Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery Abroad

Plication abroad(specifically mexico) & your experience.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. To those who went abroad for surgery: If you could do it again would you go abroad?

• I went abroad and would do it all over again
    • I went abroad and I would think twice before doing it again
    • I went abroad and I would never do it again
    • I went abroad for my WLS then again for a revision or reconstructive surgery.

who was your surgeon? I am trying to gather info on surgeons. I think I want to go with ortiz but a couple new ones have come to my attention since joining this board and another and least one of them sounds like he is really good, maybe even better then ortiz!

I used dr. verboonen. I thought he did well in the surgery, but there was a significant language barrier at the hospital in Cancun (nurses and staff). I have heard conflicting reports on whether others experienced the same barrier in Tijuana, so this might be an issue everywhere. I have been less than pleased with the aftercare though...I thought I might have a leak several weeks ago (intense pain, but turned out to be unrelated to the plication) and though he replied to my email, I thought he was rather dismissive. He was correct, that it wasn't the plication, but I didn't feel very cared about.

I used Dr. verboonen. I thought he did well in the surgery, but there was a significant language barrier at the hospital in Cancun (nurses and staff). I have heard conflicting reports on whether others experienced the same barrier in Tijuana, so this might be an issue everywhere. I have been less than pleased with the aftercare though...I thought I might have a leak several weeks ago (intense pain, but turned out to be unrelated to the plication) and though he replied to my email, I thought he was rather dismissive. He was correct, that it wasn't the plication, but I didn't feel very cared about.

Thanks, verboonen was a potential surgeon I was considering, but couldn't find much at all him good or bad. Its good to finally have some feedback. He was pretty low ranking on my "ok scale" BECAUSE I couldn't find anything and was really only considering him because I would LOVE to go to cancun. Chances are I won't pick him. Even b4 this post I was focusing all my energies on checking out Ortiz and Aceves. I REALLY like what I have read about Aceves but he is a couple thousand more expensive than ortiz. I have been mindful to not choose only on price but price is a big factor for me in order to afford the surgery, so while I won't decide based on price it will play a role in my decision process.

When I was considering going to mexico my top choices were doctor ortiz or doctor Corvala. I have experience with both of them when I was banded because I used them for fills several times. I believe that doctor c has more experience with the plication but I'm not sure at this point. Good luck with whomever you choose and KUP.

Dr Lopez Corvala must have done ~200 plications by now as he was on 150 when I went to Mexico back in November of last year.

Dr Lopez did Zanthina's plication.

When I was considering going to mexico my top choices were doctor ortiz or doctor Corvala. I have experience with both of them when I was banded because I used them for fills several times. I believe that doctor c has more experience with the plication but I'm not sure at this point. Good luck with whomever you choose and KUP.

We didn't talk to anyone at the Tijuana barrier as our driver dealt with that.

Aftercare at Angeles Health is hopeless. I realized they'd not given me the slide of my post op barium swallow the same day I left the hospital. I phoned up and they said no problem and that they'd email me a copy of it. I then rang them every couple of days until I was 2 weeks out from surgery at which time I was told that they throw away all information like that 2 weeks post op!! Were they joking... I'd been repeatedly been told that they were emailing it but they clearly lied.

I didn't need to contact them about anything else and I certainly wouldn't bother given the treatment. BTW there was no misunderstanding as I speak Spanish and I was told on numerous occasions that they'd be emailing me my scans. I knew not to expect much in the way of aftercare but I wasn't expecting out right repeated lies!! angry.gif

I used dr. verboonen. I thought he did well in the surgery, but there was a significant language barrier at the hospital in Cancun (nurses and staff). I have heard conflicting reports on whether others experienced the same barrier in Tijuana, so this might be an issue everywhere. I have been less than pleased with the aftercare though...I thought I might have a leak several weeks ago (intense pain, but turned out to be unrelated to the plication) and though he replied to my email, I thought he was rather dismissive. He was correct, that it wasn't the plication, but I didn't feel very cared about.

I honestly chose Dr. Verboonen/Cancun because I was mainly afraid to go to Tijuana. We go to Mexico all the time, but Tijuana scares me. (he does also operate out of Tijuana, at a cheaper price, but I only considered Cancun and there are just a few docs that do it there. verboonen seemed the best out of all of them)

Thanks, verboonen was a potential surgeon I was considering, but couldn't find much at all him good or bad. Its good to finally have some feedback. He was pretty low ranking on my "ok scale" BECAUSE I couldn't find anything and was really only considering him because I would LOVE to go to cancun. Chances are I won't pick him. Even b4 this post I was focusing all my energies on checking out Ortiz and Aceves. I REALLY like what I have read about Aceves but he is a couple thousand more expensive than ortiz. I have been mindful to not choose only on price but price is a big factor for me in order to afford the surgery, so while I won't decide based on price it will play a role in my decision process.

I have a friend who had both her band and then later a sleeve done by Dr. Aceves and she highly recommends him and his hospital. She says she had a great experience and was impressed with the Dr. there.

I have a friend who had both her band and then later a sleeve done by Dr. Aceves and she highly recommends him and his hospital. She says she had a great experience and was impressed with the Dr. there.

I have been hearing alot of that about him :)

from my research, I wouldn't go to the OCC.

I have actually settled on Dr. Aceves, but in case that falls through Dr. Ortiz is my second pick so can you you fill me in on what you know? I may know some of it, all of it, or none of it and the more I know the better the informed decisions I can make.

Hello, My name is Kristie, I am 28 and I am considering a GSP through OCC in Tijuana Mexico. The prospect of surgery alone is both terrifying and exhilarating( because, god-willing, I will finally have a shot at the life I have dreamed of for so long). I settled on the sleeve because it seems to be the safest option for me, because there is no cutting, no rearranging (or removal of a portion) of my intestines, no chance of leaks, dumping syndrome as with bypass or slippage as with the band. The idea of permanently removing a portion of my stomach kinda gives me the willies, I am not at all comfortable with that idea. I considered it for about a day because of the speedier weight loss and such but couldn't MAKE myself be okay with idea of cutting up my stomach. The one semi-major downfall I have read about it is that the thing that produces grehlin remains intact so you still feel hungry. I had an experience like what I imagine the person posting that went through when I was pregnant. I was hungry constantly and even if I did manage to get satiated within and hour I was hungry again... I don't know how I feel about reliving that since I hated it so much the first time around, and this time I may deal with it for the rest of my life. On the flip side I don't generally eat unless I feel hungry, so maybe its a good thing, I am not really sure.

My reason for posting today is to get some feedback on having the surgery abroad. I will probably never be able to afford it in the US since my insurance won't touch it and my credit is non-existent, so I feel like surgery abroad is my only real option. My family thinks I am insane, and sometime I wonder myself, but I see it as my only option. Can you please fill me in on your experiences? The more detailed the better. How long where you gone? What happened when you got there? Was the staff professional and knowledgeable? What happened after surgery? Would you do it again? If not, is that because of the facility or the procedure itself? If you believe it was the procedure do you believe you would have had better outcome in the states?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oop's I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!! Feel free to move it if you can.

? The message is missing??

I had the Plication done last Thursday July 14th at Angelas Hospital in Tijuana. Dr. Corvola did the surgery. It really wasn't scary going through the border and we actually did walk around some.

I guess it is to soon to say what the outcome is. I have lost 7 lbs so far. The hospital is nice, modern and amazingly clean. My back story is I am 42, female, with type 2 diabetes that so far has not been controlled by diet or meds. I am 60 lbs. overweight. My Insurance wouldn't cover it because I am not at least 100 lbs over. But I understand many insurance companies are getting on board with coverage if your BMI is high and you have a co-exsisting medical condition.

There were enough nurses/ coordinaters that spoke english that communication was not to much of a problem. They do things slightly different then in the states like crushing your meds and giving them to you to take. Yuck. I asked for the whole pill. And they don't keep hand towels or paper towels in the bathroom no matter how many times you ask....to name a few. Mostly minor issues.

When I woke up from the surgery I wasn't in alot of pain but rather extremely uncomfortable. Pressure and raw feeling in the stomach. I had to fast from the night before and until Friday, the day after. That was HARD. I did have some Ice chips. On Friday I started my week of clearliquids which is just ending. I had chicken broth, chicken broth oh, and more chicken broth. I tried to keep my determination up by reminding myself it was only for a week. I haven't exactly felt the greatest anyway. Today has been my best day so far. I tried some cream of wheat and it didn't cause me any problems.

Here's where I am at tonight: My stomach looks like I got badly beat. I am going to attach a picture. Don't get to freaked out. Ok, I am a little- but I emailed this picture to the Dr. and am waiting to hear if it is a BIG Concern.post-1306-13813845290864_thumb.jpg

HOLY crappola! That looks like it REALLY hurts!!! Are you an easy bruiser or is that normal???

I decided to go with the sleeve, but please do keep me posted on everything. That bruise is like.... WOW!! Kudos for the courage to post it BTW ;)

Hello, My name is Kristie, I am 28 and I am considering a GSP through OCC in Tijuana Mexico. The prospect of surgery alone is both terrifying and exhilarating( because, god-willing, I will finally have a shot at the life I have dreamed of for so long). I settled on the sleeve because it seems to be the safest option for me, because there is no cutting, no rearranging (or removal of a portion) of my intestines, no chance of leaks, dumping syndrome as with bypass or slippage as with the band. The idea of permanently removing a portion of my stomach kinda gives me the willies, I am not at all comfortable with that idea. I considered it for about a day because of the speedier weight loss and such but couldn't MAKE myself be okay with idea of cutting up my stomach. The one semi-major downfall I have read about it is that the thing that produces grehlin remains intact so you still feel hungry. I had an experience like what I imagine the person posting that went through when I was pregnant. I was hungry constantly and even if I did manage to get satiated within and hour I was hungry again... I don't know how I feel about reliving that since I hated it so much the first time around, and this time I may deal with it for the rest of my life. On the flip side I don't generally eat unless I feel hungry, so maybe its a good thing, I am not really sure.

My reason for posting today is to get some feedback on having the surgery abroad. I will probably never be able to afford it in the US since my insurance won't touch it and my credit is non-existent, so I feel like surgery abroad is my only real option. My family thinks I am insane, and sometime I wonder myself, but I see it as my only option. Can you please fill me in on your experiences? The more detailed the better. How long where you gone? What happened when you got there? Was the staff professional and knowledgeable? What happened after surgery? Would you do it again? If not, is that because of the facility or the procedure itself? If you believe it was the procedure do you believe you would have had better outcome in the states?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oop's I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!! Feel free to move it if you can.