Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery Abroad

Plication abroad(specifically mexico) & your experience.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. To those who went abroad for surgery: If you could do it again would you go abroad?

• I went abroad and would do it all over again
    • I went abroad and I would think twice before doing it again
    • I went abroad and I would never do it again
    • I went abroad for my WLS then again for a revision or reconstructive surgery.

Hello, My name is Kristie, I am 28 and I am considering a GSP through OCC in Tijuana Mexico. The prospect of surgery alone is both terrifying and exhilarating( because, god-willing, I will finally have a shot at the life I have dreamed of for so long). I settled on the sleeve because it seems to be the safest option for me, because there is no cutting, no rearranging (or removal of a portion) of my intestines, no chance of leaks, dumping syndrome as with bypass or slippage as with the band. The idea of permanently removing a portion of my stomach kinda gives me the willies, I am not at all comfortable with that idea. I considered it for about a day because of the speedier weight loss and such but couldn't MAKE myself be okay with idea of cutting up my stomach. The one semi-major downfall I have read about it is that the thing that produces grehlin remains intact so you still feel hungry. I had an experience like what I imagine the person posting that went through when I was pregnant. I was hungry constantly and even if I did manage to get satiated within and hour I was hungry again... I don't know how I feel about reliving that since I hated it so much the first time around, and this time I may deal with it for the rest of my life. On the flip side I don't generally eat unless I feel hungry, so maybe its a good thing, I am not really sure.

My reason for posting today is to get some feedback on having the surgery abroad. I will probably never be able to afford it in the US since my insurance won't touch it and my credit is non-existent, so I feel like surgery abroad is my only real option. My family thinks I am insane, and sometime I wonder myself, but I see it as my only option. Can you please fill me in on your experiences? The more detailed the better. How long where you gone? What happened when you got there? Was the staff professional and knowledgeable? What happened after surgery? Would you do it again? If not, is that because of the facility or the procedure itself? If you believe it was the procedure do you believe you would have had better outcome in the states?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Oop's I think I put this in the wrong place. Sorry!! Feel free to move it if you can.

Hi Kristie, there are possible complications with GPS. Lena9800 went with OCC and had a complication - see here for details http://www.sleeveplicationtalk.com/topic/60-to-the-emergency-room/page__p__363__hl__lena9800__fromsearch__1#entry363. They've deleted her posts on her complications in the OCC forum.

Also Zanthina had a complication, details of which are here http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/12850-unexpected-complication-from-plication-surgery/page__p__110251__hl__%2Bunexpected+%2Bcomplication__fromsearch__1#entry110251

My experience in Mexico was fine. I stayed in hospital for 3 nights - I was having a hard time getting in enough liquid so wanted to stay on the drip longer, I've not had any complications since (I'm 7.5 months out) apart from not losing much weight. I also stayed in the night before surgery, so I had 4 nights in hospital.

The reason I went with Angeles Health is below:

"Angeles Price Assurance : The cost for any complications that may

occur during your procedure and while you are at the hospital will be

absorbed by the hospital." [at the bottom of the link below]

http://healthtraveltechnologies.com/htg/ahi/AHIFaqGastricSleevePlication/

A driver sent by Angeles Health picked me up and dropped me back off at San Diego airport. I was taken door to door from the airport to the hospital, so I didn't really get to experience Mexico. The hospital was OK, although I found the nurses to be slow at coming sometimes even though they'd say I'm coming right now over the room intercom.

Some people have commented that the nurses English isn't that good although I have to say I've not read any of these comments recently. I can't substantiate that, as I speak Spanish and therefore this wasn't an issue, but you may want to learn some key words like pain=dolor and it hurts=me duele.

HTH

Hi Kristie,

I'm lena the one that end up in the ER,My surgery was also done at the OCC,They are very good went everything goes well,But if something goes wrong there is almost no support.They asked me for all of my medical records from the Hospital, I mailed them 2 weeks ago and nobady got back to me .

Thanks TP!

Lena- That must have been incredibly scary for you, for Zanthina too. Lord knows they scared the crap outta me just reading your stories. I almost wonder whats worse a leak risk or the risk of what you went through... This is an incredibly difficult decision, my goal is to save my life, not risk it, but every surgery seems to have some pretty scary potential complications :( May I ask, if you had it to do over would you have gotten the sleeve instead?The band? Bypass? Would you have had it done here in the states instead of Mexico? I wonder if I could get a copy of my records b4 I leave... just in case.

Well my advice to you is ,go with the gastric sleeve that may help you to get to your gaol weight has u search more on plication you will find that people are not happy with it they are not loosing weight and if they are is slower that a turtle.The bariatric Dr here in the US that removed my plication told me that I should choose the sleeve.

Thanks that is very helpful! I have some time still (if I do it surgery won't happen till next year), maybe I can come around to the idea of the sleeve. I considered it, like I said, B4 I learned about the plication but the cutting part is what gets me... Like I said, I still have time.

Thanks that is very helpful! I have some time still (if I do it surgery won't happen till next year), maybe I can come around to the idea of the sleeve. I considered it, like I said, B4 I learned about the plication but the cutting part is what gets me... Like I said, I still have time.

BTW, I am gonna look for myself but in case I can't find it- is there a forum for the sleeve? Either on this site or another? I would really like to read some posts and feedback regarding the sleeve. That's the one part of my research that is lacking. I find blips of " Its so great" or "I hate it" but nothing much more than that.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/

That's the website/forum hosted by the same group that hosts this website/forum. There's a lot of information about the sleeve gastrectomy there. I believe it's searchable as well which is nice because there are so many posts there.

There are several physicians offering this procedure in the US at this point. As you evaluate which procedure you'd like to have, you might want to investigate those that offer it here (Cleveland, OH clinic, Chattanooga, TN clinic, one in Utah, and at least one physician in California I believe).

At least for me, the plication was the most affordable option that I could have done here in the US, alleviated my concerns about other procedures, and still have the comfort of having the physician in the same town. It also presents a problem though if you don't live near a location that offers the plication if you're required to do follow-ups with the physician. I'm required to visit mine for three years for follow up, which would not be convenient and/or possible if I lived very far away.

I hope that helps. :)

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/

That's the website/forum hosted by the same group that hosts this website/forum. There's a lot of information about the sleeve gastrectomy there. I believe it's searchable as well which is nice because there are so many posts there.

There are several physicians offering this procedure in the US at this point. As you evaluate which procedure you'd like to have, you might want to investigate those that offer it here (Cleveland, OH clinic, Chattanooga, TN clinic, one in Utah, and at least one physician in California I believe).

At least for me, the plication was the most affordable option that I could have done here in the US, alleviated my concerns about other procedures, and still have the comfort of having the physician in the same town. It also presents a problem though if you don't live near a location that offers the plication if you're required to do follow-ups with the physician. I'm required to visit mine for three years for follow up, which would not be convenient and/or possible if I lived very far away.

I hope that helps. :)

I was just coming to post that I found it :) Unfortunately, I was looking at the b4/after thread and tried to view a pic and it said I had to be logged in. So, I try to register and it says my e-mail is already in use. Figuring maybe the 2 forums were one in the same I try to logg in using this forums info and it says username or password is incorrect. So I try "forgot password" and it says the is no account with that e-mail addy. Thought maybe it was a fluke so I go through every step again and all the same way. What the heck? :(

DH isn't gonna be thrilled lol, but I just used his e-mail to register ;)

I had the banded plication which means I have the plication along with a lapband. I was banded in 2001 and was recently rebanded in Feb. 2011 by Dr. Billy in Ventura, ca. I never plan on filling my band but I had it done for insurance purposes. I have lost 51 pounds in 5 months. You can check out my blog for more info.

Take care and KUP

I had the banded plication which means I have the plication along with a lapband. I was banded in 2001 and was recently rebanded in Feb. 2011 by Dr. Billy in Ventura, ca. I never plan on filling my band but I had it done for insurance purposes. I have lost 51 pounds in 5 months. You can check out my blog for more info.

Take care and KUP

Wow! Congrats on your weight loss!!!! 10 pounds a month is AWESOME! Just curious, why did your insurance want you to get both?

They are not aware of the plication, only the lapband which was covered by my insurance.

My weightloss has slowed down to about 5 pounds per month but at least it is a loss.

I think I'd go with the VSG if I had to do it again.

If I were heavy enough I'd go with the Duodenal Switch (which is a VSG plus intestinal re-routing for calorie malabsorption). You get more weight loss with the DS and better long term results (80% Excessive Weight Lost versus 70% EWL with the VSG), you have to be seriously committed to getting in 100g of protein/day and getting in around 30 Vitamins a day though.

I was scared of having a leak with VSG but the risk on a virgin stomach is actually just 1%. The good thing about VSG is that you can subsequently revise to DS in a relatively straight forward op (I mean straight forward in that they don't have to undo anything and you're already half way there).

Note that 2 part DSs are likely to result in slower weight loss though. See here for details http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4375541/Unproven-hypothesis-about-why-2-part-DSs-are-less-effective/

I definitely wouldn't go with a bypass (RNY) as you only malabsorb calories for 2 years (which is why people like poor Carnie Wilson gain it all back), you can NEVER take Non Steroidal Anti Inflamatories (ibuprofen, etc) and who knows if you'll need it in the future. Also 40% of RNYers experience dumping (check out clips like this on youtube

they look like they're dying). While you only malabsorb calories for 2 years you malabsorb nutrients forever so you still have to stay vigilant with those as with DS.

Plus this RNY article is another of the many reasons to not go for it www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx

Revisions from RNY can be VERY complex but you do find people revising from RNY to DS due to regain.

HTH.

Thanks TP!

Lena- That must have been incredibly scary for you, for Zanthina too. Lord knows they scared the crap outta me just reading your stories. I almost wonder whats worse a leak risk or the risk of what you went through... This is an incredibly difficult decision, my goal is to save my life, not risk it, but every surgery seems to have some pretty scary potential complications :( May I ask, if you had it to do over would you have gotten the sleeve instead?The band? Bypass? Would you have had it done here in the states instead of Mexico? I wonder if I could get a copy of my records b4 I leave... just in case.

The bypass and DS are far more invasive than I am willing to even consider. The whole rerouting of intestines and malabsorbtion thing and not things I believe I will ever except.I want a somewhat normal life after surgery. I don't want to be obsessed with food. Whats the point really? from one extreme to the other. I want to be healthy, not so much skinny. Skinny is over rated lol.

I had my plication in Cancun two and a half months ago. I would go out of the US again for surgery, but I would prepare myself better (language and all). I am torn on whether I would go with the sleeve or do the plication again if I had to do it all over. I still have cravings, just not like I used to. Weight loss is slow, about 7 lbs a month for me at this point, but I also like that it gives my body time to recover better. I also didn't want to lose part of my stomach. I think you can find plenty of people who will tell you one thing, and plenty of people who will tell you exactly opposite. I would research both operations, make a list of pros and cons (personal to YOU) and see which one comes out on top. Only you know your life, your issues, your fears and expectations-only you can decide which surgery is best for you. I too doubt I will ever be super skinny, but I want to be healthy and live within a somewhat normal range. I wasn't that before.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

I had my plication in Cancun two and a half months ago. I would go out of the US again for surgery, but I would prepare myself better (language and all). I am torn on whether I would go with the sleeve or do the plication again if I had to do it all over. I still have cravings, just not like I used to. Weight loss is slow, about 7 lbs a month for me at this point, but I also like that it gives my body time to recover better. I also didn't want to lose part of my stomach. I think you can find plenty of people who will tell you one thing, and plenty of people who will tell you exactly opposite. I would research both operations, make a list of pros and cons (personal to YOU) and see which one comes out on top. Only you know your life, your issues, your fears and expectations-only you can decide which surgery is best for you. I too doubt I will ever be super skinny, but I want to be healthy and live within a somewhat normal range. I wasn't that before.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

who was your surgeon? I am trying to gather info on surgeons. I think I want to go with ortiz but a couple new ones have come to my attention since joining this board and another and least one of them sounds like he is really good, maybe even better then ortiz!