Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am open about the whole subject of the upcomming surgery. my family friends and co-workers have been more than supportive.

i have actually gained quite the fan club. ( not that it was my intention to have one :-)

by being open and discussing my journey i have found out that 5 people who i know have had some form of weight loss surgery. And have been greatly sucessful.

i have been given gifts ( books to read in the hospital) people are giving me clothes of the smaller sizes i will be passing through. i have not had one negative experience.

my feeling is the more support you habe the better the results will be.

cheers

RJ

I did not tell anyone I was having this procedure except immediate family and my Drs. I just told them I was having a hernia repair and stomach procedure for the explanation of why I was gone from work. There is too much stigma attached to weight loss surgery - being fat is one of the few areas everyone feels free to comment on. II have never found that telling anyone or dieting with anyone changes what I do - or - I would have had success prior to this surgery - after all people were judging me every day as I walked trough the world. The down side of this is I have wanted to share my success with some people who would really benefit from the procedure but if I do that - it will be soon spread around and the judgements would start. I have been mostly happy with this choice of not to tell.

thank you for your comments on this. I am having my upper GI this week and blood work, no surgery date yet, but coming after this Thursday, waiting to see the GI reports. I can't wait to get the band off!!! How long did the surgery take from removal of the band to RNY, I am guessing 2 plus hours???? I still haven't told anybody else and I am glad. One lady from church is bugging me about trying the Protein drinks from Shakley for a diet. She doesn't know what I have planned. Maybe approach her after surgery for Protein Drink help???? Thanks again everybody!

I had a band to RNY 5/1, it ended up taking 6 hours because I had a massive amount of scar tissue, but I recovered quickly, had minimal pain, and am doing great now. Minor complication with gross drainage from my JP, but had that removed this past thursday.

Make sure the Protein shakes from Shakley are whey Protein, and you need to ask the sugar content, some are outrageous. Good luck!

The only people that know are my husband, parents, my sister and 1 of my cousins. The only reason I told my cousin is because we are really close and she is getting married in the Bahamas on June 22nd, the day after my surgery. She wouldn't have accepted any other reason for me and my husband to not be there. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom so I don't have any crazy or rude co-workers to worry about. As for my friends, I told a few after I got my LapBand, so I'll probably tell the same friends a few months after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I've told everybody that will listen. I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had any negative comments made to me. They may be said behind my back, but if I don't hear it, it doesn't hurt me!! It's not like I'm hiding the fact that I'm fat. People can see that quite easily! I feel the more people I tell, the more people I have looking at me to make it successfully through this process.

My daughter accidentally spilled the Beans to my mother-in-law! Darn! Darn!!! Darn!!!!! She came over to give me the third degree. Then she asked me how much fat they took out of me and what I weigh now?????? (Shaking my head) I think she's thinking liposuction. So I tried to explain it to her. The closest thing she could come up with was heart surgery. (Shake my head some more). So now she wants to cook me some food (that I can't have). When I told her I need to be on liquids for now she nodded and said 'another fad diet' (pulling my hair out). Today she called to ask me why I didn't just do weight watchers since I once lost 50lbs on it 20yrs ago. (Someone just shoot me now...)

Wow...sorry that happened.some people just so do not get it!

Wow...sorry that happened.some people just so do not get it!

I'll just have to bite my tongue and keep my sense of humor. Now I'm waiting for her to tell my sister-in-law. She is a know-it-all with a nasty streak.

I knew it would eventually come out. All I really needed, and got, was for the ignorance and nastiness to wait till AFTER my surgery. Don't get me wrong. My husband's family would do anything for me, except mind their own business, but it always comes at a price. (((Roll eyes)))

Sounds like my husband's family....they don't know and hopefully they won't.

I know what you are going through. I told a couple of coworkers and was very surprised by their support. One did not approve but told me matter of fact that she realized it was my decision not hers.

The family is another situation all together. Mom and brother were ok but my sister was something else. I finally told her that her older brother was not asking for permission or approval. I was notifying her of my decision and not listen to any negative comments. It is amazing that she is still talking to me.

My nephews wife is a doctor and my sister put him up to calling to talk me out of it. I was prepared since I know my sister. When she started the negative comments and complications I agreed and told her the complication rate is less than breast enlargement and face lifts. She apologized since she is very familiar with one of the procedures. And I reminded of the health benefits I would see.

I know what you are going through. I told a couple of coworkers and was very surprised by their support. One did not approve but told me matter of fact that she realized it was my decision not hers.

The family is another situation all together. Mom and brother were ok but my sister was something else. I finally told her that her older brother was not asking for permission or approval. I was notifying her of my decision and not listen to any negative comments. It is amazing that she is still talking to me.

My nephews wife is a doctor and my sister put him up to calling to talk me out of it. I was prepared since I know my sister. When she started the negative comments and complications I agreed and told her the complication rate is less than breast enlargement and face lifts. She apologized since she is very familiar with one of the procedures. And I reminded of the health benefits I would see.

Good job! Good point about plastic surgery... :-)

Some else told me about doctors being negative on gastric bypass but being fine with cosmetic surgery with no health benefits.

Some else told me about doctors being negative on gastric bypass but being fine with cosmetic surgery with no health benefits.

Maybe it's quick money for them

I've told everybody that will listen. I've been very fortunate in that I haven't had any negative comments made to me. They may be said behind my back' date=' but if I don't hear it, it doesn't hurt me!! It's not like I'm hiding the fact that I'm fat. People can see that quite easily! I feel the more people I tell, the more people I have looking at me to make it successfully through this process.[/quote']

this is the same approach i have taken. i have found everyone is very supportive.....Good job. best of luck

My daughter accidentally spilled the Beans to my mother-in-law! Darn! Darn!!! Darn!!!!! She came over to give me the third degree. Then she asked me how much fat they took out of me and what I weigh now?????? (Shaking my head) I think she's thinking liposuction. So I tried to explain it to her. The closest thing she could come up with was heart surgery. (shake my head some more). So now she wants to cook me some food (that I can't have). When I told her I need to be on liquids for now she nodded and said 'another fad diet' (pulling my hair out). Today she called to ask me why I didn't just do weight watchers since I once lost 50lbs on it 20yrs ago. (Someone just shoot me now...)

OMG! I am laughing but sharing your agony. Your mother in law sounds a bit senile - or is she just dense? Keep your chin up! Clearly you are too sweet than to tell her to MYOB.

I need to find a tactful way to say it- like- " this is so personal, i am just not comfortable discussing it with you yet "- because i have plenty of opinionated coworkers and my surgery will be at the hospital where i work.