Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2013 Post-Op Group

My introduction. My name is Dana and I am 40 years old. I am on my second marriage (this one going much better than the first...lol). I had two daughters my first marriage and my current husband and I had a daughter together. He also had two children to his first wife. His two are older than my two and he had the only boy. his son is 17 his daughter 15 then my two are 14 and 13 and the youngest is 8. (yea, not a big fan of teenage girls right now). I began to have problems with my weight after I had my second child and began to have back problems as well. then several years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and of course the side effect of my meds was weight gain. I am 5'5'' and my highest was 258. It was all I could do to get through the day and would go straight to bed as soon as I got home from work. I have worked for a Head Start program for 12 years as a Family Engagement Manager. I really missed spending time with my kids and family. I began the process last October then in February I started having problems with my gall bladder. when I finally had my surgery 4/22, the dr told me that my gallbladder was one of the worst he had ever seen and it should have been out a long time ago. I never had any of the norman symptoms but was sick all the time for at least the last 2-3 years. I knew as soon as i woke from surgery that it was gone. my entire body felt so much better all over (even with the pain, it felt better). I have had no problems since surgery, thank goodness, and I have felt so much better. 1.5weeks after surgery I went to the shore for my 13yr olds twirling championships and was able to walk the boardwalk the entire week (last year couldn't even do two blocks). I am now down to 216 and can finally start going to a gym (also had two hernias repaired that I didn't know I had). Hoping to start toning some of the wiggle & jiggle.

I usually try to at least catch up every evening but with work and the kids having activities in the evening, its hard. I will say, when I am having a rough day it is great to check in and see how good most everyone else is doing. Hope all continues to go well for us!

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I am so so happy to be friends with everyone here. If u guys need to talk anytime I am here. Btw here is my touch of comedy for the day..was helping my hubby get into the shower without getting his bandages on his foot wet. Walked back into my room to find my nearly 80lb male Boxer wearing my bra!

I think he knew it was kinda bad cause we laughed at him so hard. Then he wouldn't look at me!!!

Of course he's embarrassed! He got caught cross dressing! Too funny and cute!

I love boxers!

I am so so happy to be friends with everyone here. If u guys need to talk anytime I am here. Btw here is my touch of comedy for the day..was helping my hubby get into the shower without getting his bandages on his foot wet. Walked back into my room to find my nearly 80lb male Boxer wearing my bra!

I think he knew it was kinda bad cause we laughed at him so hard. Then he wouldn't look at me!!!

The funnier then crap

My introduction. My name is Dana and I am 40 years old. I am on my second marriage (this one going much better than the first...lol). I had two daughters my first marriage and my current husband and I had a daughter together. He also had two children to his first wife. His two are older than my two and he had the only boy. his son is 17 his daughter 15 then my two are 14 and 13 and the youngest is 8. (yea' date=' not a big fan of teenage girls right now). I began to have problems with my weight after I had my second child and began to have back problems as well. then several years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and of course the side effect of my meds was weight gain. I am 5'5'' and my highest was 258. It was all I could do to get through the day and would go straight to bed as soon as I got home from work. I have worked for a Head Start program for 12 years as a Family Engagement Manager. I really missed spending time with my kids and family. I began the process last October then in February I started having problems with my gall bladder. when I finally had my surgery 4/22, the dr told me that my gallbladder was one of the worst he had ever seen and it should have been out a long time ago. I never had any of the norman symptoms but was sick all the time for at least the last 2-3 years. I knew as soon as i woke from surgery that it was gone. my entire body felt so much better all over (even with the pain, it felt better). I have had no problems since surgery, thank goodness, and I have felt so much better. 1.5weeks after surgery I went to the shore for my 13yr olds twirling championships and was able to walk the boardwalk the entire week (last year couldn't even do two blocks). I am now down to 216 and can finally start going to a gym (also had two hernias repaired that I didn't know I had). Hoping to start toning some of the wiggle & jiggle.

I usually try to at least catch up every evening but with work and the kids having activities in the evening, its hard. I will say, when I am having a rough day it is great to check in and see how good most everyone else is doing. Hope all continues to go well for us!

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk[/quote']

I was sick for awhile with my gallbladder

Ok I got to vent the other day when I was sick with tonsilitis and a kidney stone my husband came home late from work or wherever the heck he was he got mad at me because I didnt get up to serve him his food this was around midnight he hasnt talked to me since and then he complains that I leave him leftovers well when he gets home so late what does he expect he can eat what my 7 kids eat im not going to be cooking at midnight I work to he even pays his friends wife to make him lunch to take to work and when I was in the hospital he paid her to wash his clothes while my kids washed there own there are alot of days were he tells me the reason he comes home late is because he doesnt want to deal with us then he leaves at 6 in the morning so he can go weeks without seeing his kids if I didnt have kids I would be gone in a heartbeat when he is with us he drinks at least a 12 pack of beer I hate him for doing this to us he said if I ever left him he would run back to mexico si he wouldnt have to pay child support

Krystal you are a STRONG woman ....You know you deserve better for yourself and your kids...so sorry u have to deal with this

My name is Amber. I turned 27 in March. My husband and I have been married since 9/11/06. We have 3 children' date=' 1 girl and 2 boys, ages 5, 4, and 2. My husband is active duty Army(he was a police officer until the end of 2009). We are currently stationed up here at Ft. Carson, CO. We are both originally from Palm Bay, FL which is 45 minutes east of Disney! My mother had me at the ripe old age of 13, so needless to say, I never knew my biological father(though, I did reach out to him when I was 20). I grew up barefoot on the Indian River, and while we were poor as dirt, I had a pretty good childhood. My great-grandfather was my hero. I spent most of my youth with him and learned so much about life and values. I haven't always been a such a chunker granted I was "thicker" in high school I was about 165 at 5'8. I have 3 younger siblings, the youngest is only 13 and he is definitely the baby of the family. I am a stay at home mom, though I go to college. We are Disney junkies, even more so as adults then we were as kids. We vacation there as often as humanly possible and nerd it up with matching t-shirts. I can't wait to go back and ride ALL the rides with my kiddos without feeling way oversized. My husband is getting out of the Army very soon and we will be moving to northern Tenn. to be close to family. I am a Steelers fan, and LOVE the UF Gators. I read in my spare time, nothing is better than a good book. I plan on having another baby, hopefully no later than 30, though it may be later since we have to wait so long post-op.[/quote']

We love disney too!!! I was too scared to try any rides in october when we took our daughter for the first time because I was afraid I wouldn't fit :( next time we go I'm going on everything too :)

I will be 45 on monday!

Happy bday :)

My apologies if this has been asked already' date=' but does anybody else feel more flabby since surgery? I realize it's the fat breaking down, etc, but it's just such a weird sensation. When I go to the gym and do my exercises in the mirror I can't help but focus on my wiggling parts. Lol.[/quote']

I was just talking about it today I feel a loss and I'm down serious inches but I feel like its all gone south and in the form of flab. Thinking of getting a personal trainer

I have a big pannus or "gut" already.toning abs but it's a lot of skin and fat. Yuk. Ah well I try not to focus on it but I worry how things will be after 80 more pounds. I have to remind myself I did this to be healthier, not to become miss America.

Volunteering this morning at a triathlon these athletes are amazing. Hoping I can be among them in the near future!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I love reading them and getting to know you better!! I guess a little about me....

I'm Kelli. I turned 33 on June 5th. I live in Idaho. II am also on my second marriage. Together we have five kids mine are 14 & 12, his are 13, 10 & 7. The four oldest are boys with the youngest being the only girl. We also have an adorable puppy who is like having a 7th child... yes i said 7th because my husband i consider my 6th :)

I am a paralegal and work for the public defenders office. I am specifically assigned to murder cases. Working in death penalty cases has been very interesting but dealing with murder has become extremely difficult at times.

I too had to have a hysterectomy 4 years ago and while I wasn't extremely heavy I was still about 195. They took my ovaries too because there were masses on them as well, and unfortunately it sent me into menopause at 29. With the hysterectomy and the emotional eating (often to try and comfort myself after looking at gruesome pictures or video all day) I reached my highest in January at 272. I made a decision to take care of my weight and mental health. So I committed to the surgery and to counseling.

It's been a tough road but my counseling is amazing and my weight is at 218.

As a Sid note- we love boating and the Water. We go wakeboarding, skiing, tubing etc. almost every weekend. It is my goal by the end of the summer to be able to do it again. :D

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I love reading them and getting to know you better!! I guess a little about me....

I'm Kelli. I turned 33 on June 5th. I live in Idaho. II am also on my second marriage. Together we have five kids mine are 14 & 12' date=' his are 13, 10 & 7. The four oldest are boys with the youngest being the only girl. We also have an adorable puppy who is like having a 7th child... yes i said 7th because my husband i consider my 6th :)

I am a paralegal and work for the public defenders office. I am specifically assigned to murder cases. Working in death penalty cases has been very interesting but dealing with murder has become extremely difficult at times.

I too had to have a hysterectomy 4 years ago and while I wasn't extremely heavy I was still about 195. They took my ovaries too because there were masses on them as well, and unfortunately it sent me into menopause at 29. With the hysterectomy and the emotional eating (often to try and comfort myself after looking at gruesome pictures or video all day) I reached my highest in January at 272. I made a decision to take care of my weight and mental health. So I committed to the surgery and to counseling.

It's been a tough road but my counseling is amazing and my weight is at 218.

As a Sid note- we love boating and the Water. We go wakeboarding, skiing, tubing etc. almost every weekend. It is my goal by the end of the summer to be able to do it again. :D[/quote']

Hi Kelli!

I can't imagine a job like yours! Having to look at those pictures and videos must be a horrible thing! Don't think I could do it. Surgery and stuff like that is very interesting to me and doesn't bother me. But seeing what people can do to others is a different story. Kudos to you for doing what you do.

I LOVE waterskiing. Spent most of my high school summers on a boat with three high school friends skiing. The last time I did was at my sisters the week before her wedding in 2002. It would be awesome to be able to again, but probably won't happen with my back. :( best of luck to you my friend! Oh and I love that your husband is you 6th child. Aren't they all one???

After a depressing couple of days, I am feeling better today. I saw my pain management doctor and she is referring me to another surgeon that I first saw 3 years ago. She thinks it was fishy that the first one changed his plan 360 from what his notes said. She was as dumbfounded as I was, and thought id be having surgery as well. So now back to square one. I have lost over 70 lbs since I first saw this second surgeon, so she thinks he would be worth a try to see if he will help me. I can't see him until the end of august too, so I may be down much more by then. She still doesn't want me working, because I can cause more slippage and I'm already at a high grade 3 out of 5 grades. So as of July 10th I'm out of a job. :( 23 years down the drain. If I can come back within 6 months from the term date, I get my senority back. Don't know if that is a reality, so we will see. I faxed all of this info to LTD and should have an answer next week per the nurse handling my claim. Fingers crossed. Gonna be very hot and humid this weekend here so I plan to stay in the air and read a good book or two. Have a great weekend and thanks for listening to me ramble!