Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pro-Op Appointments

hi! i was wondering if everyone is required to do the same steps for pre-op appoibtments such as psych evail & nutritionalist. I've been reading that people have done sleep tests and all sorts of other testing that i haven't had to do. also, when will i get blood work done? i get banded on the 25th and have a pre-op appointment at my doctor and registration on the 20th.

hi! i was wondering if everyone is required to do the same steps for pre-op appoibtments such as psych evail & nutritionalist. I've been reading that people have done sleep tests and all sorts of other testing that i haven't had to do. also, when will i get blood work done? i get banded on the 25th and have a pre-op appointment at my doctor and registration on the 20th.

I didn't have to do the nutritionist or the sleep study because I told him symptoms are present. I did the psych evaluation last month, I did the blood work a few weeks ago. I had to do an EKG which lead to a stress test. I had to do an UGI where I had to swallow barium. My doctor required my pap smear and mammogram to be current which they were. I had a pre op with my pcp (letter to insurance came from that one) after that stuff they submitted to insurance for approval. Then a pre op with my surgeon. My surgery is on the 22nd this month. So I did all of the requirements from September to October.

I had the nutritionist, psych evaluation, 2 sleep studies, echo, stomach scope, stress test, and monthly weigh ins. The blood test was the last thing I did. I think it goes by the practitioner and the insurance requirements and your obesity level.

I think SkinnyJenn is correct, I think it is a combination of what the doctor requires and what the insurance company requires. The doctor should be requiring what he thinks is needed for you to be what he/she would consider to be a good candidate with a good chance of being successful with it. But let's face it, with the way our medical and legal systems seem to work, part of what the doctor is asking for is to cover his back side as well, I am sure. The insurance company also will require their battery of things to prove to them that it is medically necessary and has a good chance of being successful, thereby making it a reasonable 'investment' for them. Just all my opinions, of course!

In my case, I had all the blood work done on the day of my initial visit/consult with the doctor. This included all the basic blood chemistry plus a lot of nutritional analysis to see where I might have had any deficiencies. I have been told that after 3 months post surgery they will do that again to make sure I am getting the nutrition I need. I had to meet with the nutritionist and get the psych evaluation. I know the documentation from the nutritionist included forms that needed to go to the insurance company. I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, but they used the documentation from my original sleep study 5 years ago, I did not have to do that again. Also had an EKG that was done within the last year, so they could use that. The only two other things I had to have done were the barium swallow, my understanding is that was to make sure there were no obstructions or anything else that would impact the potential success of surgery. The last thing was a breath test I had to do to check for h pylori, a bacteria that can exist in your stomach that they have to treat for before surgery if you have it.

For me, I had my first consult with the doctor in mid July, and my surgery was on October 29, so it took a little over 3 months. Some insurance companies require 3 or 6 month supervised diet programs from what my doctor said and others have posted in forums that they had to do. So I feel fairly fortunate that I got to surgery in 3 months. Based on my experience, I would make sure your doctor knows about any related exams or tests that you have had done before, it is less time consuming, and certainly less costly, to have them just get the records for things you have already done.

i hope i was told everything i needed to do. i only had to do the psych evaluation and nutritionist visit. i didn't even have a seminar. only 2 week liquid diet then come in for registration. i guess I'll find out on the 20th.

Every program is different -- I'm sure you're fine! Main thing is post-op care. That's what's really important, the regular followup visits for assessing need for a fill, how it's going, etc. Best wishes to you!

Hi kmart

I have to do all the test that was mention on this tread it took me almost 6 months I start on may and was banded nov 6 , my insurance require 3 months but it was so many test my doctor require that I ending finish all on october because I have the bacteria in my stomach and did two weeks antibiotics, good luck on you surgery!