Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi first I need to say I'm new to this, not only new to the sight but new to social networking except for Facebook. Lol so if I make any mistakes I'm sorry. My situation is... I've been ok'ed for surgery & ever sense I found that out I can't stop eating. I'd given up all sweets, and Pasta ect ( I'm a diabetic) I lost 25lbs and was near my goal but now I'm hungry all the time & I'm eating sweets again, like "ohh a snickers bar I won't be able to eat that again so I'll have one now & culver's cheese curds, root beer floats ect." I had completely gotten off all of this to the point where if my husband & kids were eating those It wouldn't bother me (sometimes) lol. Has anyone gone thru this? This has effected my blood shuger & weight & I'm not focusing on my goal & am starting to think maybe this is not for me.

I'm 228, 46 yr old, diabetic, high cholesterol & blood pressure & a major history of heat attacks in my family. Thanks Daly444

Welcome! I totally experience the last supper syndrome. I gained 8lbs in a month and was mortified during my appt. I said the same thing. "I won't be able to eat like this again. This won't harm my progress." It actually does. It's very common to think like this. You will be able to eat things again in the future but smaller and not as often. After that appt for me it got real. I didn't want to cancel my surgery so I needed to make a change and stay focused. You can do this. I wrote a list of all the reasons I wanted this surgery and every time I had that urge to eat something I knew I shouldn't, I brought the list out and looked at it, had a glass of Water and moved on. I'm almost 5 months post op and its been the best decision. Wishing you the best of luck.

I have been experiencing the same thing for the past couple of weeks, today is my day to get back on track and I have to do it, but I can totally relate to you and just how difficult it is. Hang in there, we can all do it!

Omg great thread i also have been having this i am a Cereal and taco bell junkie a have lost 16 pounds since i started with the nut now im done seeing her and im falling off the wagon my surgeon wants me to lose 20 the least before surgery and omg so hard i think that i was pumped and following the diet excercised and all that but i have been discouraged since i have so much preop stuff to do and jump so many hoops and i still dont have a date yet i need eyes on the prize cause if not all of my sacrifice is gonna go down the drain hope i can make it on my own until the surgery need to lose this weight show that i can do it best of luck everyone :)

I went through that a few weeks ago. it was fun! My last meal was at Carabbas. That was definately more fun than the crappy shakes I am on now. vanilla. It tastes like chalk. I am sticking to it. Keep drinking Water and that helps.

In my opinion most people feel one of two ways that they want to enjoy their last supper (favorite foods, sweets, etc. all the things they believe they will have to live without) and then the other half decide to try to challenge themselves as lose weight. I would have to say I somewhat suffer from both as I made it my own personal goal to lose weight (I'm down 19 pounds and surgery is on Monday) but at the same time I've also indulged in my favorite foods but with limitations. I think after looking at the scale going down for the past 2 months and seeing that my clothes are fitting better it helps to keep me focused. Someone suggested writing down why you want the surgery. I believe that will be a tremendous help to you. I also believe in keeping your eyes on the prize. Commit to making some positive changes as you are working towards a change of life not a diet. The habits we form after surgery will be the habits that we will live by for the rest of our lives. Granted many of us will want something that we truly enjoy (when it comes to food) but programming ourselves to know our limits will be what will keep us on track and help to make us successful in our weightloss goals. Focus on that 20 pounds that you need to lose and put a plan of action in place. We can do this. Try chewing longer whatever you're eating longer to savor the flavor that tends to help me eat less. After all we'll have to chew longer once we have surgery so just get a headstart then it won't be so hard after surgery. Good Luck! You can do this!

I also indulged w/limitations. I found that all the foods I indulged in were sort of a letdown - they never seemed to taste as awesome as I expected. It was disappointing. My last two weeks before surgery I went on a liquid diet, even though my surgeon didn't require it. The resulting weight loss was very satisfying in a way that eating couldn't beat. And I got a headstart on losing. :-)

Thank you for all the support & good ideas. The list is a good one & so is moderation. I'm not good at moderation I've had to go cold turkey on all my emotional go-to-foods, the one I'm having the worst time with is pop. My nutritionalist told me she wouldn't give me the ok for surgery unless I stopped. I drink diet caffine free coke but she still says no go. ???? My worst is fountain pops, I now have to pay at the pump so I can avoid going inside & seeing the vast selections of succulent sodas, the hum of the machine, the rolling crunchy sound the ice makes while being made & the squeak of the straw going into the lid. Ugh ???? pure heaven. I've gotten so depressed & irritable that I have to go lay in bed till it passes. One place that's really hard is reastraunts. All they carry is pop, orange juice, milk ( lactose intolerance & just don't like it ) apple juice, lemon aid ( dietetic to much shugar ) & I've never been fond of tea, & coffie. Water can get SO boring! Does anyone know if its ok to bring in your own beverage? I like to put a little cranberry juice ( not concentrait ) in my water but I don't want to get in trouble. Also any other ideas on what to drink besides water & cranberry juice? Any one else have a problem stopping pop? I had no idea how addicted to pop I am or that any one could be addicted to such a thing. Ps) sorry so long & I would have responded sooner but I forgot my log in info.

One thing to really keep in mind is that you will be able to eat anything you want later down the road in your post op journey. So don't think to your self I have to eat this now because I will never have it again. It's just not true. With that in mind it should help you stay a little focussed. As far as not drinking soda it is a tough beast to get rid of. Try tea again as it has caffeine in it, but not the fizz. I enjoy lime in my Water from time to time as well.

The last thing I will mention is about our brains. It always helped me to think of my brain during this journey as a two year old. Two year olds want what they want and throw fits when they don't get it. Your brain will throw many many temper tantrums during this journey. Sometimes it is ok to give into that two year old, but most of the time it just makes the next fit a lot worse. Once you have the surgery your brain goes a little off the deep end. It just does not know what to do, and try's all it's old tricks. Good thing me stomach is now in control and when you give into your brain your stomach has the final say so. My example to this process is of eggs I ate 1 week post op. my brain had me convinced that I was doing great and my surgeon does not know what he is talking about - you can eat eggs no problem. So I finally gave in and my stomach threw them up for 30 minutes.

If you start with baby steps of retracting your brain now it will pay off in the long road. Remember it is just as crafty as a two year old and will pull out all its old tricks to get you to eat what it wants, but if you learn to recognize its tricks now you will be very successful!!!

Daly, you can have decaffinated iced tea with a sweetner, also crystal lite any flavor is like heaven in your mouth. Stock up on your styrofoam drink cups from the gas station fill one up with ice and crystal lite and you should be good to go! Try it and let us know if it works..

Thank you so much for your help! I've tried the crystal light, love it! Also comes in small convenient packages I can put in my purse. ???? Music 1618 you are so right! My mind has become a two year old, terrible two's, lol but really it feels so good to know why things are happening and that I'm not alone. Also seofe5 I will be going to SAMs club this weekend & I plan on looking for styrofoam cups & lids, I'll let ya know how that goes. Thanks to all this is the best app. ????

I did the same thing. Want to eat everything in sight with the thinking I won't be able to have that again. What I did to get through it was make a list of the foods I wanted most before I had my surgery. Then I would diet all week and have one of those foods on the weekend. I did it every weekend up until the date of surgery and still managed to lose 27 lbs. I had fried chicken, ice cream, Chinese food, fried seafood, pizza, etc and to be completely honest after a while they didn't even taste that good. Some were a major disappointment. Now I'm not hungry enough or too scared to dump to eat any of those foods. I don't really miss them.

Hi everyone, I'm happy to report my pop issues have gotten a lot better. The advise I've gotten here is priceless. Reastruaunts still hard when everyone's enjoying there pop but my crystal light helps. I'm still working on that last supper effect although I wouldn't call it that now. I was given pop to drink for breakfast/lunch/dinner ever since I can remember & cold Turkey just about ruined me. So durring the time my brain was having tantrums I started to crave more food. I'm shure the last supper effect didn't help because with that I was already eating what I was going to miss after the surgery. So I'm putting this down in text to encourage & reinforce to my self the fact that I will start eating better now. I just hope it's not to late, this comming Friday I see the nurtritionalest for the last time, the nurse will be there too. I've been ok'ed for surgery so this is finnal vist. I'm scared I won't have lost enough and I really don't want to show my food logs from the last couple months. If I tell them what I've been through ( last supper effect/pop issue ) I know I'll have to see the physic guy again & he's a real jerk (even my husband thinks so), if I get back on track like I posted I would and if I haven't gained as much as I think, would it be wrong to omit these two issues I had especially since I've been working so hard to overcome them. I really'ed appreciate your advice on this. Thank you