Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

addicted to smoking

I meet with my surgeon today and his number one thing for me to do is quit smoking. I was already planning to anyway but geeesh its do hard. Just wanted to open up to invite people too share their stories, offer encouragement and find others looking for the same support

I am also afraid to stop smoking because its an appetite suppressor, i guess I'm afraid to gain more weight

I meet with my surgeon today and his number one thing for me to do is quit smoking. I was already planning to anyway but geeesh its do hard. Just wanted to open up to invite people too share their stories' date=' offer encouragement and find others looking for the same support[/quote']

It is hard. Ulcers are inevitable after surgery if you don't. I quit last year and my husband quit for surgery. It may be helpful to talk to your PCP about medications if nothing else works. I do NOT recommend Chantix but Wellbutrin is an antidepressant that really helps with quitting and weight loss. Worth a conversation with your doc. Good luck!

I had the same problem I tested positive on my first nicotine test which delayed me getting a surgery date. I suggest Chantix, it is expensive but it is worth it. You can smoke the first week youtake it then after that you won't want to. I even did the Patches which was good for 3 weeks but I was snacking like crazy. With Chantix you don't crave the cigarettes and actually the smell of them makes me naseous. I have told my bf who smokes he can't smoke in the house anymore because it smells horrible to me now.

I was able to quite for the surgery as well I am so glad I have been smoke free for over a year and half now and down 51 pounds. 37 since surgery in november I feel so much better. You can do it try stopping one thing at a time I was a big car smoker so I stopped smoking in the car first then when I was done with the car smoking I stopped having my after lunch smoke.etc. It took a month to stop but I feel so much better totally worth quiting

What kind of nicotine test do they do? Urine? And how long do u have to stop before you test negative? This has been the one thing that has been SOOOOOO HARD!

It was a urine test for mine and u have to be smoke free for at least 5 days maybe more depending on how long and how much you smoke. Try the electronic cigarettes without nicotine and just tobacco in them

I had to do a blood rest and be smoke free for six weeks and re rest at prep OP testing

Yeah I was told I would retest before surgery too but I have been smoke free for 3.5 wks now

What kind of nicotine test do they do? Urine? And how long do u have to stop before you test negative? This has been the one thing that has been SOOOOOO HARD!

My doctor said they will do a urine before surgery is even scheduled and one before surgery as well. He said a minimum of six weeks

I was able to quite for the surgery as well I am so glad I have been smoke free for over a year and half now and down 51 pounds. 37 since surgery in november I feel so much better. You can do it try stopping one thing at a time I was a big car smoker so I stopped smoking in the car first then when I was done with the car smoking I stopped having my after lunch smoke.etc. It took a month to stop but I feel so much better totally worth quiting

Great advice. Thank you. My car is the favorite place to smoke

Chantix helped me quit after 12 yeas

Oh yeah... The smoking was my favorite...but my eye was set on RNY :)

I do recommend the ecigs. That is what helped me quit. Its been 6 months now

My surgeon required I quit smoking as well... they wanted me to quit 2 wks before surgery and even made me sign a promise form. I signed it but I quit the night before surgery, there was no way in hell I would be able to quit before surgery. I am smoke free for almost 10 months now. I have quit and started for years, the longest I quite for was like 7 yrs. but went back, quit for like 4 yrs, went back, quit again, went back.. I made a promise to myself that if I had surgery to get healthy the smokes had to go too. I feel 1000% better. I do miss it but i can do without it !!!

You have to really, really, really want to quit .. its difficult but if you put your mind to it you can do it !!!