Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommitting

When I read a post by jfc193 part of his personal message really spoke to me. He says he "recommitted" at 250. That is something I need to do.

I lost 55 pounds in the six months after surgery (May 21, 2012) and have not lost another ounce! I've gained and lost the same 2 or 3 pounds but have been pretty much on a plateau for a year. I know I'm failing my band (from Missy's recent thread) with poor food choices and eating too quickly and continuing to eat after feeling full and I've not exercised (excuses include hurting foot, leg pain, etc.) but I need some way to kick my butt back into gear. I'd like to ask Joe, "How did you go about recommitting?" I'd appreciate advice on this from anyone else too.

well we all had to (recommit and get our butts in gear)...so how to do it.. START NOW....back to basics......eat your allotment of food....protein first, veggies, fresh fruit.....leave processed and fast food where they belong (away from you as its garbage)......and excercise and drink alot.....dont wait til whenever to recommit..or start monday.....START NOW..

no time like the present..you can so do this..i believe in you..now its time for you to believe in you.

Leg and foot pain can make exercise challenging -- my husband has these issues. A recumbent bike could be a good solution. Ours was pretty cheap and has a lot of miles on it now. No electronic parts so nothing to break. Good to move. Also he does a PT routine in bed, off the foot/leg involving weights. Maybe get a PT to work up something with you? Leg lifts from various positions, etc. -- now up to five pound weights could not walk a year ago.....

About the leg/foot pain: I'd see an orthopedist to see what's going on. They'll probably refer you for some PT and do some in office testing and such. I hurt my back a few months ago and started gaining then. Walking is painful. But I found I could still use my recumbent bike. I also went through PT. I apparently herniated a disc and have arthritis in my back- so I go in next week for a procedure and then more PT after that. I'm hoping that I can actually get back to the gym in the next month or two.

So I went in and got a fill (apparently had lost some of the fill that was in there). Have you been in for a fill recently?

Getting the fill for me and coming back to lapbandtalk helped me to recommit to my band. And it's going to sound strange as I'm not in the liquid phase- but buying Protein powder and having a shake at Breakfast. It helps me with eating Breakfast (which I'm not a breakfast person at all- never have been) and it adds more Protein to my diet.

There's also a November Thankful/ Loosing thread that'll help you stay on track. I'm one of those who needs to set goals for myself.

Hope this helps

The best advise I can give is Just Do It!

You've made the first step with this post. Print your post and tape it to your fridge so you see your committment everyday.

If bad food choices are hurdles, clean out your kitchen remove all temptation.

Regarding exercising, do what you can. Just a little bit is a start. Before you know it you will be moving like crazy (asj CG about that).

This is for life and it does take time. You can do this.

The best advise I can give is Just Do It!

You've made the first step with this post. Print your post and tape it to your fridge so you see your committment everyday.

If bad food choices are hurdles, clean out your kitchen remove all temptation.

Regarding exercising, do what you can. Just a little bit is a start. Before you know it you will be moving like crazy (asj CG about that).

This is for life and it does take time. You can do this.

For me, it has always been about the band....if there is any commitment, it is allowing the band to dictate my food/calorie intake, controlling my hunger, which foods I can or cannot eat, etc....

I also firmly believe that loosing weight is all about burning more calories than consuming....at least 500 calories per day....so if I consume 1000 for example, then I should burn off 1500....

Very common to hear people say, after eating a large piece of cake for instance, that they "have to go run this off"

I also believe, my body stores energy/calories as fat for those days of famine for us hunters-gatherers.....when I had a lot of fat to burn, I always worked out before eating anything first thing in the morning and draw from that fat storage for energy....then have a high Protein, low fat/calorie recovery shake afterwards....

It worked for me, now having a very low body fat % and little to no excess hanging skin...

Seems like my whole entire adult life I have been trying to loose weight, and the response I always got, including from Dr.'s was that the reason I was fatal because I ate too much....so I had surgery to control my eating, and exercise to burn off the excess....for me, it was that simple...eat less, exercise more.

All with the standards set by the bands adjustment....

I feel if I should ever need to get a un-fill, it would knock everything out of this perfect balance, and I would surely start gaining weight...

Lastly, exercise was difficult in the beginning, then the small victories came along with elated feelings....now, I get absolutely depressed if I don't get a good workout in....

Guess that's why you see people running everywhere you go...they're addicted!

Have you been back to the Dr. in a while to get a fill? I went a couple of years, yes i said years, in the situation you described. I lost 140 pounds then over those years gained back about 40 of them. Finally sucked up my pride and went back to see the Dr. I got a fill to help me restart it. I am self pay, so that means it hit both in the pocket book and the pride department.

I would also recommend finding some sort of workout thing you can do. There are lots of options out there. Even if you just go walk the mall before the stores open, it will get your mind back in the right place.

Good luck! and let us know what happens.

I make a new commitment every morning. I am not always in compliance with what I would like to see happen for the day, but every morning when I wake up I recommit to making sure that I follow the band rules, make good choices in food and usually where I fall short is getting in the exercise I need every day.

I sit so much...at work in the car on the way to and home from work. Sit sit sit...I try to get up and move around the office, I park far from the door, I take the stairs every day 4 flights to the third floor. If I have to speak to someone I try to go to their office no matter where or what floor they are on rather then sending an e-mail or calling them on the phone.

It's not enough though. I really need to spend some time in the gym, bumping up the cardio and getting stronger, so I am making that commitment to myself this month! I am going to get some kind of toning and strength training routine started and I am going to commit to sticking to it!!

Here's to all of us getting addicted to exercise! :D

When I read a post by jfc193 part of his personal message really spoke to me. He says he "recommitted" at 250. That is something I need to do.

I lost 55 pounds in the six months after surgery (May 21, 2012) and have not lost another ounce! I've gained and lost the same 2 or 3 pounds but have been pretty much on a plateau for a year. I know I'm failing my band (from Missy's recent thread) with poor food choices and eating too quickly and continuing to eat after feeling full and I've not exercised (excuses include hurting foot, leg pain, etc.) but I need some way to kick my butt back into gear. I'd like to ask Joe, "How did you go about recommitting?" I'd appreciate advice on this from anyone else too.

Everything everyone which have replied here is correct. You simply posting on here is your new beginning! We're here for you, at least someone is nearly at any given time. You can do this, you know you can! One important thing, dont look at the big goal, look at the first 10lbs, then the next 10lbs, and so on, and so on. I think making smaller goals make you feel like you've accomplished little goals, then when you hit the big one - BOOM! You did it!!! :)

After 18 months of postponement due to a pregnancy and than a MVA injury, I decided enough time elapsed and I needed to get back on the bandwagon- literally. I was 195 lbs in January '13 and am now 148 post cosmetic surgery and find myself maintaining with ease.

The first things I did in January, was rejoin LBT. I haven't been on here in over 3 years. Getting my head back in the game was a huge reinforcement and kept me accountable. I also started logging my foods again. Not only does this get you in tune w/ what you are eating, but for me, it also discouraged me from poor food choices because I KNEW the impact and KNEW it was thwarting my goals. Remember, the first 2 weeks is the most difficult. Your body needs to purge, cycles need to find a new stasis, and your brain needs to catch up to a new pattern/habit. Lastly, I was very fortunate to have my band in green during the entire 18 month lapse. I never gained weight, just maintained. But my rules were weak, food choices poor etc. So I reread the band rules and focused on those as a distraction. I read the best Protein foods/snacks and stocked up on them, committing only to them. And all just fell into place. In May timeframe (and at least 30 lbs lighter) I started going to the doc again for tweak fills. Green has it's upper and lower limits too..and to maintain my new weight I needed to get my green to its upper limit. All these things together is what resulted in reaching goal. You can do it!!!!

In order to get to my lowest weight my band was to tight and while I did lose those 20 lbs I was very fortunate that I did not do permanent damage to my esophagus. I had to have a complete unfill and have a Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and found that my esophagus had dialated, the band fortunately was still in task but it would take several months to heal. During that time I regained quite a bit of weight. I also did not want to get a fill but got a small fill and still continued to eat more slider foods than I should of.

I had not been on mediation for diabetes for 5 years and at the rate I was gaining it would not be long before the need for medication would begin

Finally after going up two sizes from my lowest weight and getting Christmas gifts from my kids that I had to do everything that I could to keep it close led to my decision to recommit.

Part of the commitment includes being active on this site.

Having gone back to eating after 9:00 in the evening I had to make sure that I went to bed before 9:00 PM.

I started using a smaller plate and spreading my cup of food around the plate so it would seem like I had more to eat.

Putting my fork down between bites is a key for me and chewing and chewing and chewing.

Taking the time to savor the food instead of worrying about the amount of food on the plate.

Eating at the table and not in front of the TV has helped.

Getting all my fluids in is very important.

Since I was going to bed earlier that meant I get up earlier and started walking again.

In March I was on a trip to Reno and I had acute pancreatic due from gallstones blocking the pancreatic so they had to go through the liver to reduce the swelling in the gallbladder and then remove the gallbladder. The whole experience reminded me of my mortality and the need to take care of my health.

I also concentrate more on NSV’s than what the scale says.

I am by no means the perfect bandster never have been but do want to be around to enjoy the grand children.