Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I was banded Monday, came home yesterday and still recovering today. So much has pains. I am nervous about what my food choices should be. I know eggs, tuna and yogurt. But what about real food? I have 4 small children and need Mushie receipes that we all can eat. Thanks!

Your doctor didn't give you instructions . I was on clear liq for 4 days full liquid for 2 weeks mushy for a week then soft . You shouldn't be eating real food yet as you heal.

food choices? Hmm...I was banded on October 24th and I'm still on an all liquid diet. Friday hopefully I'll be switched over to puréed foods. Your doctor should have given you clear instructions on what you can have while healing.

I was banded Monday as well. I was given Jello and apple juice in the hospital and did not do well, due to nausea from anesthesia. Dr told me to just do liquids until I was hungry and could move on to mushies (which is what I was to be on this week)

My instructions were things like cream of wheat, oatmeal, apple sauce, instant mashed potatoes, jello, cottage cheese, creamed Soups and pudding. I did cream of wheat, cottage cheese and creamed Soup today along with my Protein Shakes. Your surgeons office should have given you clear instructions on what you should be eating and at what time. As you can see we are all on a different eating schedule with different recommended items to eat.

I was given instructions. Right after surgery was Clear Liquids until the upper gi which was Tuesday and then straight to mushies. I had to eat cream if wheat and tuna fish in the hospital and hold it down before I could leave. My doctor calls stage 2 "mushies" which lasts 6-8 weeks pre-op. things like meatballs. Turkey burgers. Anything that can mush with a fork is what I should be eating. I was hoping for some receipe suggestions.

You can pretty much make any food mushy if you throw in the blender and chop it up. Make what your family likes to eat, and then throw your portion into the blender and whip it up a few seconds till it's a paste like consistency.

Like the others here I was on liquids for 2 weeks and then mushy then soft foods like eggs and flaky fish and then to solids so go slow and follow what your doctor advised you to do.

Although I am very surprised that you are on food already, that isnt' for me to discern if that is your surgeon's directive.

My favorite mushies were tuna salad, chicken salad, and ESPECIALLY fat free refried Beans with low fat sour cream and light cheese...sometimes I would add ground taco meat also.

Your surgeon should have given you a list of foods you could eat and if not then you need to call them. My question is though why does your kids have to eat mushies just because you are on them?

Your surgeon should have given you a list of foods you could eat and if not then you need to call them. My question is though why does your kids have to eat mushies just because you are on them?

That was my question. My husband and son will not be eating liquids, full liquids and mushies after my band is installed. They are certainly not enjoying my pre-op diet. LOL Families do need to learn to adapt to a family member's special diet but they don't necessarily have to follow along.

Hi everyone. I was banded Monday, came home yesterday and still recovering today. So much has pains. I am nervous about what my food choices should be. I know eggs, tuna and yogurt. But what about real food? I have 4 small children and need Mushie receipes that we all can eat. Thanks!

Hi Kwincie,

I came home and was on liquids until I saw the doc 9 days later, so for 9 days I ate cream of broccoli Soup that I watered down with veggie broth, cream of Tomato Soup and Protein shakes - I liked the Atkins ones (they had to be low sugar). I was told not to have anything with more than 6 grms of carbs and was shooting for 60-80 grms of Protein and 64 oz of fluids. Of course Jello, pudding and Yogurt helped get me thru the days as well although finding yogurt with little carbs is hard - I found one with 9 grms of carbs and felt I was close enough.

It was a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng 10 days but I made it, so when I saw him he said the pain in my shoulder was from the hernia repair and would take 4-6 weeks to stop hurting - he said normal pain from surgery. He then wanted me to go onto the soft diet stage of the diet, soft Proteins and to follow an Atkins kind of a diet. I've been eating Salmon (I like mine medium rare and soft and moist) and I just made Suzanne Summer's Swedish meatballs and they are really good. I am following a low carb high Protein diet and eating 4-5 times a day about 4-8 oz per time.

I have no restriction, so I can gulp Water - probably not what I'm supposed to do b/c once the band is tightened I'm sure that I won't be able to - but I can now.

I have had a sweet potato and mashed potatoes and both times I felt like I was cheating, the mashed potatoes were the best thing I've eaten, I probably had 1/2 cup and was done for the day.

I'm on here scrolling to see what people are eating to get some ideas too... the refried Beans sounds good - oh, on Saturday I took my daughters to a b'day party where they were serving tocos, I had guac and taco meat - it was yummy but after about less than 1/2 cup I was done - it was really rich - more fat than I had had for a long time.

For Breakfast I'm making spinach, salsa and eggs - I take fresh spinach and put it in a frying pan with non-stick spray and sprinkle 2 TBS of fresh salsa (not the jar stuff) and cover for a minute or so and then I take two eggs and crack them right on top with a teeny sprinkle of salt - cover for 3 minutes and it's been very satisfying :) - eating slow at the table is another big feat for me... I'm a graze at the counter kind of a gal - so trying new habits.

For those who read this, especially if you are less than 6 months banded - I'd love to hear what you are eating???

oh - and I have 3 kids, 3yrs old and 10 & 11 - they are eating their usuals & I'm just staying focused and eating what I'm supposed to be eating - the mashed potatoes were for my 11 yr old and I had to try em... so good but oh so bad :(

You have to do what's best for your family - I do like it when we all eat the same thing but I've relinquished some of that desire b/c they aren't battling food addiction like me and as long as they are staying away from fast food and processed foods I feel like I'm doing my job as a mom/wife.