Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No re-routing of internal plumbing. No malabsorption issues and no dumping syndrome.

Edited by nsquared

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that most people here picked the sleeve...

With that being said it really is a personal choice.

For me I did not want the rerouting of organs and having the malabsorption and dumping issues of the bypass

But wanted something more "permanent" than the lap band so the sleeve it was..

I was a band revision 3 mths ago. I chose the sleeve for the same as the above posters: No malabsorbtion, no dumping (but I still can't eat ice cream cuz it causes tummy cramping and diarrhea). I also liked the fact that I wasn't gunna look gaunt - I would lose slower (as I did with the band).

So glad to see the lapband isn't on ur list of things to choose from. Had mine for almost 4 yrs and the 1st 2 were great, the last 2 weren't so great. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

Good luck on ur choice. Also, I've known several people who regained almost all the weight they lost with the bypass. It's easier to stretch out ur intestines (which r still stretchy) than to stretch out the part of ur tummy they actually leave (the 85% they take out contains the stretchy part. It will stretch a LITTLE over time, but no where near where it was). Even tho there's no long term data on the sleeve, I've heard the regain is much less.

What Laura-ven said. The bypass scares the crap out of me because of all the malabsorption. I don't like the rerouting of the intestines either. I had a lady come in and tell me that she had tried to convince her husband to let her get it done and he was totally against it. I saw him last week and he decided that I look so much better and healthy that he is all for her getting it done now.

Sleeve-because of what the above posters said.

i agree with the other posters. the bypass scared me as well b/c of the messing around with the other organs. I originally came into it thinking lap band but after research and this site decided sleeve was better. would hate to have gone with band and end up need a revision

Well I am anemic so bypass was off the table , I didn't want the band after I researched it more , so since I was a self pay and this was my one shot the sleeve was the best choice for me as well !!!! No regrets 6 weeks our 30 lbs down :)

Sleeve was the only surgery I ever considered. Best decision I ever made.