Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery Abroad

Plication abroad(specifically mexico) & your experience.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. To those who went abroad for surgery: If you could do it again would you go abroad?

• I went abroad and would do it all over again
    • I went abroad and I would think twice before doing it again
    • I went abroad and I would never do it again
    • I went abroad for my WLS then again for a revision or reconstructive surgery.

Mom2two, just wanted to let you know, as you're considering OCC, that both of my parents and myself had surgery there in the beginning of August. They both had plication and I had the sleeve. Everything went super smoothly for all 3 of us, zero complications. As far as weight loss, it's been about 10-11 weeks and my Dad has lost around 50 lbs., I've lost around 40 lbs., and my Mom's lost around 30 lbs. So, our weight loss seems more determined by how much we had to lose than by the type of surgery we had, as my Dad had the most to lose (BMI around 40), then me (BMI around 35), then my Mom (BMI around 30). Good luck on whatever decision you make. I feel very confident in my decision with Dr. Ortiz and would definitely recommend him.

:D CONGRATS!! I am so happy for U all!

I am suprised someone with a BMI of 30 would be able to get it done.

I am gaining more info as I move along and it is sounding like the OCC and Dr Ortiz seems to be highly regarded...

Why did Mom and Dad do the Plication and U do the SLEEVE??

I am doing the SLEEVE and am thinking that is a better choice for me after all my research.

I am excited

Thank U

S

A BMI of 30 is the lowest they will do the procedure on. I think in the States it's 35, but I guess money talks. I do have to say though, that Dr. Ortiz will NOT do a procedure on you if he thinks it is unsafe. There was a woman there at the same time as me and she was scheduled for plication, but she didn't do well on one of her tests (I don't remember if it was the EKG or the respiratory), and he said he could give her the band or money back, but would not put her in jeopardy for a surgery that would be risky for her. She was disappointed at first, but understood that this made sense. She went ahead with the band. I also read a post from another woman on the VSG site who went down to have a band to sleeve revision, but when he got in there there was too much damage from the band to safely do the sleeve at that time. So, he removed the band and sent her home to heal for 3 months before doing the sleeve. She has since had it done and is doing great. These stories actually make me feel better, knowing that he puts the safety of the patient before convenience or their immediate gratification.

My parents and I made different choices for our personal comfort level. They didn't feel comfortable having the majority of their stomach cut off. I didn't feel comfortable not knowing what would happen to that folded and stitched tissue down the road. I also liked the fact that there was a bit more long term data on the sleeve and seemingly better weight loss. My parents felt the plication was less invasive with a less painful recovery. I would agree with this last bit, although the pain and recovery with the sleeve really wasn't too bad. I think you will be really happy with Dr. Ortiz and the sleeve. Please feel fee to ask me any questions you may have. Happy weight loss!!

:D On the 15th of Nov, I will be 6 weeks out and I am jazzed. I appreciate all the help.

With all that come to Dr O for the surgery, I would imagine He can pick and choose who gets surgery and not, keeping in mind safety.

S

Re the pain of GPS vs VSG, Sarah posted here post VSG (she had GPS and then revised to VSG due to insufficient weight loss) http://www.verticals...__fromsearch__1

"concerning the recovery I stayed for 2 days in the hospital but frankly this time I felt much better I didn't feel any pain after surgery except for the tube coming out of my nose ,it was painful

But it didnt hurt more than the plication"

My parents felt the plication was less invasive with a less painful recovery. I would agree with this last bit, although the pain and recovery with the sleeve really wasn't too bad.

Well, of course everyone is different, but my parents are 30 years older than me and were doing a bus/shopping tour the next day in Tijuana (along with 2 other plications and a lapband from OCC). However, myself and a mom and daughter VSG all had to stay behind as we were DEFINITELY not up to leaving the hotel (and I was 3 days out at this point and my parents only 1 - with my having the surgery on a Monday and them on a Wednesday). The drainage tube I also found quite painful, which plications do not have.

I wasn't trying to disregard what you were saying, as you say everyone is different. I just thought the perspective of someone who'd had both procedures and only a year apart may be of interest. It could well be that Sarah got stronger pain meds when she got her VSG and that could account for her having less pain the second time.

Well, of course everyone is different, but my parents are 30 years older than me and were doing a bus/shopping tour the next day in Tijuana (along with 2 other plications and a lapband from OCC). However, myself and a mom and daughter VSG all had to stay behind as we were DEFINITELY not up to leaving the hotel (and I was 3 days out at this point and my parents only 1 - with my having the surgery on a Monday and them on a Wednesday). The drainage tube I also found quite painful, which plications do not have.

Isn't it fair to say, anything invasive such as an abdominal invasive procedure could be PAINFUL and each of us are different so not to say who will feel what until the individual has surgery.

The Age thing is there too

When in UR 20's, U are mostly bullet proof.

Get into UR 40's and 50 +, look out

I am 50 and thinking I am in for some big drama over this procedure painwise

I am a sissy too.

Hey All,

I'm 50, female, bmi 30.6. I'm looking into Plication at the Cleveland Clinic. I have my doctor's support as I've been losing and gaining for 20+years, been in the low 200's and as lite as 140'ish. I can never maintain and end up really depressed and beating myself up all the time. I have a strong family history of diabetes (grandma, mom, sister) and my sis is 60 and getting VSG in December. I don't want to be where she is in 10 years, but given my past history I think that's what will happen if I don't get something to aid me in my struggles. Some says "oh, you're not big enough..." but I'm trying to break the cycle now and opposed to 5 or 10 years from now.

I have a couple questions for those that have had their plication.

1) is the diet post-op similar to the one for VSG?

2) do you lose hair post-op like most do with VSG?

3) what is the most common complication? I know leaking is the big one with VSG, what about Plication?

Thank you very much!

Hey All' date='

I'm 50, female, bmi 30.6. I'm looking into Plication at the Cleveland Clinic. I have my doctor's support as I've been losing and gaining for 20+years, been in the low 200's and as lite as 140'ish. I can never maintain and end up really depressed and beating myself up all the time. I have a strong family history of diabetes (grandma, mom, sister) and my sis is 60 and getting VSG in December. I don't want to be where she is in 10 years, but given my past history I think that's what will happen if I don't get something to aid me in my struggles. Some says "oh, you're not big enough..." but I'm trying to break the cycle now and opposed to 5 or 10 years from now.

3) what is the most common complication? I know leaking is the big one with VSG, what about Plication?

Thank you very much![/quote']

Well I haven't had it yet but I find that those that have don't come

On here as much... Maybe because they are so successful:) mine is scheduled for dec 3. I've been doing months of research and have found that more people with plication are actually

On the sleeve board as the diets are similar. I think it depends on the amount of weight you have to lose. So the post op diet depends on that. For instance I am a low bmier too so I won't be on the liquid phase as long. Also because the plication surgery is less intrusive and takes less healing time. I haven't heard of any complications and have talked to my surgeon about any

Possibles. Back in the beginning (in America) someone did the sutures wrong and a piec of the stomach died. Since then the technique has been

Modified and my surgeon says there's been no other if those cases. I feel confident in my surgeons opinion, he is considered a leader in the plication and had spoken all over the world about it. There are some ten years studies kicking around as the

Plication has been done for that long... More in the Middle East and brazil. Some say on here they have some issues with Hair loss mostly because they r not getting enough Protein in. From what I understand, not actually removing a portion of the stomach, we can still absorb our nutrients fine as long as we r eying the right foods. I have thin hair so I started taking Biotin just in case:) I was nervous about the plication at first because its so "new" here in North America. But I think the sleeve was new at some point too, and my surgeon feels this is a leading wls for those looking or a less intrusive procedure. I can't shake the thought if possibly needing the rest if my stomach one day for something (like esophageal it stomach cancer). I don't no why. So even though they say the wl % can be 5-10 % higher with the sleeve there is just something in me that tells me not too. Also I think of something goes wrong with the sleeve I would have to get a revision to gb?? And I don't want that lol... So good luck. Hope my opinion helped. If you want search the sleeve forum for lapband with plication. There are more f those these days. Good luck:)

Hey All' date='

Thank you very much![/quote']

Oh I meant check out the lb forum too because so many are getting lb with plication:)