Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Go for your checkups every month in year 1

I made the mistake of being cocky and thinking "I've got this!" since I hit the green zone after my third fill. If an appointment was made for me in August, I missed it and they didn't give me a reminder call. So I scheduled an appointment for September 30th, got busy at work and didn't go because I was still going for 4 hours on a small amount of food. Well this week it hit me that I'm eating much more than I should and that I'm making poor food choices. I'm afraid I can't tell if I'm in the green zone anymore and I'm falling back into bad habits (the tops of 3 slices of pizza for dinner last night, a McDonald's filet of fish AND medium fries for lunch today - YIKES!!!!!). I was supposed to start doing better today, but that's shot now. However, I did call to schedule an appointment, unfortunately they can't see me for another week and it's not the center that I'm use to going to, which isn't very comforting. I'm almost on the verge of calling my surgeon and asking him to give me a fill because I just don't want to wait that long.

I said all of that to say this: even if you think you're fill level is okay, go to your monthly follow up visits. Your band might not need tweeking, but there is something about going to the visit that keeps you on track and well aware that YOU are accountable for your actions and that YOU are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of your procedure. I'm happy to say that I haven't gained any weight YET, but if I don't visit a counselor soon I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do. The band is a tool and like all tools, you have to give it a certain amount of attention and maintenance. Along with that, your counselors serve a valuable purpose in the psychological aspect of having this procedure done. Because owning up to your bad behaviors and celebrating the good you have done all have it's place in this journey; it all works together and in your first year, you have to do EVERYTHING that is required of you: eating right, drinking right, physical activity, follow up visits and maybe support groups. Otherwise you could end up feeling guilty and disappointed in yourself...much like I do right now.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm 21 months post surgery, so almost 2 years, and I still see my surgeon monthly. Most of the time it's just a matter of answering some questions, getting weighed, some small talk, then leaving. But, there is something about that accountability knowing I'm going to be weighed in monthly that helps me stay on track. Plus, the support and encouragement of my surgeon and his staff go a very long way in keeping me motivated.

I couldn't agree with you more. The further out I've gotten the more lax I got about those check ups. Then I got into trouble with a slip a few years ago. Got to green again and got lax. Now I'm back on schedule with things.

Something my new fill dr told me was to do the cottage cheese pouch test once a month just to test my levels. I never really thought about doing it on a regular basis as I've only done it when I thought I needed one. And then, well sometimes it's overdue.

I feel for you in that waiting for an overdue fill. I find it best to exercise, chew sugar free gum and keep as busy as possible. Working out actually naturally tightens my band a little- it wears off quickly, but helps in the short term hour area.

Something my new fill dr told me was to do the cottage cheese pouch test once a month just to test my levels.

What is the cottage cheese pouch test? Never heard that one before.

I'm in awe at all the support everyone gives. I have just recently got on board and feel like I'll never understand exactly when I'll get to the green zone, and in reading the last post what is the cottage cheese pouch test????

PT you are so on track, your doing awesome. Sometimes we need a to kick ourselves in the butt and we have a cheat and our bodies respond so don't feel bad.

I try to keep myself accountable with the monthly Dr. visits and support groups. They can get old fast...but I find that scheduling them into my month and going really holds me accountable to myself. I always find it easier, (go figure..) to put everything and everyone else needs first, so this is for ME and I make sure I find the time to do it even if I have to whine the whole way :)

When I was banded this was a common thing.

To test the size of your pouch you eat low-fat cottage cheese until you feel the soft stop point. The amount you ate is roughly the size of your pouch. The caveat is don't eat it too quickly or slowly. Too quickly and well, you'll get sick and too slowly your pouch will begin to empty. It's a good way to make sure you haven't stretched out your pouch. Also, if you can feel it going through your pouch quickly you're probably in need of a fill.

It also works for gastric bypass people.

And it does work with ricotta cheese as well but it has a faster drain rate. So it works for size but not fills as well.

I couldn't agree with you more. The further out I've gotten the more lax I got about those check ups. Then I got into trouble with a slip a few years ago. Got to green again and got lax. Now I'm back on schedule with things.

Something my new fill dr told me was to do the cottage cheese pouch test once a month just to test my levels. I never really thought about doing it on a regular basis as I've only done it when I thought I needed one. And then, well sometimes it's overdue.

I feel for you in that waiting for an overdue fill. I find it best to exercise, chew sugar free gum and keep as busy as possible. Working out actually naturally tightens my band a little- it wears off quickly, but helps in the short term hour area.

My surgeon told me chewing gum is a no-no. He said if swallowed it has to be surgically removed. Be careful but every doctor is different.

My surgeon told me I could chew the gum- but not to swallow it. In the last 6 years I haven't swallowed a piece of it yet.

If your surgeon says no gum, then no gum.

Mine was pretty good about things- he even said coffee was ok. But no to soda and carbonated beverages.

I'm in awe at all the support everyone gives. I have just recently got on board and feel like I'll never understand exactly when I'll get to the green zone, and in reading the last post what is the cottage cheese pouch test????

You'll know you're in the green zone when you can eat 1/2 cup of food, you are satisfied on that for at least 4 hours and you are losing pounds or inches. I didn't notice it until about a week after my third fill.

My surgeon told me chewing gum is a no-no. He said if swallowed it has to be surgically removed. Be careful but every doctor is different.

I try not to chew gum now - if I do, I make sure it's not anything really fruity or juicy like Hubba Bubba. I had to catch myself last week when I had some Tangerine bubble gum - it was soooooo good that I almost swallowed it. I have to confess, I was a notorious gum swallower before the band so I have to really be careful.

What's the cottage cheese pouch test?

Disregard...I found out.

Posts like these are really helpful for us new bandsters. It's a reality check and let's us know what to expect. You have done so well thus far and at least you noticed the problem and caught yourself before you started gaining. I am sure you will continue to be successful at your loss.

I made the mistake of being cocky and thinking "I've got this!" since I hit the green zone after my third fill. If an appointment was made for me in August, I missed it and they didn't give me a reminder call. So I scheduled an appointment for September 30th, got busy at work and didn't go because I was still going for 4 hours on a small amount of food. Well this week it hit me that I'm eating much more than I should and that I'm making poor food choices. I'm afraid I can't tell if I'm in the green zone anymore and I'm falling back into bad habits (the tops of 3 slices of pizza for dinner last night, a McDonald's filet of fish AND medium fries for lunch today - YIKES!!!!!). I was supposed to start doing better today, but that's shot now. However, I did call to schedule an appointment, unfortunately they can't see me for another week and it's not the center that I'm use to going to, which isn't very comforting. I'm almost on the verge of calling my surgeon and asking him to give me a fill because I just don't want to wait that long.

I said all of that to say this: even if you think you're fill level is okay, go to your monthly follow up visits. Your band might not need tweeking, but there is something about going to the visit that keeps you on track and well aware that YOU are accountable for your actions and that YOU are ultimately responsible for the success or failure of your procedure. I'm happy to say that I haven't gained any weight YET, but if I don't visit a counselor soon I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do. The band is a tool and like all tools, you have to give it a certain amount of attention and maintenance. Along with that, your counselors serve a valuable purpose in the psychological aspect of having this procedure done. Because owning up to your bad behaviors and celebrating the good you have done all have it's place in this journey; it all works together and in your first year, you have to do EVERYTHING that is required of you: eating right, drinking right, physical activity, follow up visits and maybe support groups. Otherwise you could end up feeling guilty and disappointed in yourself...much like I do right now.

your doing great...i believe in you when you started and i believe in you now.......