Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Month Post-Op...I have questions!!

My surgery was on Oct 8th & I'm going to my one month post-op appt on Nov 6th, but I'm nervous. I've scoured the internet trying to see how much weight one should lose within that first month & I cannot find a thing! Most sites say between 1-3 lbs a month, but 6days post-op I lost 14lbs. Now I'm getting closer to the one month mark & I've gained some back. Also, my understanding is your first month you have a tendency to lose a little more weight then what is typical. What's normal??

POW...321

CW...314

GW...180

Everyone loses differently. Congrats on the surgery btw. I had surgery on Oct 1. My first fill is Nov 6th as well. Little nervous about it but hey its a new life. I have heard some lose quickly and some lose slow but its a journey dont get discouraged and just keep up with it. Keep your head up you made the right choice.

POW 415

CW 362

GW 225

amsaw - it's really important that you don't get caught up in comparing your progress with anyone else's. We are all SO different, and if you stick to the rules of the band, and follow your program, you will lose weight.

It is true that weight comes off faster in the beginning. But please keep in mind that your first month is for healing. Some people don't lose a lot during that time. Others, do. Just be diligent in following your doctor's orders regarding the post-op diet & exercise, and you will do great! All that being said, typical "healthy" weight loss with the band, is one to two pounds per week. In the beginning it might be more, but once things settle down, 1-2 pounds is a realistic expectation, and a healthy rate of loss.

When I started out, I was losing about 3 pounds per week. Now, about 1. For me, I'm happy as long as the scale is going in the other direction ;)

You haven't found anything about how much a person "should" lose within the first month because there is NO should amount. Every person is an individual starting at a different weight, BMI & with different post op diets. That is too many variable for anyone to name a set amount to lose.

PS Congrats on your new life plan & good luck!!

My surgery was on Oct 8th & I'm going to my one month post-op appt on Nov 6th' date=' but I'm nervous. I've scoured the internet trying to see how much weight one should lose within that first month & I cannot find a thing! Most sites say between 1-3 lbs a month, but 6days post-op I lost 14lbs. Now I'm getting closer to the one month mark & I've gained some back. Also, my understanding is your first month you have a tendency to lose a little more weight then what is typical. What's normal?? POW...321 CW...314 GW...180[/quote']

First of all, congratulations to you. I have had the LapBand for 3 1/2 years. I have lost 100 lbs since my highest weight of 320 lbs. I am only 5' 3" and still have a way to go.

To your question of what is normal? I honestly don't think there is a "normal". For myself, I have other health issues that get in the way of weight loss. I am far better off now than I was before. I can tell you that your weight will fluctuate. As you gain more energy to do more, you gain muscle which weighs more. Sometimes I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster. ( I really hate roller coasters). However I have learned that each day is a new day. It finally got easier for me when I stopped comparing myself to others. Each of us will lose as different rates. As long as you work for your own curve on the chart and are pleased with yourself, that is what matters the most. I am my worst critic. Don't be to hard on yourself and know in your own mind that you have done everything to be successful. You will be successful. Everyday I am still learning about my tool. It has become my best friend. Some days though, I wish I could reach in and take it out.

don't stress, I think most Dr.'s are more concerned about you healing than about your weight at this point, right now it's about adopting the right habits and whether or not your having trouble avoiding the bad ones that the Dr. will be most concerned with, my dr. even told me that some people don't lose and even gain because of swelling and Water.< /p>

No worries everything will be fine, Good luck and take care!

Most patients lose 0-30 lbs the first few weeks but once we go back to solids or mushies it's easy to gain some of that weight back. It's no biggie since most of the weight we lose the first month is Fluid retained in our fat cells.

Many of us went through Bandster Hell after the first two weeks. The portal/stoma is wide open usually and this makes it easy to consume lots of food. For some reason, the hunger cravings kick in big time and it's a difficult time to push through so gaining weight is common.

It's a good idea to measure/weigh your food at this time and try to eat healthy to avoid gaining weight. This is just like being on a diet till you get the fill/adjustment that helps you to feel satiety for 4 hours.

as long as you lose (weight or inches), a loss is a loss

no matter how much or how (isnt) it is..

What the others said. My surgeon was happy with any loss. I remember losing like maybe 1-2 lbs most months.

Everyone wants a drastic weight loss but truth be told 1 to 2lbs a week is all the band guarantees. If you lose more great but don't have high expectations of weight loss because that will set you up to fail. No matter what or how much you lose it is better then gaining. Stay off the scale for a while and when your clothes get loose then step on the scale and you will see a big loss.

Congrats on starting your Journey.. You will do fine.. You had surgery.. Hello.... It takes a while for your body to get back to its self and heal. Its difficult to say what you will lose or heck Gain in the recovery time.

Dont worry about it. You know you... Just do what your doctor tells you at your follow up appointment.. They arent gonna yell at you if that is what your afraid of.. They only wanna make sure your Healthy after surgery.. Hench why they call it a post op appointment. =P

And I know its hard, and I know its been said before... Stay off the scale.. Look at your clothes to see how they fit, Thats the true answer.. Besides Muscle weighs more then fat.,. so when you get tone, you add Muscle.. ..

Have a wonderful Day.. You deserve it..

-Debbi