Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couldn't Help Myself

I got rid of my larger sized clothes as soon as I could because I was so ashamed of how large I truly was. Well...since then I've often wondered about trying on something I used to wear when I was at my heaviest.

Some of that is just because I find it hard to see my new smaller size even looking in a mirror or when buying new clothes in sizes that fit me now. So...the other day, I went into my sister's closet and put on a pair of her capri pants. She is the size I used to be so I knew it would be like trying on one of my own pair of pants.

Obviously I did this when she was not around...the last thing I want to do is embarrass her in any way. This was really for me anyway...it was just convenient in terms of the size of the pants. So...I tried them on and I looked like others who have posted pics of themselves in their old sizes. There was so much excess room...the pants could have fit my nine year old granddaughter in there with me.

It was a good visual that helped to reinforce how much weight 90 lbs. really is. Sometimes the number really doesn't equate to what you see in the mirror.

It's an amazing physical validation ey?

I also recommend buying an outfit in the next size down and hang it in your closet as a visual reminder and motivator to keep going. There is nothing more rewarding than that instant gratification of putting on a new outfit that makes you feel great after losing another 10 lbs. I use to hate losing weight and than feeling bummed out by the fact that my clothes made me feel frumpy :) Nice ego booster :)

Congrats on your tremendous wl.

Should keep at least a pair or two of something you wore at your heaviest that way you can take an after photo of the new you holding up the old clothing. I have a pair of 62 jeans in a closet some where just for that purpose.

I almost got rid of the largest pair of jeans that I was wearing pre-surgery. I snatched them out of the donation bag at the last minute. They are neatly tucked away in the top of my closet. I'm going to have one of those pictures...the one where a small child and me are both standing in those pants. I'm 50lbs closer to that picture :)

It's an amazing physical validation ey?

I also recommend buying an outfit in the next size down and hang it in your closet as a visual reminder and motivator to keep going. There is nothing more rewarding than that instant gratification of putting on a new outfit that makes you feel great after losing another 10 lbs. I use to hate losing weight and than feeling bummed out by the fact that my clothes made me feel frumpy :) Nice ego booster :)

Congrats on your tremendous wl.

Oh, I've always been afraid of buying a size smaller...what if I never fit into it? Have to change some of that mindset I think because I like that idea of having something smaller to 'inspire' me. Thanks Hazel.

Ninety pounds, wow! You are amazing. You'll be taking those new hips walking and be into whatever new clothes you have waiting before you know it. I really like this idea, too. Right now I am two days into in a smaller size jeans -- one size down from what I've been in for a long time. Have been thinking about getting the next pair lined up as incentive. This cinches it!

We were in Lake Tahoe about 6 weeks before my surgery date. I saw this jacket and absolutely fell in love with it. I bought it, planning that it would fit in a few months post-op. Well, the darn thing isn't cut for my body, and though it fits, I'm going to donate it. The arms are tight, but the rest is boxy……weird. Given that, I'm not buying anything until I know it's a good fit for me :rolleyes:

I "purged" my closet yesterday...what a great feeling...got rid of all of those 22/24 pants that i will never fit into AGAIN. I gave away clothes that still had the tags on them....so ashamed of the size I was...pulled out things that were too small that fit now...i had and have so many sizes...i found brand new undies....size 9 , 8, and 7....goodness how I've expanded over the years.

Well, those days are over...thank goodness....50 lbs are gone and I'm not looking back....never thought I would be in this place only 8 weeks after surgery. I am feeling blessed and fortunate in so many ways....

Moving forward to a healthier AND skinnier me! :D