Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG October 2013 Post-ops

I did indeed :-) Still no restriction. Still confused about my dietician saying I need to get out of the diet mentality. Next appointment with team on 6th January. I know there's more I can do for myself but struggling with motivation as I don't feel as if I've had surgery. Weird. I'll update when I know more. In the meantime, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Xx

My doctors office has not been very informative throughout this entire process. I was given a folder at my initial consultation with a list of recommended foods, and that's it. Most of the information I learn is through the web. When I had the lap band food was always getting stuck, right below my breast bone, even after all the Fluid was taken out. I found out later my band had slipped and my stomach above the band was twisted. But for 8 years that area above my band was where I felt "full" at, my lower stomach always felt hungry. After this surgery, I had to learn where my stomach was and what feeling full felt like opposed to the restricted feeling of fullness I received from the band. At first I worried he screwed up my surgery and it didn't work, although common sense told me that was not possible, after the complications post surgery I went through... But once I got on solid foods, I can definitely tell I can not eat anywhere near the amount I used to.

Shrinkingjeans, I'm a few weeks further along, but on my clinic's plan you can start to eat everything at 3 months post-op. I was told to take it slowly, introducing foods like raw veggies/salads but still in this order: Protein, veggies, carbs. At this time I can eat about 1/2 c of food at a meal. I was told to add a little more over time until I get to 3/4-1c of food at a meal by my 6 month appointment. I still have 1-2 Protein drinks per day as well.

Molly

Thanks for the information!! :)

Sooo excited! Today I have less to lose than I have already lost! :D

@Chelle that's such a cool psychological milestone!! ????????

I was wondering. I seem to be having some complications post op, and was wondering if others are experiencing the same? I have had a UTI for 2 months now, and two rounds of antibiotics. I also now have a bad yeast infection in my mouth and you know where due to antibiotics. I have a kidney infect due to the UTI, and am now having gall bladder attacks. I am so tired of this, I am regretting my choice, however I feel the surgery only helped to get these comlkications, and not necessarily caused them directly . I mean my weight loss of 50 lbs before surgery could have led to gall bladder problems...... or I guess I needed to vent on that stuff, and after babbling I realized WHAT I really wanted to say hehehe.

What are different ways you get your Protein in. I cannot stomach shakes and I need to get in 90g of Protein per day.

I try to get shakes in, but my stomach feels ill afterwards. Wow I am being whiney today lol. I think my answer is to buck up and quit whining lol. I do after all want to be successful lol

Thanks for the rant . You are all awesome! I tried ranting on a race book page and there was no support only judgemental people. I don't need that right now hehe.

I was wondering. I seem to be having some complications post op, and was wondering if others are experiencing the same? I have had a UTI for 2 months now, and two rounds of antibiotics. I also now have a bad yeast infection in my mouth and you know where due to antibiotics. I have a kidney infect due to the UTI, and am now having gall bladder attacks. I am so tired of this, I am regretting my choice, however I feel the surgery only helped to get these comlkications, and not necessarily caused them directly . I mean my weight loss of 50 lbs before surgery could have led to gall bladder problems...... or I guess I needed to vent on that stuff, and after babbling I realized WHAT I really wanted to say hehehe. What are different ways you get your Protein in. I cannot stomach shakes and I need to get in 90g of protein per day. I try to get shakes in, but my stomach feels ill afterwards. Wow I am being whiney today lol. I think my answer is to buck up and quit whining lol. I do after all want to be successful lol Thanks for the rant . You are all awesome! I tried ranting on a race book page and there was no support only judgemental people. I don't need that right now hehe.

Awwww I'm so sorry u r having all these issues!! I haven't had any if these. What does your doc say about it all?? Is this normal?? Don't be tired of venting! U have to vent especially with everything u r goin through! I can barely get the shakes down too but I don't know of any other way to get protein in. Can u drink skim milk? 8 ounces is an easy 8g. I also found these cute Protein Shots at Walmart that are awful but they are only 3 ounces and they have 26g of protein. Have u tried any protein powders? Idk if u can snack or not but there r Protein Bars but watch the sugars. I can't snack so I can't have any of those unless I include it in my 2 ounce meal but I would rather have meat or a veggie!! Hang in there girl!!

Yeast infections in your mouth, or thrush, is common in the first weeks after surgery. Also gall bladder issues are very common after RNY and many people need to have the gallbladder removed. Ulcers are possible, as are strictures and hernias. We can suffer from dehydration or Constipation that requires medical treatment, if we're not careful. Some things are preventable and some happen randomly, seemingly for no reason at all.

I, myself, ended up with some sort of terribly itchy rash post-op that three different doctors called an 'allergic reaction to something surgery-related' but no one knew what. Each doc gave me prescriptions for different meds, none of which offered any relief. I paid over $100 in co-pays for prescriptions that were useless. It took three weeks to run it's course before fading away. :-)

I found some Protein bars at SAMS CLUB that have 20 grams of protein and less than 2 g of sugar. I have one every morning for Breakfast. They have a pretty good flavor and are even better frozen. Before surgery I was drinking the whey Protein Powder with skim milk, but I can NOT tolerate it after surgery. It makes me feel sick every time. Tried it with Soy milk, and still felt sick.

What is the name of the Protein bars?

We're almost 3 months post-op. Let's share our progress! Here are my photos of before and now. The side by side is July 2013 and a week ago. The other was my 50th b-day present (necklace) from my dear husband last Thursday. Molly

post-180626-0-05209500-1388412221_thumb.jpg

post-180626-0-21752300-1388412246_thumb.jpg

Edited by DevilBlueDress

I found some Protein bars at SAMS CLUB that have 20 grams of protein and less than 2 g of sugar. I have one every morning for breakfast. They have a pretty good flavor and are even better frozen. Before surgery I was drinking the Whey protein powder with skim milk, but I can NOT tolerate it after surgery. It makes me feel sick every time. Tried it with Soy milk, and still felt sick.

Do those protein bars have nuts in them??

We're almost 3 months post-op. Let's share our progress! Here are my photos of before and now. The side by side is July 2013 and a week ago. The other was my 50th b-day present (necklace) from my dear husband last Thursday. Molly

Wow Molly u look awesome!! Keep up the great work!!! Happy New Year! I'll do my photos later when I get a chance :)

Molly, you look good. You are like me in that you look very different in the face with your weight loss. I love your necklace. I will also post pics soon. I had surgery 10/15 so we are at about the same point.