Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. My Name Is Revs And I'm A Carboholic And Hungry!

Okay, so, we're rapidly approaching week 7 post op and I am having issues.

Not ever being full for long enough.

Now, I know that if you eat carbs, it makes you want more and yes, I have been in social/life situations over the last two weeks or so which have necessitated a few white lies to cover why I was avoiding the mash potato in its mountainous glory or the pile of fluffy white bread like the plague. Which, if you're of Irish lineage and in Ireland, is verging on the impossible to do...

However, I was told by my nutritionist that by week 7, I should be eating three square meals and snacking on only yoghurt, nuts and fruit in between. I was also informed that I should be eating my meals within 20 minutes and not drinking before or after the food.< /p>

Lovely in its idealism, but frankly, it's just not working. I am hungry.

It is true. Exactly 2-2.5 hours after consuming my meal - I AM hungry. And for the record, it's not indigestion.

Can someone please tell me of any wondrous ideas as to how I am supposed to eat and not be hungry so quickly afterwards?

I have no idea the volume I'm consuming in ounces or anything. I eat until I'm full and stop happily - because I don't want the discomfort. So, we're talking between 4-8 tablespoons of food. Approaching a third of a side plate full.

However, irrespective of cramming in the Protein and veg, exactly 2.5 hours later, my energy levels collapse and I'm a dozy, glassy-eyed incompetent (some might say this is a permanent disposition). But seriously, 6 small meals a day work better for me than three main meals - because I simply can't take enough food in to sustain me.

Which, and I am ashamed to say it, is why whilst out and about, I have eaten some convenience foods like wraps and sandwiches.....

All of this appears to be placing me in the 'grazing' category (note: I don't graze on junk) and as my scale has moved by but 1.5lbs since week 4 (bouncing up and down by 1lb in the meantime), I am starting to get concerned...

Any suggestions for this predicament would be greatly appreciated. Kinda feeling a bit miffed with it all - particularly as my nutritionist during our recent discourse offered no solution other than 'dried nuts and fruit' and kept uttering 'hmm... most unusual'..... :blink:

No real help but yes in those early days I felt like a grazer too. It gets better.

But in the early days I ate three meals and two Snacks so it was every two to three hours!

Keep it Protein dense yes because the yummy carbs will stay with you even less.

I know your nut wants only 3 squares.. But if you only measure out a bit for each meal you have to get some snacks IMHO..

Ok so at about six weeks out I was at my doctor and she was asking how much I'm eating at one time. I explained that I was getting a few bites but that's it. She said I was not consuming enough and advised that I should do several meals a day. All high Protein. She said eating more calories especially protein will speed up my weightloss as well. And you know what it worked. I'm feeling worlds better and my weight is practically melting off. Maybe talk to your doctor again and explain your issues. You do need the fuel to burn the fat. Also, have you tried Protein Bars? I've gotten were I always have one with me in my purse. If I'm out and need a little something I will have a few bites. I can't come even close to eating a whole at time so I do not worry about the carbs in it(mine have 20 carbs) I hope that helps.

Adam, I'm not suggesting you go against what your NUT says but, with as little as you eat at one time, there's no way you're getting enough calories or Protein. No wander you're hungry. I would think you would have to eat several meals per day until you are able to eat more at each meal.

Hi.. I'm in my last week of purees, week 3, and I feel like I'm gonna starve to death. I feel great except it seems whatever liquidy mush I put into my system just goes right through my stomach. I don't have any energy and I don't care if its the yukiest, healthiest thing on earth I just want some real food!

i was told to eat every two hours. Protein, Protein, protein. drink in between. sip, sip, sip. and the doc said i would be dragging ass for 6-8 weeks. i didnt actually feel "better" till week 9. so, he was right.

they didnt even pretend i could eat a "meal" i was told to eat one egg, one cheese stick, 1/4 cup cottage cheese. whatever i could fit in each time. one thing i realized right away. if i didnt eat every 2-3 hours, my blood sugar would drop and i would eat too fast the next time and everything would come back up. so listen to your body nd et when you are hungry... otherwise you just continue the cycle of disordered eating.

At 7 weeks, my Snacks were about the same size as my meals, two ounces, and with 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, I was eating every couple of hours. To me, grazing is eating constantly, not eating every few hours, but that's just my opinion. Tonight (3 months out) I had my first "square" meal since I started the journey. I got down a few ounces of meatloaf, a few ounces of peas and carrots, and two bites of bread. It was so exciting LOL. Up to now my meals tended to be a greek yogurt or turkey deli meat or tuna. No room for more than a bite of veggies and forget bread or carbs at all. So, not to tell you to go against your nut's orders, but another conversation might be in order? Heck, I still can't eat fruit and sure couldn't at 7 weeks. Good luck with this, Rev.

I eat every 2-3 hours. If I don't, I am beyond hungry and then I take anything offered, eat TOO fast, and end up hurting/regretting it! I carry cheese with me pretty much all the time, nuts, and Jerky too. I haven't done any of the Protein bars yet.

For me, it's pretty much every 3 hours or else I do feel hungry. And it's odd because it's uncomfortable…and then I look at the clock and say, "Okay. Time for more." I think when the intake is around 150-200 calories per hit, it's going to be that way.

Thanks, all. Thing is, with snacking, I'm easily hitting the 800-1200 calorie mark that he wanted me to be at.

Admittedly, I am drinking a few of my calories, in the form of fruit juice and squash and the like.

I just don't see how the 3 square meals is tenable without supplementation.

I think I'll take your words for it, not worry about too much, hope that the weight starts moving on its own and my desire to eat every 2.5 hours in order to get energy diminishes....

The thing that worries me a bit, is that he said 'because you're tall, you should be losing more quickly'. Well, that clearly isn't happening. My weightloss appear to be very slowwwwww..

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to carry on regardless and try not to listen to the little voice in the back of my head saying 'if you don't lose it within a year, you're screwed...'

great thread. My plan allows Protein supplemntation and I drink 2 unjury shakes a day.

Also a big glass of H2o can help you (briefly) feel full.

PS. The moon appears to be in the phase of Hungry.

I'd try to refocus on Protein. fruit juice isn't going to do anything for you at this stage except maybe help keep you regular. Maybe.

I do sympathize with the whole Ireland/starch thing. I spent a week there and I was continually amazed with the piles and piles of starch. (I'm Irish as well; it seems as natural as anything to eat that way.)

You do start with a relatively low BMI; is there any wisdom your doc has given you about that? I've never heard that height correlates with weight loss!

For me, it was never a question of how much or how often I ate....it was WHAT I ate. All calories are not created equal, especially the high GI foods. The starches, sweets, most fruits....they do nothing for me to alleviate hunger or fuel my body. They do increase hunger and cravings for me because I was insulin resistant. Eliminating those helps control my hunger and aid weight loss. Even now, one bite of something sweet and I'm fighting the craving to get more more more for several days.

For me, it was never a question of how much or how often I ate....it was WHAT I ate. All calories are not created equal, especially the high GI foods. The starches, sweets, most fruits....they do nothing for me to alleviate hunger or fuel my body. They do increase hunger and cravings for me because I was insulin resistant. Eliminating those helps control my hunger and aid weight loss. Even now, one bite of something sweet and I'm fighting the craving to get more more more for several days.

This is me to a Tee and I suspect many of us.

I'm at three months out. I eat 3 meals and 2 planned Snacks and hit 600-700 calories a day with no extra hunger. I get hungry for my meals, I eat a few ounce, I'm done. I eat Protein and veggies. No sliders, no fruit, no sugar, no junk.

In the last 3 months, I had ONE day while on holiday where I ate half a fried corn gorditas, about the size of a golf ball, and 2, count them Two small bites of cake. We were at a cooking class in Mexico and we'd made those so I tasted them.

Three days of hunger followed. I kid you not. I had to work hard to fight my hunger those days. Rest of the time,I don't think about food until it's time to eat. Those three days? I had the munchies.

I hate the thought that I am not normal in this regard. That I must give up carbs. I don't like it. My mind fights it. And I don't know what the long term plan will be. I only know that I can't eat them during my weight loss phase.

I realized I could have resisted tasting them and made that decision ONCE, and saved myself three days of making the decision to resist everything else the carbs made me crave.

Some of us cannot do carbs. The sooner we accept that, the easier life gets-unfair though that life may seem.

To All,

Out of interest how many calories do you consume per day? Do you even calorie count?

Do you have limits for your fats, sugar, carbs, etc?

What Protein do you eat which keeps you fuller for longer?