Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Side effects from protein

I had a nurse ask me if i was informed by my dr about the effects of consuming so much Protein some of which r kidney stones or liver damage. I had not been advised of these at all.

Anyone know if these r genuine concerns and if so what's the precautions for not doing damage ?

I don't know how true it is about all wls patients but my friend had the bypass ten months ago and she had to have a stint put in between her kidney and bladder so her kidney stones could pass. She said it was very painful.

As long as you keep up with your Water intake you should have no problems as the water helps flush your kidneys. You would have to consume TONS of Protein in order for it to have an adverse effect.

Yes I agree my friend told me to drink a lot and it would prevent kidney stones. I ment to say this in my earlier post

Thank u for the info. I appreciate it and will be diligent in my Water intake for sure.

I asked my NUT specifically how much Protein was too much because I was starving on my pre op. She said no body should consume more than 100oz per day.

I had a nurse ask me if i was informed by my dr about the effects of consuming so much Protein some of which r kidney stones or liver damage. I had not been advised of these at all.

Anyone know if these r genuine concerns and if so what's the precautions for not doing damage ?

Yeah drink Water and a lot of it. I had kidney stones 6 weeks after surgery...

Yeah drink Water and a lot of it. I had kidney stones 6 weeks after surgery...

Oh no!!!! That seems so unfair!

I passed a Calcium type of kidney stone last year (no sleeve) and was told not to take calcium supplements because it would cause more. So, one NUT said calcium supplements, I asked about another stone. She said that sun e I have had a stone before, my Water intake needs to be between 80-100 oz instead of the usual 64 a day.

I passed a Calcium type of kidney stone last year (no sleeve) and was told not to take calcium supplements because it would cause more. So' date=' one NUT said calcium supplements, I asked about another stone. She said that sun e I have had a stone before, my Water intake needs to be between 80-100 oz instead of the usual 64 a day.[/quote']

Wow, that's a lot of water. You must have really beautiful skin :)

I asked my NUT specifically how much Protein was too much because I was starving on my pre op. She said no body should consume more than 100oz per day.

Interesting, I consume about 150-170 g protein on average a day. There are others on this site that also consume higher amounts. I also drink lots and lots of Water, about 180-200 oz on average a day. Urine color is fine, no ammonia smell and, so far, no stones. Those that wish to build muscle need at eat at least 1 g of protein per bodyweight. My body weight is between 172-178, depending on bounce. I typically get close, to 1 g per lb but not quite there, so tend to preserve muscle and not gain muscle when combined with strength training during the week.

Interesting' date=' I consume about 150-170 g Protein on average a day. There are others on this site that also consume higher amounts. I also drink lots and lots of Water, about 180-200 oz on average a day. Urine color is fine, no ammonia smell and, so far, no stones. Those that wish to build muscle need at eat at least 1 g of protein per bodyweight. My body weight is between 172-178, depending on bounce. I typically get close, to 1 g per lb but not quite there, so tend to preserve muscle and not gain muscle when combined with strength training during the week.[/quote']

You should always follow the the advice of your NUT. That is what mine told me but obviosly your situation is different than mine. I'm glad what you're doing is working for you. :))

Oh no!!!! That seems so unfair!

It's the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Been getting in my Water daily and it's been fine as of now. But let me tell you it's a pain like no other. And you don't want one! I'd never wish it on anyone not even my worst enemy.