Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What do you order at restaurants after weight loss surgery?

• I look for any menu item with some sort of lean protein and plan to eat only the protein (for example, I only eat the turkey and leave the bun if I get a turkey burger).
    • I ask the server if I can have some grilled chicken and steamed vegetables.
    • I order whatever looks good and plan to just eat a couple of bites. You might as well take advantage of the restaurant?s good cooking!
    • I bring my own food so I can enjoy spending time with everyone else while they eat the restaurant?s food.
    • I don?t go to restaurants anymore. There?s nothing I can eat with my weight loss surgery.

I eat out a real lot. Usually I have a salad with Protein and veggie. I love grilled salmon and green Beans. At Italian restaurants sometimes I have Pasta and meatballs. I have the crust of really good bread at restaurants. Last night I was really really bad. I had bread (the crust) dunked in oil with cheese, cheese pizza and coconut shrimp. Today I am really really good.

Thursday night I am having dinner with about 20 people at a Mexican restaurant and I hate Mexican food. I looked on line and most likely will have a burger without the roll.

I never have Breakfast at restaurants any more. I use to eat breakfast out 4-6 times a week. Now it's a Protein Shake only.

Tomorrow night I am going out also, belated birthday dinner with my brother for Chinese food. See I eat out a real lot.

I eat out a real lot. Usually I have a salad with Protein and veggie. I love grilled salmon and green Beans. At Italian restaurants sometimes I have Pasta and meatballs. I have the crust of really good bread at restaurants. Last night I was really really bad. I had bread (the crust) dunked in oil with cheese, cheese pizza and coconut shrimp. Today I am really really good.

Thursday night I am having dinner with about 20 people at a Mexican restaurant and I hate Mexican food. I looked on line and most likely will have a burger without the roll.

I never have breakfast at restaurants any more. I use to eat breakfast out 4-6 times a week. Now it's a Protein shake only.

Tomorrow night I am going out also, belated birthday dinner with my brother for Chinese food. See I eat out a real lot.

I love crusty french bread dunked in olive oil & cheese.... There is a restaurant we go to that puts out olive oil with garlic. I take the crust from one piece of bread & have at it. I'm salivating just thinking about it :rolleyes:

I'm only 2 and a half months post op so I'm OVERWHELMED when I read menus. I usually go for fish or soup.... But at home I'm able to eat just about anything.... Give or take a few things here and there.

I was overwhelmed in the beginning, too. Once I learned to trust the band signals, the fear went away. Although, one day we went into a Korean BBQ place, and didn't realize that it was a set price for all you can eat. They started bringing plates of various marinated raw meats, chicken, pork, shrimp....all to be cooked at the table. In addition, they give a bunch of side dishes. Because I eat so slow, and my husband kept throwing the meats on the grill, I got really annoyed with the whole thing. I told him to STOP cooking so fast, because by the time I was done chewing my first little piece, the next piece was was ice cold. Never going back to the restaurant again. I felt waaay too out of control with the whole setup.

I check the menu ahead of time, if possible. I haven't been out to eat much since my surgery, but I'll order a lean Protein that looks good and ask to substitute sides (roasted/grilled veggies for starches). I avoid the bread basket altogether. Before, that would've killed me. Now, it doesn't even phase me. Who am I?! LOL

i choose lean Protein, veggies and fruit..and let the band say (when)

i dont hide from food nor run away from it...i face it head on :D

and yup, i splurge every friday on what i want to eat

For me eating out is a treat. I don't want to revert to OLD BAD HABITS. I try to have healthier choices' date=' which include chicken, fish, and meat. I also, attempt to have them prepared either grilled or baked. But I do restrict on the carbs. I save those for the NEED occasions. I'll also, request a double on the vegetable instead of potatoes, and usually the restaurants have no problem with that. I've removed the rolls from the table, and the waitress usually rolls her eyes too. I look for things which are made without carbs. No Pasta, no sandwiches, and sadly no burgers either. I've only had one burger since i started my journey. :D[/quote']

When I get banded I will be coming to you to ask how to eat out.

Crabcakes, Grilled fish, crab legs, FRIED fish occasionally ( :) ), Stews, Soups, oysters, chicken wings. I mostly stick with seafood. I CAN eat just about anything, but red meats are becoming a thing of the past for me. Almost never eat breakfast food anymore, maybe a bowl of oatmeal.< /p>

Crabcakes, Grilled fish, crab legs, FRIED fish occasionally ( :) ), Stews, Soups, oysters, chicken wings. I mostly stick with seafood. I CAN eat just about anything, but red meats are becoming a thing of the past for me. Almost never eat breakfast food anymore, maybe a bowl of oatmeal.

fish.........rolling-eyes.jpg

fish.........

What else do you eat for breakfast?

What else do you eat for breakfast?

well, mainly just a Protein shake......and if i get the nibbles before lunch, sliced carrots or apples or Protein Bar..just depends on what i am (wanting)..today, it was cold in office so i had some oatmeal w/raisins...i eat when hungry...but when i do eat, make sure its not easy/slide on through foods..

what do you like?

Crabcakes, Grilled fish, crab legs, FRIED fish occasionally ( :) ), Stews, Soups, oysters, chicken wings. I mostly stick with seafood. I CAN eat just about anything, but red meats are becoming a thing of the past for me. Almost never eat breakfast food anymore, maybe a bowl of oatmeal.

Yeah, I'm with ya on the red meat. Unless it's ground, it just takes way too much effort to chew.

well' date=' mainly just a Protein shake......and if i get the nibbles before lunch, sliced carrots or apples or Protein bar..just depends on what i am (wanting)..today, it was cold in office so i had some oatmeal w/raisins...i eat when hungry...but when i do eat, make sure its not easy/slide on through foods..

what do you like?[/quote']

I haven't been banded yet. I have second doctor's appointment this Friday. I am still try to work this stuff out.

I haven't been banded yet. I have second doctor's appointment this Friday. I am still try to work this stuff out.

how exciting..what a wonderful way to end the year with a new/healthier YOU

Today I went to chilis and I ordered the mango-chile tilapia without the rice. It was delicious and I only ate 1/2 the meal even with an empty band! 215 calories and 16 grams of protein!