Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

I was just banded yesterday!

I have a question -- when I was being discharged - the nurse told me that the doctor did a LIVER BIOPSY.

Has anyone else been told this or had this done?

Here's a picture of my first day back at work :confused:

coworkers said they could already see a difference one week postop :D

I don't see it, but I figured I'd share...

OMG You look fantastic- and so happy! Congrats

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I am sobbing as I type this...

I am

DENIED!

due to the lack of documentation of a "rigorous" wt loss program of at least 6 mo duration over the past 2 years.

:confused:

My coordinator is really nice & helpful... I told her straight up that I've done it all and that I'd basically given up on paying for this program or that just to fail again... and that, ironically, the band has been my first glimmer of hope in ages... but now my "lack" of "trying" (I TRY EVERY DAY!) is the cause of my denial.

I have 1 appeal available w/in 6 months...

so I guess it's off to the pcp for a "rigorous" program.

I am soooooooooooooo upset!

what about going to a nutritionist? My Dr required that - so with his requirement and my talking to my pcp for 2 years I had no problems with approval.

hope that helps, Don't give up!

Tracy - Don't be too hard on yourself! You were going for a record breaking perfect diet, which has always been a set up for me. Look at what has gone right and love yourself. Hugs to you, been there - perfectionists of the world - and there are lots of them out there. Huh, guys?

LOL!! Steak Out... It's in the southeastern states.. I'm in Alabama.

I used to get steak dinners and steak sandwhiches. The past month I've been good and getting their ham chef salads. They have sirloin chef salads, but I'm trying to stay away from steak right now. Go figure!

Mdrai- Don't give up just yet, I've read many people win their appeals.. So appeal as best you can!!

---

I'm leaving work now to go to Sam's and buy bulk SF pudding-jello, etc.

Weeeeeeeeeeeee. Tomorrow is my pre-op testing. So close...

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts... of course I am going to whatever they tell me... but I am still soooooo bummed out. Bleh.

I faxed the 4 pages to the coordinator... it all pretty much shows that I've been trying everything, diet & exercise, since 2000. By the time I drove home from faxing it to her, she'd called and said that the reviewer wanted documentation that it was all pcp-supervised! Well, in a way, yes, as she is always telling me to loose weight, but in a way, no, as I did all this stuff on my own, and didn't necessarily check in with her. SO... I left a long message w/the pcp trying to explain it all and to ask her to write a note to them & what to say & oh, do it asap... I'm waiting for her to call me for the fax number, but she gets off at 4:30 today (now) and is off tomorrow... so probably Thurs will be the earliest she'll get back to me........... grrrrrrrrrrr...

Here's the bottom line: I'm a fat poster-child for Lap Band and they won't approve me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the sense in this??

Maybe one day I'll look back at all this and laugh?

mdrai - You are working really hard and I hope the insurance jocks get it right. We all have been through the wringer, otherwise we wouldn't be taking this step. I have BC/BS of Colorado and they don't even consider WLS. Other states that have BC/BS cover it, but not here. I think that is really unfair too. So, I am a self-pay. Cough!

But I deserve it. So I am going ahead with it.

Good luck with the system! You are a woman on a mission and surely will be approved!

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts... of course I am going to whatever they tell me... but I am still soooooo bummed out. Bleh.

I faxed the 4 pages to the coordinator... it all pretty much shows that I've been trying everything, diet & exercise, since 2000. By the time I drove home from faxing it to her, she'd called and said that the reviewer wanted documentation that it was all pcp-supervised! Well, in a way, yes, as she is always telling me to loose weight, but in a way, no, as I did all this stuff on my own, and didn't necessarily check in with her. SO... I left a long message w/the pcp trying to explain it all and to ask her to write a note to them & what to say & oh, do it asap... I'm waiting for her to call me for the fax number, but she gets off at 4:30 today (now) and is off tomorrow... so probably Thurs will be the earliest she'll get back to me........... grrrrrrrrrrr...

Here's the bottom line: I'm a fat poster-child for Lap Band and they won't approve me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the sense in this??

Maybe one day I'll look back at all this and laugh?

Hang in there. perhaps your pcp can give you a referral for the lapband. Mine did, in he gave me the number and told me to call. He also forwarded my medial history with all my complaints and weigh-ins.

Hi!

Tracy---glad the previous owner is coming with his knowledge. I hate when you are left not knowing where to turn next. The weight you gained from the pizza will drop back off---it is most likely caused by the high sodium in the pizza---you didn't eat a pound and a half worth---but you are likely retaining that much Fluid from it. Chinese always makes me gain that way---but it goes away quickly too!

Laura---when it comes to men and women and weight issues in general...you are looking for justice in an unjust world!!! Keep in mind when you buy your pudding, that if you have any unflavored Protein Powder, you can use a spoon full of pudding mix added to a Protein Shake for flavor---just don't use too much, or you do have pudding!!!

GR8---I would be on the phone NOW!!! I would want to know about the biopsy! Many time results from something come back and the office fails to inform you---well if you were not aware in the begining of WHY it was done....if there is a problem it could be disasterous!!! I would demand some answers! Let us know!!! Will be thinking good thoughts for you!

Michelle---I too was denied. My issue was that I missed an appointment, so it cancelled my 12 consecutive month clause. I had been going 2 times a month. Once to see my Dr. as a patient, and 2 to see him as a nutritionist. Which was required, but since there are none in my area, BCBS of TX allowed him to do it. So I saw him every 2 weeks for 10 1/2 months....paid my co pay each time...Then I was in a car accident, and required surgery to repair my knee. I called, in fact the Dr. saw me in the hospital---but because I missed the scheduled nutritionist appointment, it invalidated my 10 1/2 months, and had to start over, as it had to be consecutive. I appealled it, and was told they would approve it with the 12 consecutive months clause met. But they would not re pay for another sleep study (which would be required) nor for another psyche analysis (also required to be within 6 months of surgery date). I was so mad!!! Mad at the stupidity of the insurance nit picking---but mostly I was thoroughly P.O.'d at my Dr.---technically his wife who is his greedy office manager! It was her that put the brakes on. I think she liked the knowledge that I was paying her $60.00 a month, who knows how much insurance paid on each visit---and as soon as I had surgery, they wouldn't be getting that! My DD (who ironically is his nurse) said she is as greedy as they come, and jealous of my having it done. So in the end, I was given a cash settlement from my injury in the accident, so I took off running to MX with it, and had it done self pay. One way or another you will figure this out! It sounds like you have willing helpers anyway! Somewhere there is a thread that has some appeal letters in it---I will look for it, and ask a friend I know has one in there---it might give you some guidance if it goes that far. Will be thinking positive things for you!!!

As for my Dr. both my DH and I pulled from that office, and my DD is leaving in a few weeks to attend the Police Academy---they can do without our $$$$!!!

Everyone take care!!!

Kat

Hi all April Bandsters. I am on my 2nd day today of the liquid pre-op diet. I have to be on it for a week. Well, yesterday was not so bad, but today! URG! I am starving!! I called the Center and told them and they told me to use skim milk in my shakes instead of the Water they call for. I did that, now have the RUNS!! Is this normal?? Will it be this way all week?? She told me that the hunger will stop mostly probably by tomorrow. Help from anyone????:omg:

Bandme & GR8... if you happen to read this.... please please please tell us in more detail about your surgery experiences!

I really am interest in PAIN- like, immediately following, the next day, etc. How would you describe it?

My band-day is next Monday and I am starting to freak out a little bit!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all April Bandsters. I am on my 2nd day today of the liquid pre-op diet. I have to be on it for a week. Well, yesterday was not so bad, but today! URG! I am starving!! ...Will it be this way all week?? She told me that the hunger will stop mostly probably by tomorrow...:omg:

For me, the hunger totally subsided by day 3 or 4. I am on day 11 and I am doing very well: almost no hunger and the pounds are dropping off quickly. I have 6 more days, and I am confident that I can do it. You can, too!

One thing I noticed was that if I "eat" like even just a little bit, then I am suddenly ravenously hungry and miserable. I already posted my trials of Easter weekend!!!! I felt horrible. Next day, back on program, and I felt so much better.

Also, I would suggest trying different types of Protein Drinks. And, I read on this thread that someone started using Chromium Picolate (sp?) - from the Vitamin aisle- like ChromMax and I started it today and I swear I can tell a difference in appetite and energy!!!!!

Water has been helpful- with Crytal Light. I never before understood why people like the stuff, but now I am totally on board with it.

Can you try that Soy milk to combat the runs?

Schexymomma - hi there! I was FREAKED out too as it got to be a couple of days away from my surgery date. I went to the hospital for pre-op bloodwork, and EKG, and paperwork and when they gave me the consent forms for the neck catheter is when I REALLY started to freak out. I called my dr immediately and he said they do NOT do it for lapband but for bypass it's routine. I still wasn't completely settled and even on my surgery date from the moment I got there until I was out I was asking everyone who came to do something to me about the neck cath - all said "no" - so I was freaking out for nothing.

Honestly - it will truly go smoother than you are thinking it will now. I was calm until the pre-op appt. I didn't go crazy with "the last foods" the day before surgery. But I did treat myself - not crazily but definitely treated myself = Breakfast I had a Bruegger's bagel with a diet coke, lunch I had Wendy's chicken salad sandwich with Water, dinner my husband, kids and close friends all went out to Carrabus for dinner. I had a filet mignon steak and mashed potatoes. Then after the kids went to bed, my husband went to get ice cream sundaes. yum! It was delicious!

My surgery time was 3pm - UGH! No food or water after midnight then wait until 1pm to get to the hospital = agony! But I made it!

Surgery was 58 minutes long! (my dr's newest record time!) lol!!!

Pain - VERY manageable. I was on Toridol and Demirol in the hospital. Toridol just took the edge off and Demirol really helped. They also gave me 2 rounds of antibiotic for preventative infection.

You DEFINITELY know something happened to you. Seriously though - I have 5 incisions. 4 are 1/2 inch long and do not bother me at all. The 1 1/2 inch incision for the port has continued to be the one that hurts, burns if you move wrong, etc.

Getting in and out of your bed is the hardest and sitting/standing for the potty is hard too - but only for a couple of days. DH helped me all the way! He has been fantastic!

I got out of recovery around 6:30pm and DH and I took a walk up the hospital hall at 11:30pm and 4am. It was ME who wanted to walk. It felt better to be standing for a little while.

I was home by 3pm the next day. Made it upstairs, one at a time, by myself.

DH helped me in the shower the next day (and shaved my legs too!).

Today is day 5 after surgery and I went for a long (slow) walk around my neighborhood while my kids (6 and 4 1/2) rode their bikes. Fresh air was nice!

I stopped all pain meds on Monday (4th day after surgery). I have plenty liquid lortab left. I stopped that at 7am on Monday morning. Then at 12:30pm I had liquid Tylenol - WOW THAT STUFF IS NASTY!!!! Cherry - yeah right! ICK! And today I haven't had any pain meds even after my long walk.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Trust me, you are freaking out WAY more than you need to be, but understandably you are freaking. It IS surgery. You will be GREAT!

I hope this helps! Take care and GOOD LUCK!!!

Bandedme