Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Denied from Insurance, appealed with employer and waiting

I was denied by the insurance 3 times, after completing everything they required each time. My employer is self insured, so I have now appealed with my employer. I've been waiting another month and still haven't received an answer yet, just that they are still reviewing it....I started this process in December 2012. It's coming up on a year now. I've been getting really discouraged here lately thinking I've wasted all this time and energy on something that isn't going to happen. For now, I decided to continue to eat healthy and exercise and hope for the best. I've thought about paying out of pocket, but that really isn't feasible right now. It is disappointing because it took me a long time to come to the conclusion that the lapband may be the only way for me to lose the weight i have been trying to lose for a good five years now with not much progress. I thought this would be the year that I finally had something that would help me get over that big hump and really be able to make some progress. It seems like that isn't going to happen, but I'm trying to hold out hope that my employer will approve and maybe this will happen this year.

Dont give and and turn this all over to God it will come in his time when you are ready. Good for you for sticking to eating healthy and you might fine some added help but getting so cousoling that never hurt anyone and can be very uplifting...

Hi there, I hope you get word soon -- I use the squeaky wheel approach sometimes with a little catch more flies with honey thrown in for good measure. Perseverance!

I knew your surgery was scheduled soon and actually hopped on the forum to check the date. So I assume this means your surgery isn't tomorrow? I'm really sorry to read you have had insurance problems. Keep being the squeaky wheel and keep the faith.

For some reason the edit feature isn't working for me. I apologize, Khelm 32, I was speaking about Bandista's surgery being tomorrow. Sure sorry to read of your struggles getting insurance to approve your surgery. I know it's easier said than done not to get frustrated and discouraged (no doubt) but keep doing whatever you can to stay on the healthy track. Best wishes to you.

I got the call today from the Benefit Director for my employer, they are approving my appeal, woot, woot! The only thing is they want me to have it done before the end of the year, because our insurance is changing. Waiting to hear back from the nurse coordinator to see how soon it can be scheduled.

I got the call today from the Benefit Director for my employer, they are approving my appeal, woot, woot! The only thing is they want me to have it done before the end of the year, because our insurance is changing. Waiting to hear back from the nurse coordinator to see how soon it can be scheduled.

Fingers crossed for you. :D