Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight for mushies!

My mistake Eric (don't tell my wife as I've been telling her for years that I'm never wrong!). I didn't read your post carefully enough. I'll have to do some research to see if there is any difference in the circumference of the J&J band vs. the VG. They are both larger bands, I've seen the J&J band and put some in on pigs but it is not yet FDA approved in the US.

Regardless, something is not right if you can only get liquids down.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C,

Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between the VG band and the 10cc Sweedish band?

The 10cc Sweedish band is what I have on now. How is the VG band any different and do you think a change in bands MIGHT solve this situation?

Many thanks for all the replies,

Eric

Dr. C,

I appreciate anything you might come up with as I seemed to have stumped my local lapband doc and am waiting to hear back from Dr. Joya's crew on this issue.

Thanks again,

Eric

Dr. C,

Did you by chance find out if there is a difference in the circumference of the J&J band vs. the VG??

I heard back from the original surgeon, Dr. Joya, and he now says that it seems my body may not be taking to the lapband and he is suggesting either the Gastric Bypass or the Gastric Sleeve.

Any thoughts?

I am very frustrated and worried about this possible change.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric, I'm no doc but I'd be very suspicious about this diagnosis from Dr. Joya. If Dr. Joya himself performs these alternative surgeries, I'd be doubly suspicious. It may be that some people's bodies literally do not "take to" the lap band, but I don't remember seeing that particular "complication" discussed on this forum before. It may have been, but I have not seen it and I've read quite a bit on this forum. In any case, it seems to be a very rare complication if it does happen.

But either way, it seems to me that there are other options that should be considered before you reach that conclusion that your body is rejecting the band and you need to have your internal body parts removed and rearranged.

One place I would consider starting is to get another doctor, if at all possible for you. There is a limit to what Dr. C can do by responding to posts on this forum. I believe you could use a second (and perhaps third) opinion here. I would do that asap if at all possible. Stay hydrated in the meantime (as you are already doing). Good luck to you. I know this has got to be pretty distressing.

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I do have another doctor working on my case, Dr. Malley. He is a lapband surgeon and is my fill doctor. He is quite puzzled and stumped as to what is causing this.

Dr. Malley is at a lapband conference in Colorado and he was going to check with other lapband docs. I haven't heard back from him so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The diagnosis that "your body is rejecting the lapband" is somewhat ambiguous since I have no swelling or redness or anything of the sort. Just very odd I think to get to that conclusion this early.

I welcome others thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Eric

I don't know why I found Dr. C comment on bandng pigs so funny! I just sitting here lol and smiling.

Eric, I have the Swedish band too and lost most of my weight the first 6 months with no fill. Now I am struggling to get the right restriction and continue to lose. I have not really lost anything since August.

I really do hope things work out for you.

Eric,

I did check and the circumference of the J&J band is the same as the VG.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C,

Did you by chance find out if there is a difference in the circumference of the J&J band vs. the VG??

I heard back from the original surgeon, Dr. Joya, and he now says that it seems my body may not be taking to the lapband and he is suggesting either the Gastric Bypass or the Gastric Sleeve.

Any thoughts?

I am very frustrated and worried about this possible change.

Thanks,

Eric