Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating capacity for males

I had a heart attack a couple years ago so I feel like I have to do cardio to prevent one from ever happening again. I guess I can let up for a while until I can consume more calories since something has to give. Thanks for the input.

You can do HIIT if you're medically cleared for it instead of steady state biking. Or, you can just do steady state cardio on a treadmill with a high incline and low speed. Hill sprints are my favorite form of cardio, doesn't take long and has every lasting cardiovascular effects. You can also do barbell/dumbbell/bodyweight complexes instead of regular cardio. If nothing else you could lower the frequency of cardio to offset the weight loss.

(which at low carb doing cardio is a slippery slope to being with) ......

Hey Mark. Ever do any research on MAF training? Phil Maffetone? He's trained some of the best triathletes that have ever lived. Low carb cardio can be very successful, not to mention preferable to insulin resistant, carb addicted folks like myself. It's all a matter of keeping the HR in the proper zone.

Hey Mark. Ever do any research on MAF training? Phil Maffetone? He's trained some of the best triathletes that have ever lived. Low carb cardio can be very successful, not to mention preferable to insulin resistant, carb addicted folks like myself. It's all a matter of keeping the HR in the proper zone.

For fat loss, muscle retention, I'm not for aerobic function training. For triathlete trainees, longevity runners, there's a different approach established. High intensity sustained cardio is going to require carbs, the glycogen/glucose response, traditionally. This response, obviously, is if he's in low enough carb to be burning ketones instead of fat. Extreme intensity (MAF Training), in my individuals is going to catabolize muscle mass in the process while obtaining glucose from amino's and glycerol in forms of cortisol and glucagon. With low intensity sustained cardio, this isn't AS MUCH of an issue. Even with high intensity interval training you'll have some chemical responses that are less that ideal for maintaining muscle mass, but losing weight and what the scale shows rules 99% of the minds of those who are overweight. Many people running a low carb approach think they can go balls to the walls during their cardio sessions and they're doing good. It's an issue of QUALITY over QUANTITY when it comes to the weight lost. Muscle, or fat. Low carb is all about mobilizing fat for weight loss. I just wouldn't recommend any sort of medium or high range heart rate training for anyone looking to maintain and add solid mass. For running, it works.

Admittedly however, my realm of study and work comes from the power side. When it comes to distance running, I don't have much experience there.

Digging around, here are some studies with information for those interested.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19088769

http://jp.physoc.org/content/575/3/901.abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18362686

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15601959

I'm certainly not saying MAF cardio isn't good for people, or for people such as yourself. I'm only going off what I've learned and what I've been taught through the years. As a strength athlete, if I were to train at 180% targeted HR? I'd be kissing my strength goodbye, as the guy who asked the question has been.

I am just over 6 months out and can eat a small chicken breast with some gravy or cheese on it with 3-4 oz of veggies. If I have any starch it cuts into how much Protein or veggies I get in. The amount had increased to this point about 2 months ago and have plateaued significantly. My weight loss has slowed but is still good and my energy level continues to increase. At this point I have more energy by a fair amount than I did before surgery. I can eat anything but the few times I had a piece of cake I felt odd after only 3-4 bites so I stay away from that. I am eating about 1200-1500 cal a day. Oh, and I can have a beer but it's not as much fun since it takes about 45 min to drink it. Water or G2 goes down quickly, about 4 oz at a time, wait 30 sec and repeat. I can drink within 2 min of eating but after eating no drinking for 30 min.

Best of luck

I'm around three months out and I can definitely eat more than I could even a month ago. Sometimes I'm full after a few bites of something, other times I can eat alot more. It depends on what I'm eating and how I chew. The times when I feel like I can eat more than usual I get concerned that I've stretched my sleeve. I gave up on trying to get the answers I've been looking for regarding stretching though. Even when I can eat "alot" it's still far, far less than I could ever eat in my life. It's pretty awesome.

I'm around three months out and I can definitely eat more than I could even a month ago. Sometimes I'm full after a few bites of something, other times I can eat alot more. It depends on what I'm eating and how I chew. The times when I feel like I can eat more than usual I get concerned that I've stretched my sleeve. I gave up on trying to get the answers I've been looking for regarding stretching though. Even when I can eat "alot" it's still far, far less than I could ever eat in my life. It's pretty awesome.

As far as the stretching, there is very little "scientific" evidence. But imagine stretching an unaltered stomach. It takes decades of over stuffing to stretch it. Now imagine that they removed the most elastic part and you're left with the 15% that's toughest to stretch....how long is that going to take to stretch? It's going to take a long time of consistent over eating. I'm talking eating to pain and discomfort. Early on, 1 bite too many can cause discomfort but 1 bite does not stretch a stomach. I'm talking about 3 extra pieces of pizza after you're full. That's how you stretch a stomach. If you're not abusing your sleeve in such a manner, you're not stretching it. Capacity to eat does increase over time as we adapt and heal, but that doesn't mean our intake has to increase with it. That's why I like to weigh and measure my food. Eating to fullness is what got me in this mess in the first place. I don't trust it. Now my goal is to never be full....but rather to be not hungry.

I'm talking about 3 extra pieces of pizza after you're full. That's how you stretch a stomach. If you're not abusing your sleeve in such a manner, you're not stretching it. Capacity to eat does increase over time as we adapt and heal, but that doesn't mean our I naked has to increase with it. That's why I like to weigh and measure my food. Eating to fullness is what got me in this mess in the first place. I don't trust it. Now my goal is to never be full....but rather to be not hungry.

I think my sleeve likes the abuse........I'm pretty sure it's a fetish thing. ;)

Seriously, those are good points "butter". My Dr explained it like this........... It becomes more "accommodating" than actually stretching. Kind of like an older broken in sneaker. The sneaker isn't really bigger or stretched thin after it's been around a while, it's just more pliable and allows just a little more food/foot to be put in. He said if sneakers actually stretched and didn't wear out, we could just use the same sneaker our whole lives from 3 years old through adulthood. But we can't and eventually as children, we cannot fit anymore foot in the sneaker and have to buy new shoes. So our sneaker sleeves only allow just a little more food in a few months after surgery....then it stops. :P

I think my sleeve likes the abuse........I'm pretty sure it's a fetish thing. ;)

Seriously, those are good points "butter". My Dr explained it like this........... It becomes more "accommodating" than actually stretching. Kind of like an older broken in sneaker. The sneaker isn't really bigger or stretched thin after it's been around a while, it's just more pliable and allows just a little more food/foot to be put in. He said if sneakers actually stretched and didn't wear out, we could just use the same sneaker our whole lives from 3 years old through adulthood. But we can't and eventually as children, we cannot fit anymore foot in the sneaker and have to buy new shoes. So our sneaker sleeves only allow just a little more food in a few months after surgery....then it stops. :P

That is a great analogy. I'm going to have to steal it.

Yes, my surgeon likened it to a wallet. Here is how I play it in my head:

When you get your new wallet, the credit cards, license, business cards and money fit tightly. Takes a bit of wriggling to get everything in. Then, when you sit, it is uncomfortable. You have to wiggle around to get comfortable. But, over time, as you pull the cards and money in and out, things begin to slip in easier. It molds to your butt and becomes comfortable.

Now, later, after finding the wallet's capacity, if I try to stuff 10 business cards in it when I am at a conference or something, sure, it accommodates and is not comfortable to sit on again, but it is temporary, As soon as I get back to my hotel room and take out the cards, everything is back to its comfortable self and suffers no long term damage from stuffing those 10 business cards in.

Now, if I stuff 10 business cards in everyday, then 15 ... then 20 ... over a long period of time, sure, it is going to be all out of whack, but whilst I was stuffing those cards, I sure would be uncomfortable doing it. I would know that I am trying to do something I should not be doing.

Time to go to wallet-stuffers anonymous!

Costanza%20wallet.jpg

That is a great analogy. I'm going to have to steal it.

That's fine with me.....I stole it from Dr. :)

Yes, my surgeon likened it to a wallet. Here is how I play it in my head:

When you get your new wallet, the credit cards, license, business cards and money fit tightly. Takes a bit of wriggling to get everything in. Then, when you sit, it is uncomfortable. You have to wiggle around to get comfortable. But, over time, as you pull the cards and money in and out, things begin to slip in easier. It molds to your butt and becomes comfortable.

Now, later, after finding the wallet's capacity, if I try to stuff 10 business cards in it when I am at a conference or something, sure, it accommodates and is not comfortable to sit on again, but it is temporary, As soon as I get back to my hotel room and take out the cards, everything is back to its comfortable self and suffers no long term damage from stuffing those 10 business cards in.

Now, if I stuff 10 business cards in everyday, then 15 ... then 20 ... over a long period of time, sure, it is going to be all out of whack, but whilst I was stuffing those cards, I sure would be uncomfortable doing it. I would know that I am trying to do something I should not be doing.

Time to go to wallet-stuffers anonymous!

That's a lot better than what I had! Wallets, sneakers.....I see a theme here. Our sleeves are basically leather. :D

This is all the best info on stretching I've seen. The main question I was always looking for an answer to is... how long does it take? Based on what I'm reading here, I'm pretty confident that I don't have to worry about it being stretched after three months. If I only get really "full" every now and then and I think I can count on one hand how many times I've had discomfort, I guess my stomach isn't stretched and I'm good!

For me, things got to what I refer to comfortable in my earlier post at about the 6/7 month post op. That is when I was able to eat a few bites of meat and salads didn't leave my stomach going flippy floppy. Mind you, portions were still very small and I wasn't "eating around" my sleeve. For the most part, I was very compliant with the guidelines. I stopped eating BEFORE my new understanding of what full is.

If you find that when you are past this point and you are questioning whether you have stretched your sleeve, first off, KNOW that it really isn't possible. What you are most likely experiencing is due to eating around your sleeve. I know that I can eat 8 oz of broth type Soups no problem. Just like I could pre-sleeve. It is like I never had the surgery. Have I been stretching my sleeve? No, my pyloric valve is able to open and move contents into the intestines before I finish. If I chew really well, I don't feel the discomfort if I had chewed well.

Experiment with a Protein bar if you don't believe me. Eat half the bar the way you did pre-sleeve, large bites and not chewing as well. Commit how you feel to memory. Next day, eat the other half taking smaller bites and chew really well. Take a second before taking the next bite. Notice how you feel. Are you able to finish the bar? Is there any difference with how you felt the day before. Try this with other foods.

Really, you can't stretch your sleeve the way some panicked pre or newly sleeved folk may be thinking. I truly believe it is a result of how and what we eat. If you don't believe me, experiment for yourself. That is what I did.

There's also the cottage cheese test....if you want to know your actual stomach capacity. This test was designed for RNY (like most things) but it works with the sleeve as well. Have fun.

http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=A4

Purchase a container of small curd low-fat cottage cheese.< /p>

Begin the test with a full container of cottage cheese, and perform the test in the morning before eating anything else. This will be your Breakfast on that day.

Eat fairly quickly until you feel full (less than five minutes). Note that the small soft curds do not require much chewing. You are eating rapidly so you will fill the pouch before there is time for any food to flow out of it. After eating your "fill" of cottage cheese, you will be left with a partially eaten container that has an empty space where cottage cheese used to be.

Measure the volume of cottage cheese you have eaten by filling a two cup (16 fl.oz.) measuring cup with Water. Pour Water into the container of cottage cheese until the water level rises to the original top level of the cottage cheese.

The amount of water poured into the container is the functional size of your pouch.