Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats the deal with no coffee anyhow?

Was told no coffee, I keep reading it, but I have yet to understand why.

What I have been told is because it irritates the stomach. coffee or really caffeine isn't great for a normal stomach. I guess it's worse on a sleeve. I don't plan to give up coffee forever, but certainly for a few months while my stomach is still healing. I was never a big coffee drinker, just one cup on weekdays before work or occasional Starbucks latte. I will probably go more with just an occasional coffee.

Lisa is right above. I am now 2 years out and drink about 5 cups of regular coffee w/ powder Creamer. OCC. stomach will tell me not to have that much. Most of the time no problem. But, of course everyone is different. Linda

Yes it's acidic plus it's a diuretic so it can get you dehydrated easily in the beginning when you can't take in much liquids at once..

That being said I do drink half regular half Decaf now, but I didn't have my first cup until about 4 months out :)

It is considered not a good idea for the first while until you get the intake of Water under control..coffee or anything with caffeine is a diuretic and so that is part of the reason they are a no no for the first while.....

Was told no coffee, I keep reading it, but I have yet to understand why.

My dietician told me that it can dehydrate you. I believe it from the years of seeing a trainer before gaining weight. Our tummies are tiny and we need to stay hydrated. coffee does the opposite. It was hard for me to give up my addiction to caffeine. I went through a 3 day detox. I decided to buy some wonderful teas from Teavana that are caffeine free. Now it's the ritual of my morning hot tea. Plus it counts as liquid intake. :-)

also, your tummy is gonna be so small, you don't have room for coffee. If you feel your stomach with coffee, you will not be able to get in your Protein....

I ask my doc before I had surgery if he was going to take away my morning cup o' joe and he told me just for 3-4 weeks after surgery. I'm over 5 months now and have been having my 1 cup of coffee in the am. since about 2 months out, it has never given me a problem, but I make sure to get enough other liquid in to compensate for it.

Almost 2 weeks out, my nut said a cup of coffee is OK as long as getting Water in. I tried Decaf today and have awful heartburn. Won't be doing that again anytime soon!!