Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Logs Discussion

True confession time. This has to be our secret. If you tell anyone I said this I'll deny it. You ready? Here goes - I weigh pretty much every day. BUT - I didn't until my weight had stabilized. When I was in the rapid weight loss part of the journey and I'd lose five pounds one week and nothing the next, it was too much of an emotional roller coaster. But when my body decided it was where it wanted to be, weighing every day made a lot more sense and is a lot more FUN!

Shhhhhh - our secret!!

Too funny!!! I give you such a hard time about the scale because you always tell people to stay off of it! I use it as a tool now just like the logs. Now that I am in the maintenance phase I weigh everyday to make sure I don't go up or down too much.. Helps with the adjusting of how much I eat. Don't know if that makes sense but it does to me

date of surgery 02/21/12 surgery weight 340 lbs. current weight 146 lbs

Absolutely makes a lot of sense (when you're in maintenance mode) and that's exactly why I do it as well. It is surprisingly easy to adjust your calorie goals up or down a little to keep your weight within your target range. Losing or gaining a pound or two is a snap. The scale tells you what you need to do - the log makes it easy to do it!

Terry' date=' I'd say your calorie count and what you can eat are pretty "normal". We hear it so often but it is undeniable that everyone is different. The real story is told in your blood work and I'm guessing that your doctor has ordered it for your three month follow-up. Your weight loss is excellent - congratulations!

I've never used the SparkPeople app but they have an excellent reputation. The calorie goal is obviously not calculated for RNY folks but that really doesn't matter. Any calorie goal is just a reference point - meaning that at an average of X number of calories per day, you're losing an average of X amount of weight per week. If you and your doctor are satisfied with your weight loss, then I'd say your goal in the 650 range is fine. As you have noted, weight loss following the surgery can vary quite a lot from week to week. That's perfectly normal and the real story is always in the average. If you ask me, 45 lbs in three months - amazing! Well done!![/quote']

I went for my blood work last week and have my 3 month follow up next Friday. I was looking forward to that appointment and really wanted to know how I'm doing nutritionally. Today I got a voicemail saying they need to reschedule. I'll find out tomorrow how far out that will be. I took one of my few remaining bonus days for that appointment. I don't have any more time off until my vacation at the end of September. :-(

And thanks for the kudos! I feel awesome and expect to continue doing well for some time. I am so much happier now and look forward to a healthier future! :-)

It's nice to know that what I'm eating is not abnormally low. I try to eat only good quality Protein foods - I have no room for anything else. Lol

Last week I was over my calorie goal every day except three days. But...my AVERAGE calories for the week was only about 100 calories above my 1620 MFP goal. It's ALL about the AVERAGES. Don't stress about being over for X amount of days. Focus on the average and you'll be amazed at how easily you can make minor adjustments for a day or two and be right back on track. That is a GREAT' date=' OVER THE TOP confidence builder.

You might want to try nuts for increasing your fats - very high in fats and very healthy. The often cited "Nurses Study" followed more than 80,000 nurses for five years. One of the things they found was that nurses who ate at least 5g of nuts per day reduced the likelihood of heart attack by a whopping 35%. Pretty much all nuts, including peanuts, are healthy. Just be careful with portions, they are high in calories. I eat 5g of nuts just about every day whether I want them or not! Lol.[/quote']

Interesting about the nuts. My surgeons nurse practitioner (who I really did not like) told me not to eat nuts as they were high in fat and not a lot of Protein benefit. I love nuts, and try to eat them about once a week. I think I will try to add them to my diet more and more.

As for my calories for the week I was over on my average for the week.

I am still learning about myself and my food habits while food logging. It has been an eye opening experience.

Since starting my food logging I really feel in control of things again. I am not so anxious about eating and pick better choices. I am also resisting the temptations that are all over. I went into a convenience store this evening at work to use the restroom and I was able to resist all the temptations. Mainly because I knew I would have to log in my food. I am also finally getting all my Protein. My next test will be soccer season. I will need to adjust calorie intake and protein intake to make up for the activity. Glad I am figuring out my logging before the season starts.

I went for my blood work last week and have my 3 month follow up next Friday. I was looking forward to that appointment and really wanted to know how I'm doing nutritionally. Today I got a voicemail saying they need to reschedule. I'll find out tomorrow how far out that will be. I took one of my few remaining bonus days for that appointment. I don't have any more time off until my vacation at the end of September. :-(

Well based on my experience, they wouldn't reschedule if there was any significant problem with your blood work so that's good news. But it doesn't make the scheduling time off problem any less frustrating. Just keep doing what you're doing - you're definitely getting results!!

Since starting my food logging I really feel in control of things again. I am not so anxious about eating and pick better choices. I am also resisting the temptations that are all over. I went into a convenience store this evening at work to use the restroom and I was able to resist all the temptations. Mainly because I knew I would have to log in my food. I am also finally getting all my Protein. My next test will be soccer season. I will need to adjust calorie intake and Protein intake to make up for the activity. Glad I am figuring out my logging before the season starts.

It's quite remarkable how the simple act of logging your food changes your perspective so dramatically. I know folks who don't log think I'm crazy when I say I often don't eat something because I don't want to log it but it's absolutely true. Generally speaking, you can increase your calorie goal by the number of calories you burn during soccer season and still maintain your weight loss or weight maintenance. When all is said and done it's always about the calories and if you're burning more, you can eat more! How cool is that?!

Well based on my experience' date=' they wouldn't reschedule if there was any significant problem with your blood work so that's good news. But it doesn't make the scheduling time off problem any less frustrating. Just keep doing what you're doing - you're definitely getting results!![/quote']

Thanks! They rescheduled my appt for my vacation the end of Sept. I asked about my blood work but they didn't have the results yet. They said if anything needed attention they would call me as soon as they got the results. If I don't hear anything then no news is good news. I feel pretty good, plenty of energy, alert, and sleeping well. I'm not too concerned... But I would like to have the reassurance that I'm doing things right.

"I feel pretty good, plenty of energy, alert, and sleeping well." And you're losing weight like crazy. You're doing things right!!

Here are my thoughts: I aspire to keeping a food log but forget. I know that it helps with long term success and you, DL, are proof of that. But I have not made the transition to naming a food log a habit, despite having an app on my smartphone.

Here are my thoughts: I aspire to keeping a food log but forget. I know that it helps with long term success and you' date=' DL, are proof of that. But I have not made the transition to naming a food log a habit, despite having an app on my smartphone.[/quote']

I was like you, but it only took me a week of doing it for it to become a habit. I just made it part of my eating routine. Instead of desert I log my food.

Here are my thoughts: I aspire to keeping a food log but forget. I know that it helps with long term success and you, DL, are proof of that. But I have not made the transition to naming a food log a habit, despite having an app on my smartphone.

Heck, if push comes to shove, set an alarm on your phone to go off for Breakfast, lunch and dinner as a reminder to update your log. Alternatively you could set one alarm to go off in the evening to remind you to update your log. But it is always best to log as soon as possible after you eat - if you don't you'll tend to forget things and those calories can add up quickly.

P.S. I just answered your post in another thread about determining the number of calories you need to maintain your weight. I mentioned this thread in my reply not having seen your post here. Sorry!

I am a huge proponent for food logs. Anytime I've been successful with weight loss food logs have been the primary tool in my arsenal. I am religious about mine because now instead of overeat I have the propensity toward not eating. Logging everything keeps me honest.

Newbies, don't fight it.. embrace the dark side. :)!