Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Can't Be Right...nearly 1 Month Out And 5 Lbs Lost

I tried to be patient and not panic. Unfortunately I'm finding myself wallowing. I've lost a total of 5 lbs since my surgery which was 10/21. Even the people who refer to themselves as slow losers lost more than this. Im seeing my nut and surgeon in 4 days. Im following everything as prescribed by nut and surgeon. I'm logging my food. Cals are 700-900 per day. Protein at 65-80 gms daily. I'm exercising daily for 45-90 mins.

Ive read other blogs online where RNY didn't work for people and they never really lost weight or it took them 2 years to lose 40 lbs when they needed to lose 120.

Someone please share if they also started excruciatingly slow but then the weight loss ramped up later on. I need hope!!

Panicked venting over. Thanks

I started very slowly. I even gained weight between weeks two and three! At my 6 week checkup today today I asked about it. The PA said that it's Fluid retention and fairly common. Over the last week, my weight loss has picked up a bit. Hang in there and measure yourself. You've probably lost inches.

Molly

I started very slowly. I even gained weight between weeks two and three! At my 6 week checkup today today I asked about it. The PA said that it's Fluid retention and fairly common. Over the last week, my weight loss has picked up a bit. Hang in there and measure yourself. You've probably lost inches.

Molly

Thanks for your supportive reply. I appreciate it when I'm feeling like this. Here's hoping its some serious fluid retention! I gained weight this week of 1 lb. Just seems insane considering the sheer minimal food and exercise im doing. Will definitely ask a lot of questions next week with nut and surgeon. Hopefully they can reassure me that other patients were similar.

Yep, ive lost inches, especially round my waist, but most of those were from the liquid pre-op diet.

I hope in 5-6 months time I can look back at this thread and laugh because my pounds lost increased. Thanks. Rachel

Im anxious to hear what your doctor tells you.....

I understand all of the information about your body being in shock, transition....but I bet this is terribly frustrating for you- regardless of the reason.

Keep your chin up my friend!!!

...Chelle

I havent had surgery yet, but It sounds like you're exercising a lot? You know that whole saying about muscle weighing more than fat? I agree with the person who said measure yourself. Are your clothes a little looser? Do you have more energy? I know sometimes when I take a break (ie, 2-3 days) from exercising, my loss picks up when simply "dieting." keep drinking lots of Water and following your plan...hopefully you'll wake up one morning and see a big drop!

I'm 2 weeks out and have lost 6 pounds since surgery. I find myself frustrated, then I step back and realize, I AM just two weeks out, stalls in weeks 2 and 3 are very common. I think my body will adjust better when I am able to have real food, all Protein and no carb, which will be next week.

Hang in there, I spoke to a lady before my surgery and she said she had a 39 day stall before the weight began falling off again.

We're here to support each other! I'm only 2 weeks behind you.

Hi all....Saw my nut yesterday and surgeon today. Essentially they said the same thing..." you WILL lose". I gave them all the numbers of how little ive lost; the stalls, how I've been doing everything right. They both gave me this "knowing look" as thou they had heard my concerns a thousand times before. Neither of them were concerned, in fact both were quite happy and they both said it'll happen and to be patient. I was told to stop weighing everyday as the psychological game we play with ourselves when we don't see a number we would like or expect can really play havoc.

My surgeon answered all my questions and made me feel at ease. He said I'll be seeing big changes over next 3 months and to trust the physiological and hormonal processes our RNY bodies undergo to shed the weight. So I have given away my scales and will weigh once a fortnight only. He said out if all his patients there was nobody who didn't lose as he expected. He said some patients certainly lost more than expected but his slower losers were mainly severe diabetics battling debilitating arthritis, and they still lost significant weight.

I feel relieved. I was convinced I would be the person surgery didn't work for at all. Time to take a chill pill and concentrate on my plan. .so that's what im gonna do.

Im now allowed crackers and toast! As well as salad and nuts. Got to have ny Protein first of course, but my food plan is nuch more varied now. It's great.

Rachel

Hi all....Saw my nut yesterday and surgeon today. Essentially they said the same thing..." you WILL lose". I gave them all the numbers of how little ive lost; the stalls, how I've been doing everything right. They both gave me this "knowing look" as thou they had heard my concerns a thousand times before. Neither of them were concerned, in fact both were quite happy and they both said it'll happen and to be patient.

I'm so glad this has happened to someone else. What do they know that we don't, lol. My team are so unconcerned about the fact I'm losing weight so slowly, it feels reassuring but weird. How do they know I won't be the only person in the world who doesn't lose weight after bypass ;) lol

The joys of the journey! I was a slow loser when other folks were posting about losing so much in a weeks time I would want to cry. I had stalls. I was only seeing 8lb a month loss at times but idk it's like the last 2 months it's started back in over drive and I'm losing faster and more. I actually lost 4lb in a 2 day time frame last week! Goal is in sight! Trust in the process and it will happen. It's so frustrating and sometimes it's hard a bit when it feels you aren't going as fast as some of the others. I am 7 months almost now and I remember just wanting time to fly by so it would mean more loss. Now I'm so proud of how well things worked out...even when I almost couldn't believe it would. I don't want y'all to feel bad or that you are doing something wrong, or that it isn't possible because it totally is! We just all have our different bodies that react in different ways. I can't wait to watch your journeys more along the way and hear the excitement when you get there!!! Good luck!

The joys of the journey! I was a slow loser when other folks were posting about losing so much in a weeks time I would want to cry. I had stalls. I was only seeing 8lb a month loss at times but idk it's like the last 2 months it's started back in over drive and I'm losing faster and more. I actually lost 4lb in a 2 day time frame last week! Goal is in sight! Trust in the process and it will happen. It's so frustrating and sometimes it's hard a bit when it feels you aren't going as fast as some of the others. I am 7 months almost now and I remember just wanting time to fly by so it would mean more loss. Now I'm so proud of how well things worked out...even when I almost couldn't believe it would. I don't want y'all to feel bad or that you are doing something wrong, or that it isn't possible because it totally is! We just all have our different bodies that react in different ways. I can't wait to watch your journeys more along the way and hear the excitement when you get there!!! Good luck!

Thankyou! It's wonderful to also get feedback and support from those more experienced and much further out in this insane journey. Its good to hear that a person with goal in sight also battled slow losses.

I wonder if slow losers have less excess skin issues. That would be a bonus, eh?

Molly

I wonder if slow losers have less excess skin issues. That would be a bonus, eh?

Molly

Well i hope so I'm a slow loser lol

I anticipate needing a thigh lift/lower body lift. I have always had disproportionately large thighs. My goal weight is the same weight I was at age 11 (big child). I could totally deal with baggy and saggy tummy I could tuck in or cover...but I'd love to be able to wear a skirt just above knee length or a pair of shorts. My thighs are so large that I'll be left with serious sagging. Im prone to stretch marks and my skin has little elasticity so I should really start saving for surgery!