Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Discouraged

O I had my surgery on Aug 20. I went in surgery weighing 210 and today I'm only down to 195. My first fill was 1.5cc on 9/11 my second fill was another 1.5cc on 10/3 and it made me so sick dr had to take the whole 1.5cc back out. So now I only still have the 1.5cc in my band and I've only lost 23lbs since surgery on 8/20. I work out 4-5 times a week and this is all I've lost!!!!! Go back on November 20 for another fill and I can't wait because I'm eating way too much! Ready for some more weight to come off!!!!!!!

Hi J, hope you're patting yourself on the back for being 23 pounds down! That is a milestone -- breaking that two hundred threshold. And of course the closer to goal weight the slower the loss can be. Are you feeling toned from working out? That's another thing, you may be losing inches right now, not pounds. Just know it is coming off -- the scale is headed in right direction and it's all happening. You mention you are eating too much -- are you feeling hunger or is it just habit, etc.? Maybe there is something you can identify in this area -- a time and place when you're turning to food and could be doing something else. So glad you're going in to see your doctor November 20 so you can talk it through. Best wishes -- you're doing great!

Congrats on your loss!

You say "I'm eating way too much", but keep in mind the band is there to control your hunger. It's not supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. When there's adequate Fluid in it, it'll tell you when you've had enough to eat but if you choose to eat more anyway it's not going to stop you. This is a big part of why it's important to stick to band sized portions.

Also remember that weight loss comes down to simple math: When you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. The easiest way to assure this happens is to track your calories so you can be certain you're not accidentally eating too much.

Best wishes.

JF,

I understand your frustrations. However, it also feels like you are discouraged because either you had higher expectations (expected wl/month) or you are comparing results to others. 23 lbs in less than 3 months is pretty on par. Always aim for the healthy 8lb/month wl goal. This is a much more realistic goal and is much more achievable than the whopping 20+ losses some may experience (especially upfront).

I don't know why we get it in our heads that quicker loss is better- it's actually harmful to our bodies. I also struggle with understanding where and why we start expecting things we never accomplished preop. I think many of us buy into the extreme stories where someone loses 100 lbs in 3 months and we hope for the same results. But there's a huge spectrum of loss (in all 3 surgeries), the real goal- lose the excess weight. Keep to the rules, stay vigilent with food choices/portions and wl will follow.

I just wanted to chime in to say sometimes we need to focus on the mental obstacles as much as the physical ones. You'll get there, just keep going :)

Sounds like you're doing great. I agree with the others and Hazel especially when it comes to comparing yourself to others. Everyone loses differently. Larger people such as myself tend to lose faster in the beginning but it does end up slowing down eventually. Slow and steady is the name of the game but patience is difficult. At one point I was averaging 12lbs lost per month and I was still impatient and that's just plain crazy but it is also that natural "I want it now" thinking.

Missy talked about band portions. Early on I caught myself eating larger portions and my weight loss slowed down. Once I looked at it and tracked it an I realized I was not listening to my band but rather my head.

Two key things that I have learned along the way and I always revert to:

• Do you eat only when you are truly hungry? Ask yourself is my body in need of food or is it in my head. Sometimes you have to really have a conversation with yourself to figure it out.
  • How many hours can you go between meals? I can generally do 5 to 6 hours although I do not let it go that long if I can help it

Not sure if you will find those two bullets helpful but I found breaking it down like that works for me. And when I say talk to yourself I am being totally serious. If I find myself walking around the kitchen looking for something I will start asking myself do I think I want food or do I need food.

If it were me when you go back to see the Doc I would ask for 1cc and see how that goes for a day or two. Obviously 1.5 making you sick is not good. When you say sick are you throwing up? Getting food stuck?

Stick with it and keep working at it and it will come.

JF, I understand your frustrations. However, it also feels like you are discouraged because either you had higher expectations (expected wl/month) or you are comparing results to others. 23 lbs in less than 3 months is pretty on par. Always aim for the healthy 8lb/month wl goal. This is a much more realistic goal and is much more achievable than the whopping 20+ losses some may experience (especially upfront). I don't know why we get it in our heads that quicker loss is better- it's actually harmful to our bodies. I also struggle with understanding where and why we start expecting things we never accomplished preop. I think many of us buy into the extreme stories where someone loses 100 lbs in 3 months and we hope for the same results. But there's a huge spectrum of loss (in all 3 surgeries), the real goal- lose the excess weight. Keep to the rules, stay vigilent with food choices/portions and wl will follow. I just wanted to chime in to say sometimes we need to focus on the mental obstacles as much as the physical ones. You'll get there, just keep going :)

thank you so much!!!! I really needed to hear that!

Seriously 23 lbs in less then 3 months & you are a little discouraged....20 lashes with some Protein :) I do not know how much you need to lose overall but 8 lbs a month is wonderful. Keep up the good work, follow your doctors rules and take it easy on yourself!! Congrats!!

O I had my surgery on Aug 20. I went in surgery weighing 210 and today I'm only down to 195. My first fill was 1.5cc on 9/11 my second fill was another 1.5cc on 10/3 and it made me so sick dr had to take the whole 1.5cc back out. So now I only still have the 1.5cc in my band and I've only lost 23lbs since surgery on 8/20. I work out 4-5 times a week and this is all I've lost!!!!! Go back on November 20 for another fill and I can't wait because I'm eating way too much! Ready for some more weight to come off!!!!!!!

hi. Congrats on your loss. It sounds like you are doing every thing right...

I would suggest you track your calories and stop eating when you reach your daily limit. Mine was 1000 calories a day... Every day for 22 months. Some weeks I lost nothing. Some I lost 8 lbs. it's funny like that. But had i not tracked my calories I am sure I wouldn't have been as successful. I am not saying you need to eat 1000 calories... But your dr should have given you a calorie count that works for you.... And will be a life saver especially when you need a fill.

Best of luck!

You are doing much better than I have been especially this last month!! I was banded Sept. 19th and with that and the pre-op diet I have lost about 25lbs. I ended up with the stomach flu 3 days after surgery and the 2cc I had in my 10cc band had to be taken out because I got so dehydrated. I had that 2'cc replaced a week later and have had one more fill of 1cc so a total of 3cc's. I am constantly hungry and have a hard time sticking to the amounts we are supposed to eat. I have seen a nutritionist and was told to try to get 60grams of Protein in a day. I find this so hard unless I use shakes and those to hold very long and I want to eat something instead of just having liquids. I have not exercised at all yet. I am so discouraged. I weighed myself this am and I have actually gained 2lbs and have just wanted to eat sweets which is usually not what I crave at all. Tomorrow is a new day and I plan to call and get in for a fill before Thanks Giving!! I live over an hour away from the clinic and from a support group.

My bandster hell blog post...http://www.debbieposton.com/bandster-hell/

I'm going in for my 2nd fill today, I hope this really helps with the satiety between meals...

You are doing much better than I have been especially this last month!! I was banded Sept. 19th and with that and the pre-op diet I have lost about 25lbs. I ended up with the stomach flu 3 days after surgery and the 2cc I had in my 10cc band had to be taken out because I got so dehydrated. I had that 2'cc replaced a week later and have had one more fill of 1cc so a total of 3cc's. I am constantly hungry and have a hard time sticking to the amounts we are supposed to eat. I have seen a nutritionist and was told to try to get 60grams of Protein in a day. I find this so hard unless I use shakes and those to hold very long and I want to eat something instead of just having liquids. I have not exercised at all yet. I am so discouraged. I weighed myself this am and I have actually gained 2lbs and have just wanted to eat sweets which is usually not what I crave at all. Tomorrow is a new day and I plan to call and get in for a fill before Thanks Giving!! I live over an hour away from the clinic and from a support group.

Ur not gonna feel any restriction no time soon. So sorry to put it so bluntly. Expect 3-5 months of adjustments to feel consistent restriction this is the sad news they dont give us in pre-op

I was given 3cc's during surgery 2 weeks later i was starving & eating like i had no band there to stop me at all.

It will be 4 months december 1st for me im at 8ccs and the restriction is still inconsistent.

Restriction 5-7 days after the fill/adjustment. No restriction 5-7 days the 2nd week after the fill/adjustment

I go in Wednesday, day before Thanksgiving for another fill and i pray to the Heavens this will end this lap band roller coaster! Aka Bandster Hell