Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...having regrets

I got sleeved 9/11/2013. In that time I've only lost 20lbs. I actually seem the scale go up three pounds. I had the lap band in 2006 and it was taken out the same time I was sleeved. I'm still a little nauseous,constantly, i have a bad taste in my mouthand I still can't recognize my full feeling as of yet and it had been five weeks out. I'm now having a little regret about getting sleeved. I know it was for the best because I was gaining about 7 pounds month. I was binging a lot. But I find myself eating the top off the pizza not because I'm hungry but because I'm frustrated. I wont see the murse until layer this week, im a little embarresed to speak to the psy on staff. fo upu reslly think psy really help or is there a self help book you can recommend. Thanks for your reply in advance.

I also was sleeved 9/11. I too am still dealing with being nauseated. However, it's getting better. It sounds like it is for you as well. I think a psych would be a good idea if you are eating out of frustration. To keep loosing weight we need to super focus on eating only out of need. Im struggling to eat enough Protein ;/ But, I just keep trucking along trying to find the balance. As for the not recognizing when you are full...This is a learning process. We hit the reset button when we got sleeved. It will take some time to learn our new little tummies. I still eat that extra bite and regret it afterwards sometimes. Not because Im trying to do that, it's just Im not completely in tune with my tummy enough yet.

Im sorry you are regretting :/ Im sure if you talk to a psych, and work out these feelings of frustrations in a better manner you will better about your decision. Maybe write down a list of all the reasons you decided you NEEDED this surgery. And, I too was gaining weight at an alarming rate. This surgery has definitely stopped that in its tracks. I am so thankful to have the chance to finally take control.

As for the slow weight loss, we are ALL different. Talk to your NUT and see if you can switch up something in your diet to kick start it. Do you eat enough Protein, fluids? Maybe add in a little (more?) walking to your routine as well. I stalled for over 10 days before I just started loosing again.

I hope you can get out of the funk you're in. I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is our time to shine. My doc. said give these next 6mos. everything you got and then some. I will continue to do that personally. If I loose slow but know Im doing things correctly, Im not going to hound over #'s. Im just going to remind myself where I was headed before, and this of where Im headed now :)

Best of luck.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't get anything out of self-help books. I feel much better and get better feedback by talking to a person. I would talk to the psy. They are compassionate people and want to genuinely help. There's nothing you could tell them that they haven't already heard and know all those little details that can make the difference between success and failure.

Don't feel bad about what you are experiencing. From my experience, and from what I have read here, what you are going through is quite normal. I would estimate almost everybody has at least one day where they say to themselves, "OMG, WTF did I do to myself!?"

But, just to let you know, 20 pounds in less than a month is freaking awesome. When have you ever been able to do that and know that it is going to stay off? Obviously your expectations for initial weight loss were not realistic, but your reality is still VERY good. As far as talking to your psy, there is an old saying:

We are only as sick as our secrets

To not share something you know you need to would be worse than not sharing at all, in the long run. Tell me, what would be the worst thing that could happen if you do talk to them? What could be the best? I have found that, "Patient, HEAL THYSELF!" seldom works. It is my belief that pretty much every person getting WLS has issues with their relationship with food, though only a small percentage will admit to it and an even smaller percentage will seek help to deal with it. Each of us must find our own way and asking for help does not mean we are weak. Quite the opposite, actually.

Sounds like you are in the 3 week stall. It to shall pass! I am a really slow loser, so twenty lbs sounds GREAT! I suggest making sure you chart your weight, mine goes up and down and all over the place. I know I lose slower partially because I was a band to sleeve conversion. I'm eating less, but not a lot less. It's frustrating, but I AM LOSING! Here is a shot of my last 3 mos.

post-55384-13838396339757_thumb.jpg

Good luck!

I've only lost 20lbs.

I was gaining about 7 pounds month.

In 5 weeks you lost 3 months of gained weight. You would be 7lbs heavier than you were before the sleeve. If you focus on the process you will see the results. you don't want to lose more than 4-5 lbs a week anyway. If you continue losing in 5 months you will be down nearly 100lbs. That is AMAZING.

If you have an issue with eating, you need to talk to someone, but you should feel great that you lost 3 months of gained weight in 4 weeks.

Thank you everyone!! I took every single word of advice to heart. I feel so much better now. First thing in the morning I'm gonna call and make an appointment to see the Psyc. I'm gonna track my food intake and on Thurs I'll see the NUT. As for today, I can not stress how much better I feel. It's like getting a new pair of seeing glasses. Thank you guys so much and God bless you on your journey

I too was band to sleeve on 9/10/13. Although I have no regrets, I have only lost 21 lbs. My Dr. told me that since I was not a "virgin" WLS patient, I would lose slower than first timers. I hope he is right. I get on these sites and see all these people loosing 30-50 lbs in the same amount of time. BUT they are maybe larger, have more to lose than I do. I just keep plugging along. My clothes are fitting better, actually hanging is more like it. One day, I hope to get on the scale and have lost a bunch of weight. Over the weekend, we went to the movies. First time in 2 months. I ate popcorn. I thought, I wont' be able to eat much. NOT. I did not eat as much as I have, but seems like quite a bit. I felt bad afterward. SO the next day, back to the walking, and Monday, back to the gym. Did more than I usually do. Just hang in there.

It's mistake to compare your speed to someone else. I lost 150...doesn't even matter the rate anymore. I felt fairly crappy the first 6 weeks... returning to human over about 12 weeks. Just keep on improving and seeking the support you need.