Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

• I look for any menu item with some sort of lean protein and plan to eat only the protein (for example, I only eat the turkey and leave the bun if I get a turkey burger).
    • I ask the server if I can have some grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
    • I order whatever looks good and plan to just eat a couple of bites. You might as well take advantage of the restaurant?s good cooking!
    • I bring my own food so I can enjoy spending time with everyone else while they eat the restaurant?s food.
    • I don?t go to restaurants anymore. There?s nothing I can eat with my weight loss surgery.

meat and veggie and measure out approx. 4 oz and have them bring out a take home box for the other.

Okay so basically after you've had the band for a while you no longer require fills? I just wonder how you are doing well without the fills? I was thinking maybe you get used to eating such small portions and after a while you don't need fills?

I have not had a fill so I don't have much restriction and can eat anything I want. I limit my eating out to once a week at most and only on my "cheat day" when I allow myself up to 1000 extra calories. This day is usually Saturday or Sunday. I usually make a healthier meal selection like grilled chicken of some sort but I do enjoy the appetizer as well. My favorite is going out for mexican food and having chips and salsa.... I work hard all week staying focused on my goals and eating clean and my cheat day is great. This Saturday I plan to eat a bacon cheeseburger for a late lunch/early dinner. Haven't had one in months....we'll see how it goes! LOL

Okay so basically after you've had the band for a while you no longer require fills? I just wonder how you are doing well without the fills? I was thinking maybe you get used to eating such small portions and after a while you don't need fills?

I have not had a fill so I don't have much restriction and can eat anything I want. I limit my eating out to once a week at most and only on my "cheat day" when I allow myself up to 1000 extra calories. This day is usually Saturday or Sunday. I usually make a healthier meal selection like grilled chicken of some sort but I do enjoy the appetizer as well. My favorite is going out for mexican food and having chips and salsa.... I work hard all week staying focused on my goals and eating clean and my cheat day is great. This Saturday I plan to eat a bacon cheeseburger for a late lunch/early dinner. Haven't had one in months....we'll see how it goes! LOL

BillieG,

I haven't had a fill in about 1 1/2 years. I can't tolerate more fill than I have in my band already. I am in maintenance. I don't eat sandwiches like bacon cheesburgers! I usually have fish when going out. I sometimes have chicken, but dry breast are hard for me to eat. You are right about fills and getting used to smaller portions. You have it about right! Once you get to "green" and are eating small amounts, you really don't need fills as much anymore. Best wishes! Karen

Some great ideas here. In the very beginning Soup went down well, then chicken and seafood fish were good choices, either baked or broiled. I like to have appetizers for dinner or take half of it home, and not bother with the bread. Also, I'll order an extra vegetable instead of fries. My biggest downfalls have been eating too fast and milkshakes.

My favorite thing to order is Thai curry with chicken and vegetables, Panang Curry to be specific. Not only does it taste wonderful, but the veggies are nice and mushie! Plus it's easy to appear "busy" enjoying the meal just like everyone else, instead of having a few bites and then sitting there while others finish.

I've found that eating out has a different focus, now, too. The last thing I want is a "stuck" issue or some other disruption. So I order something that I'll enjoy and is not likely to cause a problem during the meal or afterward. I focus on enjoying the time with friends and family with food being secondary. And sometimes that means scrambled eggs and fresh fruit instead of the meat and potatoes others are having.

I've also gone out to eat fairly soon after a fill and ended up with a meal of hot tea :) My friends have come to understand that I sometimes have "liquid" days and we simply go on with whatever we're doing. They eat, I sip :)

Great topic!

~hiddn

I'm newly banded so not a lot of choices for me yet. I'm lucky in that my surgeon advances your diet pretty quickly so I can eat solid food now. No steak or beef yet but I am allowed fish, rice, and veggies. DH and I took the family out to Cheddars last night and I ordered the grilled talapia with grilled shrimp and mango salsa. It is served on a bed of rice and then you get 2 sides. I had veggies with it. I have NOT had a fill yet and I still had plenty left to bring home. I ate some of it for lunch today will probably have the rest for dinner. It is YUMMY and a nice, healthy choice I think. I love seafood though :-)

I had half an orange an hour ago & its still sitting in my throat. (Sorry for being so graphic).

But im sitting outside of Salt Grass waiting for friends to Celebrate a going away.

These particular friends dont know ive had wls.

What do I order? Im staring at the menu ive printed online.

Do I bring the orange back up? Since it hasnt gone down anyways? Just to have dinner?

What if that gets stuck too?

Wls really saps the joy out of meals. Every meal is a battle but I wouldnt change it for the world!

I had half an orange an hour ago & its still sitting in my throat. (Sorry for being so graphic).

But im sitting outside of Salt Grass waiting for friends to Celebrate a going away.

These particular friends dont know ive had wls.

What do I order? Im staring at the menu ive printed online.

Do I bring the orange back up? Since it hasnt gone down anyways? Just to have dinner?

What if that gets stuck too?

Wls really saps the joy out of meals. Every meal is a battle but I wouldnt change it for the world!

A lot of times I have grilled salmon with green Beans or salad. As far as oranges, I don't eat those because of the skin like thing the is around the pieces. i do eat jarred Mandarin oranges because there are no skins.

Enjoy your dinner.

@dylanmiles23

Lesson learned on the oranges!

Im gonna try the chicken tortilla Soup and salad.

Way too tight for fish today id be too embarrassed if it got stuck at a time like this.

If the orange is stuck, when you eat more food you will be making a trip to the ladies room.

My husband and I split the main entree and order either an extra side or salad. No bread at our table..... My biggest addiction, gave it up two years ago and I can't go back to it. If the wait staff brings it to the table, we send it back. My biggest problem is NOT BEING ABLE TO DRINK THROUGHOUT THE MEAL...... I miss that..., I used to drink at least two iced teas or lemon waters along with my meal.

I have found Chick-Fil-A to be the best fast food restaurant. Sometimes we have to eat on the go. Tonight was one of those nights. I got a grilled chicken wrap. 320 calories and 38 grams of Protein. They'll ask what dressing you want on the side but I would just say NO to the dressing or if you absolutely have to have it go with fat free. I also like to get the grilled ckn nugget kids meal with fruit instead of waffle fries. Yummo!

Oooh - grilled nuggets from Chick-fil-a? That sounds very good and I'm looking forward to trying that as an option.

Sometimes appetizers, sometimes eat a bite or two off hubby's plate, love soups!

There has been a learning curve for sure! Initially, I would take my own to go container so I could immediately clear half of the plate. I hate it when servers or companions ask if there is something wrong with the food? When you say no, it usually does not end there,,,

Or if you don't want anything to drink, it really bothers everyone. I am working hard to not be a people pleaser!

For me, I like the security of having some Water there just in case I start to choke. For my 16th birthday my mom got choked on some seed or something where my dad had to give her the heimlich maneuver. She had Water and it didn't really help, but ever since then, it's been a fear that I'll choke without something to drink. Granted there are others drinking at the table that I could take, but I'd still prefer to have something just in case. Crazy paranoia, but also makes things less awkward than the no-drink issue. lol

Cracker Barrel - scrambled eggs, turkey bacon/sausage, and their yogurt . I eat half and take the other half home for the next days Breakfast

Panda - bowl with steamed veggies and grilled chicken teriyaki

pizza - 1 piece or the toppings only

Subway - salad with the dressing on the side

Saltgrass or Texas Roadhouse - split a steak with my husband and eat a side salad with light dressing

Mexican restaurants - taco salad or fish tacos and share with my husband - I don't eat the corn tortilla or fajitas and just eat the meat and veggies - ask them to not cook with oil

Starbucks - Decaf, skinny French vanilla latte and I get their Protein box for food

Wendy's - chili

Mooyah - turkey burger iceburg which means no bread

Really? salad dressing on the side?

I cant get dry lettuce down without the dressing.

The fat from the ranch helps the lettuce go down smoothly.

Really? Salad Dressing on the side? I cant get dry lettuce down without the dressing. The fat from the ranch helps the lettuce go down smoothly.

Yes. I dip my fork and then stab my salad. How far out are you? Salads never been an issue for me. I can eat raw veggies all day.