Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of old habits!

I seem to have this underlying fear of returning to my old habits. I keep having dreams of eating things I shouldn't and drinking diet soda. I wake up feeling so guilty and have to remind myself it was only a dream! I just started puréed foods on 10/18 because I had a leak and was on tpn for 4 weeks. So, I really had nothing but Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes for almost 3 months. That's when the fear started showing up. I guess I'm just so afraid of failing yet again. I know this time is different, but it's hard to kick that demon out of my brain! I've been doing great as far as weight loss goes. I lost a total of 98.6 pounds. 45 before surgery and 53.6 since surgery. Maybe I can use the underlying fear as a tool to keep me on track. Just wondering if anyone else out there feels like this too.

I have had dreams too of the same thing. One night I dreamt I was eating a whole big bag of Fritos and drinking a Pepsi. When I woke up I felt panicked because if the food I just "ate". Lol. There have been others too.

I have dreams like that too. My first night home from the hospital I dreamed I found three king-size Snickers bars in my bathroom and ate two of them before I remembered that I am sleeved and can't do that. Lately I've had a couple of dreams about finding/being offered trays and tables and platters of delicious Cookies and I start eating them. So obviously there's stuff floating around in my brain somewhere about all this! But on the good side, I've been sleeved for four months and not taken a single bite off plan, or been seriously tempted to (while awake!). And yes, I keep the fear of past failures repeating themselves front and center, to remind myself that I am not invincible just because I am sleeved. I don't know if what we are feeling is "normal," but at least so far it is working for me . . . good luck to you! :)

I think that the fear is what keeps us on plan. I paid cash, so I really had no BEFORE surgery story. I went in to the dr. decided to have surgery, two weeks later it was done. Best thing I ever did - down 100 lbs since May. But maybe it was because I didn't do a "before" surgery program that "after" surgery has been my verision of detoxic. I dreamt (asleep & awake) about sodas (Dr. Peppers) and salty junk foods for at least 3 months. Honestly whoever said it takes 28 days to break a habit apparently wasn't addicted to anything! After surgery I reallly realize how addicted I was to food. I love the feeling, the energy I have now. I've lost 100 and have 100 to go - so I know its only going to get better. Yes somedays I eat small bites of food that I shouldn't - but never, never soda. I'm terrified that if I let myself drink even one soda, I'll let everything slide - then 'll be that ONE that the surgery didn't work. I'm just shy of 6 months out & I still dream of food also. I don't expect it to stop - we just have to be strong while we are awake!! Good luck as you recover - we can do this!!

Teresa

Use the fear. Use ANYTHING to keep control of the evil "wanna be fat" brain.

I am having surgery tomorrow but keep having dreams about having babies (I don't have kids)....so what does that mean? Lol

I am having surgery tomorrow but keep having dreams about having babies (I don't have kids)....so what does that mean? Lol

A new life ahead of you. New beginnings. It's all good :) and the very best if luck to you tomorrow. Do post when you can to let us know how it's gone.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one.