Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Everybody im just starting my journey going to my tests appts and all that loong process that we all know about anyway, a coworker of mines overheard a phone conversation and starts telling me that this is the easy way out she doesnt beleive on this that i dont care about my children and that surgery is for lazy people!!! Really!?? I think that you cant say anything to me i you havent dont know how ot feels to be tired achy overweight depressed not happy and most importantly not being healthy for my boys its the reason that i want a change in my life if people dont have anything goo to say then dont sat anything at all....

Don't let this rude woman get you down!! You are doing it for the right reasons which is to get healthy. She doesn't know what it feels like to be you or where you're at in your life. I have had people tell me at work that I am also taking the easy way out and that "with a little hard work" I could be skinny too. I have fought my whole like being overweight and I'm ready to be thinner and most importantly healthier. I commend you on be brave enough to ask for help and then seeking it out! My surgery date is scheduled for April 12, 2013 :)

I am so sorry your co-worker decided to push her own views on you. Keep up the good work and positive attitude. Don't doubt your decision based on the narrow minded view of one person.

You just need to tell her to do some research if she thinks this is the easy way out cause she is differently wrong this is far from being the easy way out you have to be so careful and watch and keep up with all your Vitamins all day and all your fluids and try to find foods your tummy can handle so tell her to try it or mind her own business and stop ease dropping and to get her own life cause your taking care of yours

I had a lot of people who thought the same thing and seeing me now, completely changed their minds. Sometimes we have to do what's best for us - it being easy and or hard does not matter. No surgery is every easy!! There a long story comparing the surgery to other things in life that streamlines the process - for example why does your coworker drive into work instead of waking up 3 hrs Early and try walking? The car doesn't make the job any easier, but its a better way for her to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thanks to everybody for your beautiful words and support glad that have found a place that is surrounded by postive people and respect my best wishes to all we can do it and we are going to do it!! Xoxo!

What a rude woman! First of all this is far from an easy way out, and even if it was WHO CARES! Why do some people think a weightloss is more what ever if one struggles and fight for it. Why does it have to be difficult? Why is it more worth it like that. Who would not take a magic pill if it was possible. Who would say no thanks I rather diet and exercise for years to loose 200lbs not knowing if it work very well or not. I can tell you who would NO ONE WOULD! Just ignore that narrow minded woman and be glad that you are at least doing something to improve your life and your childrens life, even if it is easy!

That is so rude and that person does not know what they are talking about. I just got mine 3/21/13 and there has not been one thing easy or lazy about it. There is physical and mental hard work ,some real soul searching and a willingness to do a lot of things that a lazy person would never consider. I hate when people feel its there place to comment on stuff that is none of their business. My advice is do what you have to do for you . Good luck and know we are all hear to listen :rolleyes:

I felt kind of the same way a few years ago. I thought this surgery was "the easy way out" and I should be able to do this on my own. Well, guess what? Yeah, didn't happen. I've struggled my entire life with weight & I'm done. When I went to my Dr's seminar one thing they said that stuck with me was that all dieting and up & down weight has completely messed up my metabolism so realistically, I wouldn't be able to lose the weight the "normal" way. I just want to be healthy & this surgery, the recovery and the lifelong changes sure don't seem easy. But hopefully the surgery will give me a quality of life I've never had. Good luck, everyone!!! <3

I'm not sure what I would say to someone who said that to me other than to tell them that their views are ignorant and they should educate themselves before commenting.

That or just b**ch slap someone.

HW 283. SW265. SD 3/22/13! CW 256

Just ignore her if you can. I'd purposefully cut her out of my convos and just not talk to her about personal stuff anymore. :( I had a coworker say the same thing. I overheard her talking to other people, not me. It almost made it worse. Of course, we're talking about someone with thin genes that only has to give up "sodas" to lose the "oh my gosh, 10 POUNDS" that she gained over the holidays. When she's lost and gained the equivalent of her insignificant body weight repeatedly on yo yo diets...well. Then she can talk about easy...cuz I have. I've lost HER equivalent on a few occasions and it always comes back.

People are hurtful, insensitive, purposefully judgmental and ignorant on many things. You can't let them determine how YOU feel. ←it's hard but it's what I tell myself.

Thanks again for you comments!!

First off you should have let her know her opinion was not needed nor appreciated and ask her did she have anything else better to do like "work" rather than listen to your conversation and add her 2 uneducated cents.

When I decided to start my own journey I knew it would not be easy,...

I knew the changes I was going to go through and I knew mentally I had to prepare for it...

The only ones who knew I was going to do this surgery were my kids and my doctor, I have learned along the way not many people agree with this lifestyle change and not everyone wishes you well....but I did what was right for me and my children so I can live a healthier lifestyle. People will always fear what they do not know .

I had a hell of a start after surgery and believe me none of it was easy....and even after surgery I had to have 3-4 endoscopy until I was able to keep even keep liquid down...

You go from a football size stomach to a golf ball size pouch....

Emotionally you will be up and down, your new pouch may dump things you use to like and some days you go thru hell just because this lifestyle change is not easy..

It's like being a baby all over again and taking baby steps into a new life.

But the days ahead get so much better....

I hate to hear people say weight loss surgery is a easy way out...

Gastric bypass saved my life....I can breathe better, walking is no longer hard for me, playing with my kids doesn't wear me out...

I am able to sit on one chair on the bus, I can finally look in the mirror and like the reflection I see, I"m able to cross my legs...My confidence is getting better and I feel like my journey will only get better from here.

People need to understand WLS is not an easy way out

You will get sick, throw up, go thru changes, hate the world, become depressed, have regrets, loose friends along the way, find new friends along the way

You will loose boyfriends, husbands and people will talk shit...if this sounds easy, show me what hard is -_-

This is why I love this site, you have people in the same situation, with the same goals making progress daily....and personally I have talked to people across the world and I feel the support because only a person going through what your going through would understand.

With that said either you can educate a person or ignore there ignorance, only you will reap the rewards!

Until a person walks in your shoes they will never know what you have to deal with on a daily basis.

I wish you all the best on your journey, the next time your co worker wants to listen while your on the phone give her something to hear....

for example act like you heard the boss of the company is downsizing and you saw her name on the list lol that will teach her

Lol true!!! Thanks best wishes!!!