Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgeries!?!?!?

I just got my surgery date for 12/19. I'm a little conflicted because it wipes out Christmas and our vacation, but if I waited longer, it would wipe out all my vacation time for 2014 instead of taking advantage of 2013 vacation time and company shutdown at year end. But I feel bad that it cancels our vacation, and we'll be alone for Christmas. We have a big family wedding on Feb 1, so I also wanted to be strong enough to go to that, especially since my parents are flying up for it. My alternate date was 12/30, but that would mean spending New Years eve in the hospital, and I'd be more worried about those "what did I just do?" thoughts taking me into the new year. Bleh, I'm lying awake thinking about it! Oh, and pre-op diet starts Wednesday: slim fast for Breakfast and lunch (any suggestions for good ones?), a Lean Cuisine for dinner, and string cheese for 2 Snacks. Seems doable (although monotonous, but I can certainly deal).

Edited by Mkmb2006

I just found out late last week that my insurance approved my surgery and I now have a date of December 26th. I am really excited and also kinda freaked out. Originally I was supposed to have the sleeve but my surgeon called me last week and decided that the bypass would be the better surgery because of some other health issues that I have. I didn't think it was going to happen this quickly. My insurance is dropping me at the end of December and I will have new insurance by January 1st but they just seemed to be dragging their feet in approving me just so time would run out and they wouldn't have to pay. I was flabbergasted when the nurse telephoned me and said I was approved. If I wait and do it through my newer insurance it will be $4,0000 out of my pocket. So I'm on the schedule for the 26th. All I can say is I am grateful but scared.

Edited by suendru

Each day I wake up, I pee, I dress down if not already in my birthday suit, I get on the scale, I take a deep breath in, I let it all out. I wait 10 seconds and just "embrace" the moment....I look down and I SMILE (most days). I am losing weight slowly and daily with my pre-surgery diet. This low carb stuff is working! I used to think it was for the birds....but that's cuz I wasn't ready to treat myself to this gift.........this gift of surgery.....a new life. 9 days to go until surgery. I have my head really in the game this time. I have done some amazing mental and behavior changes this time. It's real. I am so happy and proud. If you feel the same, take a moment to wrap your arms around yourself and hug yourself from me. If you are having a rough day, just remember that each day is a new day........if you are in search of a new start......take it.....it can happen each day, anytime of day. If you are off track, just get back ON TRACK. Don't mess up the rest of the day just because you may have fallen into the trap......step right back on the wild ride and go for it. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

Thank you for your words. I feel better everyday about my decision. I can't believe how much weight I am losing during this pre-op time. Barely any hunger and it is good practice! I am feeling really clear headed and calm.

I just found out late last week that my insurance approved my surgery and I now have a date of December 26th. I am really excited and also kinda freaked out. Originally I was supposed to have the sleeve but my surgeon called me last week and decided that the bypass would be the better surgery because of some other health issues that I have. I didn't think it was going to happen this quickly. My insurance is dropping me at the end of December and I will have new insurance by January 1st but they just seemed to be dragging their feet in approving me just so time would run out and they wouldn't have to pay. I was flabbergasted when the nurse telephoned me and said I was approved. If I wait and do it through my newer insurance it will be $4,0000 out of my pocket. So I'm on the schedule for the 26th. All I can say is I am grateful but scared.

We have same surgery date!

I am having gastric bypass too.

Also I am in same situation with insurance costs going way up in January.

Good luck and knew you are not alone in this journey.

It can be scary once the date is set. I still get butterflies sometimes but this holiday season we are giving ourselves and those we love an incredible gift for a healthier life.

OK I am two days away from my surgery on Wednesday December 11th. I am nervous only because I don't know what to expect as far as pain. The unknown is what is making me nervous but then again I think that is how it is for everyone. It seems real to a point and then it seems like a dream..does that make sense?

I am waiting for the hospital to call me to let me know when I need to be there.

OK I am two days away from my surgery on Wednesday December 11th. I am nervous only because I don't know what to expect as far as pain. The unknown is what is making me nervous but then again I think that is how it is for everyone. It seems real to a point and then it seems like a dream..does that make sense?

I am waiting for the hospital to call me to let me know when I need to be there.

I totally agree with you. My surgery is less than 24 hours away. And allowing myself to be totally under anesthetic . . . I've never liked that lack of control, or the loss of memory of that time. I know the anesthetic is for the best. I know this surgery is for the best. I need it to help reduce my need for medications. But before that, I need it so I won't have the problems that require those medications. So, for now I'm just focusing on the plan: Clear liquids only today, staying busy, completing the daily projects I have to do today, etc. I'm trying to let tomorrow happen as it should. I don't know if that helps you or not. I hope it does. But it's all I can do.

Well I just finished my lunch (fish). Starting my Clear Liquids now for my sugury wed. I can't wait to start the new me. I am shocked that I am calm and so ready for this. I read a lot of posts and know the first week or so kinda suck but I am still pumped and excited that this is really happening for me and my family.

OK I am two days away from my surgery on Wednesday December 11th. I am nervous only because I don't know what to expect as far as pain. The unknown is what is making me nervous but then again I think that is how it is for everyone. It seems real to a point and then it seems like a dream..does that make sense? I am waiting for the hospital to call me to let me know when I need to be there.

Mine is in the morning too and I've had the same concerns. A coworker had it done 4 years ago, same procedure, had no pain and no pain med! My doc has already told me I'll have a pain pump in my IV and already gave me a prescription for when I get home. Also have me something else to take twice a day when I get home but it's not for pain it's for healing or an antibiotic I can't remember.

I think it's different for everyone. I'm praying you and I are pain-free and on our way to a healthy life here this time tomorrow! Another weird thing is my doc put me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, not just two days

I'm on day 4 of my pre-op RNY diet and my headaches finally went away! I am on carnation instant breakfast (no sugar added) 5 shakes a day all mixed with Water except for the last one which I mix with skim milk! I can also have SF Jello & popsickles.

This is an option for me as well how does it taste-is it more of a chocolate milk/hot cocoa or like a Protein Shake?

Edited by Cherryhair

OK I am two days away from my surgery on Wednesday December 11th. I am nervous only because I don't know what to expect as far as pain. The unknown is what is making me nervous but then again I think that is how it is for everyone. It seems real to a point and then it seems like a dream..does that make sense? I am waiting for the hospital to call me to let me know when I need to be there.

Mine is in the morning too and I've had the same concerns. A coworker had it done 4 years ago, same procedure, had no pain and no pain med! My doc has already told me I'll have a pain pump in my IV and already gave me a prescription for when I get home. Also have me something else to take twice a day when I get home but it's not for pain it's for healing or an antibiotic I can't remember.

I think it's different for everyone. I'm praying you and I are pain-free and on our way to a healthy life here this time tomorrow! Another weird thing is my doc put me on a liquid diet for 2 weeks, not just two days

I've been on Liquid Protein for two weeks, and just Clear Liquids today. I too hope and pray for our success tomorrow!

So today my asthma totally went crazy. Had to come to the ER and ended up staying in the hospital. Really concerned this may interfere with my surgery scheduled for 12-20. Having to go back on steroids and hoping my doctor won't cancel my surgery because of that. Anyone have any experience with this?

My surgery was scheduled for 830 this morning and I had to be there at 539. Drove to my brothers last night and went it bed at 10. Felt good, no problems. Then I was unable to go to sleep. Midnight, 1am, 2am. By 230 I was in an awful sweat, my pulse was racing, and my stomach felt sore. It was like dumping but I don't know why I had been on my liquid diet. So by 330 it was not any better so I texted my friends and brother who we're coming that I was not going. I just didn't feel like it was safe given the way my stomach and heart were doing. Later in the morning I think the stomach may have been gas but not sure. I called the hospital to cancel but was unable to get anyone until 630. Then the doctors nurse called me about 930 to check on me but I was trying to rest and had the ringer off. I called them back she left a message to reschedule but then I had to leave her one too. I hope they can reschedule it before the end of the year as I've met my deductibles. But it's been an awful day still have not slept. I don't know if it was a panic attack or nerves but when she reschedules me I'm going to see if I can get an Ativan or something for the night before. I even had the bear my sister gave me when I had pancreatitis in 2009 that plays "don't worry be happy" with me! Hope none of you experience this and all goes well.