Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Logs Discussion

"Try not. Do...or don't do. There is no try."

"You must unlearn what you have learned."

"Control, control, you must learn control!"

Yoda

I am a huge proponent for food logs. Anytime I've been successful with weight loss food logs have been the primary tool in my arsenal. I am religious about mine because now instead of overeat I have the propensity toward not eating. Logging everything keeps me honest.

What log or app are you using and where are you at in your journey?

What log or app are you using and where are you at in your journey?

I use myfitnesspal. I've used it since 2007. I was banded in 2008 so it was with me through that journey too. I was revised to RNY due to issues with my band on 6/12/13. This has been a journey but isn't all adventures in life? While new to RNY I am not new to WLS but am thrilled with my results so far. I have lost 26 lbs since 6/12/13. In some circles there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth for that 'little' amount. For me it is a victory I Celebrate every Wednesday when I bust my scale out...

Dirty little secret....I think weighing every day sets us up for disappointment so I only weigh once a week. I never see the tiny fluctuations just the 'little' victories. :)

Good for you and there are no "little" victories in weight loss!! I celebrated every pound lost like I had hit the lotto! Lol.

It's great to have a real MFP veteran on board. Compared to you I'm a beginner. Please don't hesitate to share with us any ideas on how to make it even more powerful.

Love your policy on weighing once a week!! Kristy loves it too but she's too shy to say so!!

Four days with my food log, so far. I'm liking it. Some days I'm eating more than I thought and getting more Protein. Today I thought I didn't eat enough but my food log says I got 850 calories and 60 gr of protein. I was surprised. I can see how this can be a good thing. :-)

If it goes in (mouth) it goes down (log it) lol what I learned during my 12 week pre op course to qualify for surgery.

Back to basics for me. Logging everything from food, Protein, Water and exercise.

I've realized I've skipped meals and ate bad snack choices (cheez it's, uh I know!) and have stopped Protein shakes all together.

I must remind you I'm going through a lot of life changes right now and high stress so I my health has been back burner. One month of bad bad bad routines and no gym but walking for stress relief. Horrible sleep and more than likely dehydration.... I'm back to logging and eating and working out. I'm still losing but by no means the right way. I keep saying its amazing what stress can do for your figure! LOL

Based on logging: I need to eat every 2-3 hours, drink my Protein Shakes, yogurt and cheese sticks for snack. And Water water water! chicken and turkey I'm all over it!

Logging works!

Interesting to read how many folks at some point get away from logging for a period of time (including myself) and then "see the light" for a variety of reasons and resume their logging. Even more interesting that those of us who fit that description seem to be even more committed to logging than ever before. Makes a statement about the importance of the role that logging plays.

Welcome Jenn and thank you for joining our little group of loggers!

It really makes you in control. You have the figures at your fingertips to see what is going in your mouth and how it affects the weight loss gain or maintain. I love that part... I'm in control.. No guess work... And DL you know I'm not shy... I WEIGH EVERYDAY !!!!

date of surgery 02/21/12 surgery weight 340 lbs. current weight 146 lbs

Welcome Jenn and thank you for joining our little group of loggers!

I been loghing since 4 months prior to surgery

Good morning guys! Here's the story from last week which I'm calling "Terrible Tuesday":

Carbs/Fat/Protein percentages: 38/35/27

Weight last Monday: 151.8

Weight this morning: 151.6

Calories: 1283 OVER weekly goal. I set a goal of 1700 cals a day for this week trying to get back to my minimum weight of 153. My average was 1783 and still didn't make my minimum.

Protein: 689g for the week. Almost my 100g a day goal.

Carbs: About 10% BELOW goal. That took a little effort this week.

Fiber: 17g BELOW goal. Fell short of making my Fiber goal two weeks in a row but I was close and that's an improvement over past weeks and months.

Sodium: 3248mg OVER goal. Not exactly a surprise as you'll see below.

The good, the bad and the ugly sort of sums up this week! My son, a good friend and I went to see "Jobs" on Tuesday night. My son suggested we eat at Johnny Rockets since it is next door to the theater and we were short on time. In case you've been wondering - no, there isn't anything on the Johnny Rockets menu that one would call healthy. Best I could do was a grilled chicken Philly cheese Steak sandwich. How "good" was that - 720 calories. But I ate half so 360 calories. Decided to go for the fries on the side - 266 cals for about half a cup. So 626 cals for dinner.

But as everyone knows, it is against the laws of the universe to go to a movie without getting some popcorn. So not wanting to get busted by the universal popcorn police - three cups of "Movie Theater Style Popcorn, With Butter" - 6 5 1 calories. In o n e meal (and a movie), I had 1277 cals. And the total for the day? 2869 cals. Did I mention it was a good movie? We really did have a great time and you have to allow yourself those special days. But...

Needless to say, I had to do some adjusting to my calorie goal for the rest of the week to even come close to my 1700 cal average. Came fairly close to the cal goal but my weight just wouldn't cooperate. Still, I think it's a good example of using your log to manage your eating. There will be "Terrible Tuesdays" in everyone's life. And that's a good thing!

Plan for this week - still need to gain that pound and a half so calorie goal for this week is again 1700 a day or 153 lbs, whichever comes first!

You guys have a great week!!

I'm digging this forum. Another form of accountability. Thanks for starting it.

May Scott

HW 267, DOS (4/25/13)258, CW 209

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

thanks for sharing DL, ...So refreshing to see we are all human and have to have fun sometime...rules are made to be broken, as long as we regroup and get back on the bandwagon...lol...I'm sure we will all have terrible tuesdays and like you said, we need them....I'm too early to have a terrible tuesday, but I can't wait.............LOL... You still managed to lose 1/10th of a lb...

I was logging for 6 months before the surgery, but since I was put on liquid diet 2 weeks preop, I stopped. I agree with all of you logging fanatics, it helps a lot and I need to start doing it again, at least to see what may cause my stomach issues and control Protein intake. Thanks for the motivation :)

I swear if I didn't log I'd probably average 30-40 grams of Protein a day. I'm a decent guess with calories and Fluid but I ALWAYS over estimate my Protein intake. Damn MFP keeps me honest with myself :/

HW 312, pre-op (RNY) 255, current weight 200.6