Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Band converters under........

Hello! I was banded in 09, lost 45 lbs in the first 6 months, started having severe acid reflux and port pain. Dr. said the band has to go. I now weigh 215 and due to my diabetes, my Dr. has decided that RNY is the best solution for me. I'm just concerned about losing too much. Has anyone else had RNY or going to have RNY that weigh 220 or less? I'd love to hear from you.

Hello! I was banded in 09' date=' lost 45 lbs in the first 6 months, started having severe acid reflux and port pain. Dr. said the band has to go. I now weigh 215 and due to my diabetes, my Dr. has decided that RNY is the best solution for me. I'm just concerned about losing too much. Has anyone else had RNY or going to have RNY that weigh 220 or less? I'd love to hear from you. [/quote']

Hi,

I'm pre.op. My surgery date is Sept 3rd. On my doctors scale, I a few weeks ago, I weighed 214. I started this journey at 227. I was also worried about losing to much weight (hard to imagine even thinking that!), but my surgeon said that no, I will not get to thin. According to his estimate, I should be down to 157 ibs based on my height and health issues. I'm also diabetic and he recommended the rny from the get go. I really wanted the band or sleeve. He doesn't recommend bands anymore and he said I more then likely will not get rid of my diabetes with the sleeve. So here I am getting the rny soon. I've heard several people leave the hospital without needing there diabetes medications, so it is encouraging.

Thanks Sue, I thought that the band was what I wanted. Like many others, I made a poor decision. my Dr. tried hard to tell me w/o telling me not to go that route, but I didn't listen and now I weigh less and still have to have RNY.

Thanks Sue, I thought that the band was what I wanted. Like many others, I made a poor decision. my Dr. tried hard to tell me w/o telling me not to go that route, but I didn't listen and now I weigh less and still have to have RNY.

Hello reshiapooh96. Had my band in 2010 got down to 206 at one point as I did alot of walking while in France and England last year. Came back to the states and went back to 214 as of Monday but I yoyo between 210 & 216. Band was removed in May 2013 because of slippage so dr also recommended RNY because of diabetes so all paper work sent to insurance today for the RNY should know something in about two weeks. Doctors (3 of them) only want me to lose about 60 more lbs. I would like to lose about 75 more lbs. They are definitely frowning on that. We'll see though. I've been beating myself up for not doing a lot more research on the lapband as more surgery wasn't on my bucket list either but living is. So going to do what I have to do to become healthier. Good luck.

I was 216 on surgery date,my weight has always been up and down thing. I'm 5'5" I got down to 150 a few years ago on my own then menopause set in, weight gain yet again. My insurance covered everything so I went for it. I am 16 months post op and weight 163, a 53 lb loss is not my idea of bypass surgery but my dr. said stop focusing on the # but how you feel. I thought I would get down to at least 150 without any issues but this is what it is. I run 5 miles a day, eat what I am suppose to eat, it just won't come off. I also have thyroid issues as well.

Hello! I was banded in 09' date=' lost 45 lbs in the first 6 months, started having severe acid reflux and port pain. Dr. said the band has to go. I now weigh 215 and due to my diabetes, my Dr. has decided that RNY is the best solution for me. I'm just concerned about losing too much. Has anyone else had RNY or going to have RNY that weigh 220 or less? I'd love to hear from you. [/quote']

I was banded in 2008 at 235. I got down to 185 and stalled out. In 2010 started having problems and finally this year decided to convert to RNY. My conversion was on june 12th and I was 219 at the time of surgery. I am 194 now. Im losing on average 2.5 lbs a week and am thrilled so far. Id love to get into the 120s but won't bank on that for now. Dr says revisions don't lose as much so if I can get below 150 I'll consider this a success. I wouldn't fear losing too much or too fast as it doesn't work that way for those of us on the smaller end of the spectrum. You can message me anytime and good luck in your decision process!!

Hello reshiapooh96. Had my band in 2010 got down to 206 at one point as I did alot of walking while in France and England last year. Came back to the states and went back to 214 as of Monday but I yoyo between 210 & 216. Band was removed in May 2013 because of slippage so dr also recommended RNY because of diabetes so all paper work sent to insurance today for the RNY should know something in about two weeks. Doctors (3 of them) only want me to lose about 60 more lbs. I would like to lose about 75 more lbs. They are definitely frowning on that. We'll see though. I've been beating myself up for not doing a lot more research on the lapband as more surgery wasn't on my bucket list either but living is. So going to do what I have to do to become healthier. Good luck.

Good Luck.....and Thanks

Well no turning back. Insurance papers submitted last Thursday for RNY. Checked my insurance website to make sure they did submit for authorization and sure enough it is listed, of course pending. But the doctor's office submits the surgery date with it. They submitted 10/23/13. Just have to continue to control what I eat so as not to gain until then. I've lost it too many times before to do it again.

Doctor's office just called about one hour ago. Insurance approval came through and surgery is scheduled for 10:00 AM 9/11/13. Have a 10 day liquid diet, see the surgeon and lab work of course and then onto a healthier me.

I had my band in 2010 the day of surgery I weighed 279 I got down to 204 and started having problems in order for me to lose weight i Had to be tight I could only get liquids down then my stomach slipped through the band they took all the Fluid out and I started from square one with fills and gaining weight. I am now at the point of being too tight or being able to eat anything. I am so frustrated I did my research I am a nurse manager and was over a Bariatric unit at that time of my band go figure. If I could do it all over again I would have done the bypass. The good news is I am now at one of our sister hospitals as a nurse manager for Neuro and I have a lot more support where I work now. I just feel as if I have waisted the last 3 years. I am now back up to 260. I am hoping to hear my surgery date this week.

I was banded in 2008, December of 20 12 it eroded from the inside out, had it removed and spent 1 week in ICU. 7 months later just had rny and feel great! Sure wish I had done this in the beginning.

I was banded in 2008, December of 20 12 it eroded from the inside out, had it removed and spent 1 week in ICU. 7 months later just had rny and feel great! Sure wish I had done this in the beginning.

Welcome to "sorry we had the band group". Been on this site since May (researching RNY vs sleeve as had to have my band out) an everyone (almost) who had the band wish they would have gone for the bypass instead and I am one of those also. Never had a problem with my band for the three years I had it, just had problems with the clinic staff that placed my band, so switched. New doctor found it had slipped, had he not I probably would have been in the same boat as you. He thought at first it had erroded, but it had just slipped. I'm scheduled 9/11/13 for the RNY. So glad to hear you are feeling great as it sounds even with the complication with the band you have a very positive attitude with the RNY. It so good to hear the positive side for those who still have to have surgery versus the bad side of those who have so many complications after having it. Thank you very much.

Me :D

I was banded in 2007 (highest weight 156 or so kg)' date=' down to 66-68 kg (about 145-150 lbs) and having by band removed and bypass done in 17 days!

Excited and terrified lol[/quote']

Good luck to you!! So happy I did!

Me :D

I was banded in 2007 (highest weight 156 or so kg)' date=' down to 66-68 kg (about 145-150 lbs) and having by band removed and bypass done in 17 days!

Excited and terrified lol[/quote']

Good luck