Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering getting banded

Welcome Ruth.. First of all one thing to remember, everyone is different.. I have found very few things I cannot eat.. The rules are there for a purpose.. eating slowly, chewing well and no drinking with meals are standard.. I take Multivitamin, D3 and B12 daily. nothing else.. occassionally I have to take some milk of mag .. losing slowly is healthier and the band is reversible should you have a medical issue .. I did not want 85% of my stomach removed or re-routed..I chose the band as the least invasive and easiest to recover from. The band will allow you to control the portions.. You will get signals if you try to overeat and once you are at the right restriction it will be easier. There are always challenges but the rewards are so great. I have lost 55 lbs since my surgery and I am no longer a diabetic, have normal blood pressure and my cholesterol is under control.. Don't let anyone especially family get you down.. do your thing.. You will be able to show them how you can lose weight and keep it off soon. Best of Luck to you. Keep us posted... ask any questions you have, most importantly is follow your Dr.'s instructions...

Good luck! please let me know how it goes.

Hi Ruth, thanks so much. The surgery went beautifully -- I am just finding your thread again as the website overhaul has me pretty lost. Getting into some kind of exercise program ahead of time really helped me, even though I had to talk myself into it each and every time. Since getting banded I look forward to it (who is this person?). Good luck with your process. I am feeling like this is the best thing I've done in I don't know how long. Best wishes!

Does anyone have issues with lose skin??

Loose skin is a reality for anyone who loses a lot of weight, regardless of how they lose it. The fact is, when we gain weight we stretch our skin and when we finally lose that weight the excess skin doesn't just magically shrink down and snap back into place.

Genetics and your starting weight will determine how much loose skin you may need to deal with. Some people are able to firm up some of their loose skin post weight loss through exercise but for the majority of us it is a reality with which we will have to deal.

Better loose skin. Than morbid obesity, in my opinion. :)

well i am 39 yrs old . i went to my seminar last month. i go on the 22nd of this month for my first consult. i am so sike up . i just cant wait.....

Welcome Ruth.. First of all one thing to remember, everyone is different.. I have found very few things I cannot eat.. The rules are there for a purpose.. eating slowly, chewing well and no drinking with meals are standard.. I take Multivitamin, D3 and B12 daily. nothing else.. occassionally I have to take some milk of mag .. losing slowly is healthier and the band is reversible should you have a medical issue .. I did not want 85% of my stomach removed or re-routed..I chose the band as the least invasive and easiest to recover from. The band will allow you to control the portions.. You will get signals if you try to overeat and once you are at the right restriction it will be easier. There are always challenges but the rewards are so great. I have lost 55 lbs since my surgery and I am no longer a diabetic, have normal blood pressure and my cholesterol is under control.. Don't let anyone especially family get you down.. do your thing.. You will be able to show them how you can lose weight and keep it off soon. Best of Luck to you. Keep us posted... ask any questions you have, most importantly is follow your Dr.'s instructions...

Sharpie you hit the nail on the head.

Good Morning everyone,

I'm Ruth 26 years old single mother of 1. I have been struggling with weight loss all my life and done every diet out there. I've been teased by my family over and over and i'm tired of not feeling comfortable in my own skin. I have thought about surgery before but this is the first time i have gone through taking the first step. I actually went through 1ststep.com and they got me in contact with a doctor in my area. I had a seminar over the weekend and it eased my mind on getting the lap band. It sounds like a more natural way of losing weight. I had told them i would need a few days to think about it because any type of surgery could be nerve wrecking, but i decided to more forward with the lap band.

Welcome Ruth I went to the seminar in August. I went to my first visit in September. I had my psychological evaluation and UGI test two weeks later. I had a second meeting with my doctor in October. In November just check in on my progress. Now I am waiting for my group support meeting, lab work, EKG and medical clearance either the end of November or beginning of December. Next stop is surgery. Hope everything works quickly for you please keep me posted.