Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG October 2013 Post-ops

I had my surgery oct. 21st and have had a pretty easy go of it except for the learning curve of what my pouch will and won't like. I've learned that frozen vegetables are definitely not my friend, and I should avoid all forms of string Beans. I haven't tried things on the naughty list like sweets or fried anything, I'm to stinking scared to, lol. I haven't really missed any of it though, so it's been pretty easy. The picture attached is me at my highest, in May at 285 and two weeks ago at 210. Both pics are in the same sweater. I'm currently at 205 and am happy with my loss so far, just not the Hair loss.< /p>

Wow u look amazing!!!!!! Keep up the great work!!! Are you getting in all your Protein? When you say hair loss how can you tell you are losing it? I pick off a lot of hair off my shirts and have noticed a lot of hair left on the bathroom sink after I do my hair in the morning. So I wasn't sure if I'm starting to lose mine or what. I have baby fine hair anyway so I can't lose it!!! Wasn't sure if it comes out in clumps or just a little at a time. Congrats on your progress so far! :)

Oh, it's half as thick as it was before, I don't have bald spots or anything but it's definitely thinning. I get in between 60 & 80 g of Protein every day so I don't think it's my protein intake alone. I think it's my thyroid too. I'll find out when I get my labs next month.

CaliGal1--You look very different and really great! I am almost 3 months out and haven't experienced Hair loss yet, but I've been told that I might not see that happen until 5 months out. Your hair still looks thick in your current picture. At least your body looks thin! :)

I had my RNY surgery on 10/21/13.

I am able to tolerate all foods- salads, chicken breast, steak, all veges and my tiny portions of carbs are fine too.

Im a dumper. I had a small leftover Halloween candy in late November which made me feel nauseous for about 30 mins. I next tried "off plan" food at Christmas when I had a tiny portion of most things over 3-4 hours - but oh geez..I paid for it. I was ill all that night and next day!

Before surgery I was a binger on all things sweet. A snack was an entire packet of chocolate Cookies or half a family cheesecake (ok...sometimes a whole one). The mere though of eating that way now brings on terrible waves of nausea which is awesome!

Two weeks ago I began losing my hair. This morning as I was rinsing out the conditioner from my hair, my fingers were completely covered in mats of hair and when I collected it all up, I had a handful!

Not sure how long this can go on for before im bald! Im not overly worried. I hear from everyone that it comes back in soon enough. I got it cut to above my shoulders a few days ago too.

I walk 3-4 times a week for about 40-60 minutes. I eat my Protein and im pretty good at getting in 64 oz Water daily.

But my weight loss is horrendously slow. I had tried to be positive.

I tried to hang out in the slow losers thread as I felt like too much of a failure to post here with my surgery month peeps. :-( I feel like I don't belong cos im not meeting standard goals. I even put off my nut appt this week. She was expecting a 8-10 lb loss since my last visit but ive only lost 4 lbs. I'll have to face her next week.

Yep..im tracking via MFP. I take in 900 cals daily on average.

Its hard to stay positive. Especially when my biggest fear pre-op was that I'd be the one person thus didn't work for.

Im nearly 12 weeks out and only 26lbs down.

I feel hunger and sone days I feel very little restriction. My surgeon appt is mid February. I'll definitely be having a goid chat to him then.

Other than slow going...im doing well! My back pain is lessening and my pants ftom pre-op are finally loose. I've been trying to shrink them in the dryer but still too baggy.

Im counting my blessings for these accomplishments and trying to be patient.

It's wonderful reading everyone's succeses..congrats to you all!

Wow CaliGal1, you look great!

Molly

Rach1134,

I guess I'm a slow loser, too. 33 lbs since surgery on 10/1. Right before the new year I did a huge closet purge and have stopped wearing 99% of my pre-op clothes. It's the inches lost that are jazzing me these days, especially since I've gained a pound this week. I try not to compare with others figuring if I follow the plan I'll eventually lose. I do compare with my old self though. I haven't weighed 225 since 1995.

Molly

I had my RNY surgery on 10/21/13.

I am able to tolerate all foods- salads, chicken breast, steak, all veges and my tiny portions of carbs are fine too.

Im a dumper. I had a small leftover Halloween candy in late November which made me feel nauseous for about 30 mins. I next tried "off plan" food at Christmas when I had a tiny portion of most things over 3-4 hours - but oh geez..I paid for it. I was ill all that night and next day!

Before surgery I was a binger on all things sweet. A snack was an entire packet of chocolate Cookies or half a family cheesecake (ok...sometimes a whole one). The mere though of eating that way now brings on terrible waves of nausea which is awesome!

Two weeks ago I began losing my hair. This morning as I was rinsing out the conditioner from my hair, my fingers were completely covered in mats of hair and when I collected it all up, I had a handful!

Not sure how long this can go on for before im bald! Im not overly worried. I hear from everyone that it comes back in soon enough. I got it cut to above my shoulders a few days ago too.

I walk 3-4 times a week for about 40-60 minutes. I eat my Protein and im pretty good at getting in 64 oz Water daily.

But my weight loss is horrendously slow. I had tried to be positive.

I tried to hang out in the slow losers thread as I felt like too much of a failure to post here with my surgery month peeps. :-( I feel like I don't belong cos im not meeting standard goals. I even put off my nut appt this week. She was expecting a 8-10 lb loss since my last visit but ive only lost 4 lbs. I'll have to face her next week.

Yep..im tracking via MFP. I take in 900 cals daily on average.

Its hard to stay positive. Especially when my biggest fear pre-op was that I'd be the one person thus didn't work for.

Im nearly 12 weeks out and only 26lbs down.

I feel hunger and sone days I feel very little restriction. My surgeon appt is mid February. I'll definitely be having a goid chat to him then.

Other than slow going...im doing well! My back pain is lessening and my pants ftom pre-op are finally loose. I've been trying to shrink them in the dryer but still too baggy.

Im counting my blessings for these accomplishments and trying to be patient.

It's wonderful reading everyone's succeses..congrats to you all!

The thing about this surgery rach, is that it is not a race. You have lost weight, and that in itself is such an amazing accomplishment. Hang in there, it will come off! Even if you only lost 6 lbs per month that's still 72 lbs per year. I don't know about you, but I have gained ever year except this last one.

Another thing I like about this surgery is that all of our bodies are different, why should our weight loss be the same. I personally am losing weight in the exact reverse I gained it. So I am grateful. I have lost more than you have, not much, but I cherish every pound I have as this is a pound I will never get back, assuming I have Control over that hehe.

You have every right to feel the way you do, and it can be upsetting when you do not make your goals, especially since that seems to be a story we all can relate to. Please remember, we are here for you, and you belong here with us always! We will all face a challenge where we need help.

HUGS!

Thanks Autumn Punkin. ..I needed that hug! ( The timely reminder too)...thanks again.

I guess im so concerned over the slow pace because I continually anticipate my weight loss stopping completely around the 30-35lb mark like it always used to in the old "dieting" days (years, decades).

I also have this fear that I'll only manage to lose a maximum of 40 lbs or less and then regain it ....with extra. I'd be ecstatic with slow weight loss if it meant id still actually reach goal. I wouldn't care if it took 3 years.

All the years of failed diets, together with very slow weight loss after gastric bypass surgery, has me being a pessimistic and negative ol Nelly!

Im trying hard to trust the process. Im also having my first stall right now which doesn't help. It'll explain my wallowing. I have actually gained this week. Official weigh- in will be in a few hrs.

Thanks again...Rach

Thanks Autumn Punkin. ..I needed that hug! ( The timely reminder too)...thanks again. I guess im so concerned over the slow pace because I continually anticipate my weight loss stopping completely around the 30-35lb mark like it always used to in the old "dieting" days (years, decades). I also have this fear that I'll only manage to lose a maximum of 40 lbs or less and then regain it ....with extra. I'd be ecstatic with slow weight loss if it meant id still actually reach goal. I wouldn't care if it took 3 years. All the years of failed diets, together with very slow weight loss after gastric bypass surgery, has me being a pessimistic and negative ol Nelly! Im trying hard to trust the process. Im also having my first stall right now which doesn't help. It'll explain my wallowing. I have actually gained this week. Official weigh- in will be in a few hrs. Thanks again...Rach

I totally get your fear of failing and gaining it back. I've lost hundreds over the years and have always gained it back plus. So it's so hard to imagine that it's possible to be successful long term with this. I've had the same fears but That's why I finally decided to do this. Before surgery I told my husband that I hoped I would be a dumper so I wouldn't be tempted to got back to old habits & lucky me I got my wish, lol. This experience has been a tool for some extreme behavior modification. I've been through a couple of stalls now and it's frustrating, but it's teaching me a lot and I'm trying to focus more on how I feel. This week I plan to start the couch 2 5K program to get myself moving more. I want to be able to enjoy the things I did when I was younger, run, take long bike rides and ride ALL the roller coasters at amusement parks. Keep your head up and stick with the plan, you'll hit your goals eventually.

So you know how i mentioned that i seem to be having a hard time with food? Well, I started taking OTC prilosec(omeprazole) and It was like a miracle pill. I can eat and drink and nothing bothers me. I feel normal.

My surgery was 10/8 and since soft foods at 3 weeks, I havent really been able to eat or drink anything without pain or nausea or puking or all of the above. I have to date lost 75 lbs from first appt to today.

Stupid Dr saying I was fine and he wasnt worried and i shouldnt be either. JERK!

(end rant)

I was on Prilosec for the first 6 weeks, and when I went off of it EVERYTHING hurt too! I finally called the doc and asked for some more of it- and now Im back to good. I wonder if that will go away over time???

Yikes that scares me!! I'm done with my Omezrapole this week!! I hope I don't have problems because I've been really lucky and have only puked once!! I can eat pretty much anything. Healthy I mean. I haven't tried any sweets but don't want to! My weight loss has slowed down and I don't have my 3 month appt until the 30th. I don't like these plateaus!!!! Frustrating. But the good news is I haven't gained. It feels so good to be able to workout and not get winded when taking the stairs and walking a short distance!! Hope you are all doing well!! Thanks for the info about the omezrapole! I'll remember that after this week if I start having problems! :)

I had my surgery oct. 21st and have had a pretty easy go of it except for the learning curve of what my pouch will and won't like. I've learned that frozen vegetables are definitely not my friend, and I should avoid all forms of string Beans. I haven't tried things on the naughty list like sweets or fried anything, I'm to stinking scared to, lol. I haven't really missed any of it though, so it's been pretty easy. The picture attached is me at my highest, in May at 285 and two weeks ago at 210. Both pics are in the same sweater. I'm currently at 205 and am happy with my loss so far, just not the Hair loss.< /p>

Wow! Big difference already! You look great! :-)

My program keeps us on Nexium for a year.

Prilosec for 6 months post op at my clinic.