Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Fill Lots Of Restriction!?????

I Know I Just Had Surgery And Everything Is Still Swallen But I Sip Sip Sip And Get Fo Full - Will This Restriction Lessen Or Is It Possible That I May Not Have To Get A Fill? I Am Not Hungry At All And The liquids Are Not Bothering Me Since I Am So Full!

I Know I Just Had Surgery And Everything Is Still Swallen But I Sip Sip Sip And Get Fo Full - Will This Restriction Lessen Or Is It Possible That I May Not Have To Get A Fill? I Am Not Hungry At All And The Liquids Are Not Bothering Me Since I Am So Full!

I'm not sure when you were banded. If it was just a week ago or so, then the restriction you feel is still the swelling of your stomach from the surgery. It is too early to tell much about any actual band restriction you may have once the swelling goes down.

My situation is a little different. I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from surgery and I still have major restriction. I'm a little concerned about it because sometimes I can't eat anything but liquids even now. When I try to eat real food, slowly and chewing really well, sometimes it goes down OK. Most of the time, however, after one or two bites I get the golf ball and have to PB. I know this is not good, especially so soon after surgery. I'm just not sure what is going on with me. I don't know if this is a sign of a problem, or just that I am lucky to have so much restriction without a fill.

Since I can eat solid food sometimes I feel like this is probably not a slip. But I don't really know that yet. I know, I know, I should go to the doctor.

Anyway. I'm going to stay on liquids for a few days and see what happens.

But as for your question, if you have had surgery recently, don't worry about your restriction. It's definitely normal until you heal a bit.

I Know I Just Had Surgery And Everything Is Still Swallen But I Sip Sip Sip And Get Fo Full - Will This Restriction Lessen Or Is It Possible That I May Not Have To Get A Fill? I Am Not Hungry At All And The Liquids Are Not Bothering Me Since I Am So Full!

I have been banded for 3months...no fill yet, but I will be going next week for one... I feel less restriction now. I have lost 34 lbs. without it...in part due to some restriction and part will power. For most it takes several weeks to lose restriction...give it 8 weeks before a fill.

I lost around 60 or 80 pounds without a fill. Some people can go without for quite a while. Now I haven't had a fill in almost 2 years. I think I still have a fair amount of internal restriction. This is a blessing; fills can get expensive.

What you are feeling is still just the swelling from the surgery. As for the band, until you begin getting fills, you might as well not have a band. You had one inserted, but it has not yet been 'turned on'....the fills are what give you restriction and what make the band work. However, I think sometimes just knowing the band is there works on our mind, and helps us with the psychological part of managing our appetite and eating habits. And 'brain surgery' is what most of us needed after all, isn't it.....help in dealing with the part food plays in our emotional life.

Note to people who are considering being banded.....if you can't afford the fills (and it usually takes 4-7 over the course of a year or two), then you can't afford a band. It's like buying a Lexus then parking it in the garage and walking to work because you can't afford the insurance and gas.

I have been told that the amount of fat pads a person has on the stomach could have a lot to with needing fills or not.....

Everyone has fat pads in different places and if you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't have any fat pads around your stomach you might not need fills as often as a person who does. (because the fat shrinks and the bands needs a fill)

I lost around 60 or 80 pounds without a fill. Some people can go without for quite a while. Now I haven't had a fill in almost 2 years. I think I still have a fair amount of internal restriction. This is a blessing; fills can get expensive.

i am ay 35 lbs lost without a fill. Did they ver explain to you why so long ?? I even get certain food stuck and have had a few PB'S!

That is normal. You will feel different in a few weeks. My doctor recommends waiting 6 weeks before your first fill. Also because you are losing the stomach lining makes you need a fill. You'll know when the time is right.