Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, thanks for this great info DLCoogin. I a just starting. My surgery was 9/5 so this came at the right time.

What about Isopure Zero Carb Protein Water? It has Ion exchange whey Protein which is supposed to be short on peptides but my diet includes whey protein isolate.

I wish I didn't spend the money on them already. LOL

Better to be informed and I have plenty of whey protein isolate thank goodness

Wow' date=' thanks for this great info DLCoogin. I a just starting. My surgery was 9/5 so this came at the right time.

What about Isopure Zero Carb Protein Water? It has Ion exchange whey Protein which is supposed to be short on peptides but my diet includes whey protein isolate.

Better to be informed and I have plenty of whey protein isolate thank goodness[/quote']

I have question to master RNY researcher- you DLCoogin... what exactly is proto whey, does it work as well... and is it really groundbreaking??? I couldn't come up with a conclusion... They make surprisingly editable crunch power bars witch it... Does anybody with specific knowledge would have a moment to look at this? Here is the link: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/bnrg-proto_whey.htm

Calorie wise these bars are 180-205, and or protein - about 15g... Greek yogurt has less calories and he same Proteins, but I was wondering if this Power Crunch bar could be for example a Meal Replacement...

I have question to master RNY researcher- you DLCoogin... what exactly is proto whey' date=' does it work as well... and is it really groundbreaking??? I couldn't come up with a conclusion... They make surprisingly editable crunch power bars witch it... Does anybody with specific knowledge would have a moment to look at this? Here is the link: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/bnrg-proto_whey.htm

Calorie wise these bars are 180-205, and or Protein - about 15g... Greek yogurt has less calories and he same Proteins, but I was wondering if this Power Crunch bar could be for example a meal replacement...[/quote']

My Nut says to stay away from most of the bars. He said they add a lot of ingredients and then just sprinkle some Protein powder over it.

He said to calculate Protein calories and you will know how much other "junk" is in it. There are 4 calories to every 1 gram of protein. So using this bar as an example you are getting 60 calories from protein. That leaves min 120 calories of other stuff.

Taking Greek yogurt as an example (I used to yoplait) It has 10g of protein and 100 calories. So it has 40 calories for protein and 60 for other stuff. To me it would be your better option.

Bars definitely have more 'stuff' than the shakes, however, if you look carefully, you can find some that are decent. I'm currently on a 'Life Choice' kick. 2-3 time a week I'll have a bar for Breakfast. They are 190 calories and 20 grams of Protein so 80 calories from protein, 110 calories from stuff, the ratio is almost identical to your yogurt ratio. Not saying don't eat your yogurt (I do, often, but sometimes want real food I have to chew!!!) just saying if you keep your eyes open there are okay options out there!

I would add to what music said that any "whole food" (yogurt in this instance) with a roughly equivalent amount of Protein is always the healthier choice vs. any "supplement". Protein is especially important for us RNY folks but it's not the whole story. Whole foods offer a lot of nutritional benefits beyond protein that are often not available from supplements. Protein Bars are handy if you're on the run and don't have the time or it's inconvenient to get other, more balanced options. I usually carry one along with a few nuts, a piece of fruit, and/or turkey Jerky in my car. I'm guessing that I eat one or two a month.

I have question to master RNY researcher- you DLCoogin... what exactly is proto whey, does it work as well... and is it really groundbreaking??? I couldn't come up with a conclusion... They make surprisingly editable crunch power bars witch it... Does anybody with specific knowledge would have a moment to look at this? Here is the link: http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/bnrg-proto_whey.htm

Calorie wise these bars are 180-205, and or Protein - about 15g... Greek yogurt has less calories and he same Proteins, but I was wondering if this Power Crunch bar could be for example a Meal Replacement...

Protein can be an extremely complex subject requiring advanced degrees in chemistry and nutritional science to understand. I am not an expert by any means. But the following might help give you an idea of what's happening in the protein supplement world.

As near as I can determine, "proto whey" is a marketing term, not a scientific one. Whey protein can be processed a number of different ways.

"Denatured" protein involves the use of heat or acid or both to change the molecular structure of protein and make it more easily absorbed.

"Ultra filtration" produces whey concentrate - about 70%-80% pure protein. Concentrate still contains fair amounts of fat and lactose giving it what some consider a better taste.

"Micro/nano filtration" removes virtually all fat and lactose and is used to create whey isolate - about 90%-95% pure protein. Isolate may be the best choice for folks who are lactose intolerant.

Whey isolate can be even further processed or "Hydrolyzed". Hydrolyzed whey protein is even more pure than isolate and is assimilated by the body very, very quickly. It also is very expensive, tastes extremely bitter and loses many important benefits provided by biologically active peptides that are destroyed in the hydrolyzation process. Sometimes the protein of choice by serious bodybuilders but probably not appropriate for the rest of us.

Ion-exchange whey protein is the purest form of whey protein on the market today. It contains almost none of the vital peptides and is biologically inactive. I have no idea who buys it or why.

So in my opinion, the age old adage "the less processed your food is, the better" is true when it comes to protein. If you are not lactose intolerant, many doctors consider the additional purity of whey isolate vs. whey concentrate to be insignificant. And most would agree that concentrate tastes better.

Egg protein is another animal based protein that is excellent. For many years egg protein was considered the gold standard of protein. It has only been relatively recently that whey has taken the number one spot. But that is likely due more to lower costs, easier manufacturing and more options for flavoring than any significant advantage as far as protein goes.

If you're a vegetarian, soy protein is a complete plant based protein and is readily available.

Stay away from collagen protein.

Finally when choosing a protein supplement, always consider the protein calorie to total calorie ratio. I drink Pure Protein shakes for Breakfast which have 35g of protein for a total protein calorie count of 140 vs. the total calorie count which is 160 or 170 depending on the flavor. So the protein calories are roughly 85% of the total. And I like the taste. There are many other good options.

Hope that helps and have a great day!!

I would add to what music said that any "whole food" (yogurt in this instance) with a roughly equivalent amount of Protein is always the healthier choice vs. any "supplement". Protein is especially important for us RNY folks but it's not the whole story. Whole foods offer a lot of nutritional benefits beyond protein that are often not available from supplements. Protein Bars are handy if you're on the run and don't have the time or it's inconvenient to get other' date=' more balanced options. I usually carry one along with a few nuts, a piece of fruit, and/or turkey Jerky in my car. I'm guessing that I eat one or two a month.[/quote']

Agreed, but my ability to drive and shovel yogurt down my throat isn't nearly as good as my ability to drive and eat a Protein Bar. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Wow, thanks for this great info DLCoogin. I a just starting. My surgery was 9/5 so this came at the right time.

Better to be informed and I have plenty of whey protein isolate thank goodness

Isopure is an excellent protein supplement. According to their website, the liquid is made from 100% whey isolate and the protein calorie to total calorie ratio is as good as it gets - 100% of the calories are from protein. The powder ratio is considerably less favorable but powders are more cost effective. They gave me Isopure in the hospital following my surgery. At the time, I did not care for the taste (at all!) but they have come out with a number of new flavors since two years ago. I have read very positive comments by members on the forum.

Agreed, but my ability to drive and shovel yogurt down my throat isn't nearly as good as my ability to drive and eat a Protein bar. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Given the choice between missing my daily Protein goal or having a Protein Bar, I'd take the bar every time!

Given the choice between missing my daily Protein goal or having a Protein bar' date=' I'd take the bar every time![/quote']

Or a shot...,that will likely be nasty nasty nasty!

Given the choice between missing my daily Protein goal or having a Protein bar' date=' I'd take the bar every time![/quote']

My nut said that in a bind he would rather us eat the protein bar than be short on protein, but wants us to make it our last resort.

Hi all, I've actually tried the Protein Shots before. I was having a very hard time with liquids and Protein about 5-6 weeks after surgery so my dr and nutritionist recommended them to help. They are not the most pleasant tasting things! It's a little under 4 oz and I struggled with it. However it's a good option to have in a bind or a day where you aren't getting enough. I tried a couple different flavors and they were equally not pleasant lol. Everyone's taste buds are different so hopefully you all like them.

Thank you all for much needed valuable feedback!

The shots arrived today. I've yet to try them but the consistence reminds me of a tube of snot....truly the only word that describes it....not sure I'll make it.

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 199

Well please let us know. I've been debating. I'm horrible at getting in my Protein.< /p>