Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2012 Post Op Group

That's what I will do tomorrow is jump start again.

This is for the the ones who was very unhealthy going into to this, with the sedentary life style that the only exercise you got was

When you went grocery shopping. What exercise if any does it for you? Now not talking about you gym ppl. Cuz I am not able to go to the gym, not anytime soon. If you picked just one or 2 exercises which ones worked for you?

Nicole' date=' you look great!!!

Gen :-) 12/15/12[/quote']

Thank you! I'm really starting to like myself! Not to sound conceited or anything. I think it has finally sunk in that I'm not that big person anymore. I feel good and people tell me I look good, so I think the brain has caught up. Thanks again Gen, and you look marvelous too! Everyone does and we should be proud of our progress. :)

This is for the the ones who was very unhealthy going into to this' date=' with the sedentary life style that the only exercise you got was

When you went grocery shopping. What exercise if any does it for you? Now not talking about you gym ppl. Cuz I am not able to go to the gym, not anytime soon. If you picked just one or 2 exercises which ones worked for you?[/quote']

Start small... Walking with friends, or by yourself with a good mix on your iPod. I love hiking and have been tons of it this summer. Zumba is a blast! My mom has bad knees and has been doing Zumba Water classes at the Y. What do you like to do? I play beach volleyball, kickball, basketball when I can, and exercise at the gym when I can't play a sport. I think it is all about finding things that you love to do and then making time to do them. I realized earlier this year, after I did a 5K, that I hated running, but love sports. It was a big ah-ha moment. I run at be gym only when I can't get outside and do things I love. Find ways to get active. Take stairs instead of elevator, park far away from grocery store... Anything to get moving when help! good luck!

Janice, walking is a very good place to start. No gym required. :-)

Nicole or anyone: I'm down to a size 6 pant and I kind of worry about myself. But during the stall there must have been so much shifting of weight going on cuz that is when I dropped to a 6. Well it kept shifting and I did break the stall by losing 1 pound but I'm afraid within the next month I will drop to a 4. 6's are loose around my waist and I'm wearing a belt. But all labs came back fine other than the 1 which is why I have to stay on 2 shakes a day. I eat til I'm full. So eating more isn't an option and still get liquids in. Should I be worried at 139 and wearing 6 about ready to drop to 4. I have an aunt that went thru this surgery. Was about my size to start, and is quite skinny. In high school I weighed 115, wore a size 3, juniors. I did express my concerns to my nutritionist but she didn't seem worried. Just told me I'm right on track.

Gen :-) 12/15/12

Thanks i do walk, not alot tho but plan on it, we dont have elevators around here. I do dance around my house with my ipod blaring.

Thanks for the great tips yall, i knew i could count on you

This is for the the ones who was very unhealthy going into to this, with the sedentary life style that the only exercise you got was

When you went grocery shopping. What exercise if any does it for you? Now not talking about you gym ppl. Cuz I am not able to go to the gym, not anytime soon. If you picked just one or 2 exercises which ones worked for you?

I'm still pretty anemic (kidney disease does that) so every other week or so it seems I'm just devoid of energy. But on those days when I do have energy I go walking. The time and distance varies based on my energy level but I make sure I get it in there. If I'm not able to walk I fill two tall Water bottles up with water and lift them like dumb bells. If the weather isn't right for walking I youtube some walking videos and do them indoors. Leslie Sansone has some great ones! This is the one I started out doing. www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgB_cqDiXs The first mile is at a slower pace and the second mile is faster. I started off just doing the first and moved on to the second mile as my energy bounded and the weight came off. Oh! I also try to do leg lifts while I'm laying down, watching tv, etc. Sometimes after walking I feel like a Barbie that's had her legs ripped off and stuck back on again so I make sure I stretch real good when I'm having down time.

I hope this helps! We're all rooting for you!!

Pilates are wonderful too. I have Mari Winsors Pilates and LOVE them. It is a stretching mostly but boy can you feel it. I love them.

Janice' date=' walking is a very good place to start. No gym required. :-)

Nicole or anyone: I'm down to a size 6 pant and I kind of worry about myself. But during the stall there must have been so much shifting of weight going on cuz that is when I dropped to a 6. Well it kept shifting and I did break the stall by losing 1 pound but I'm afraid within the next month I will drop to a 4. 6's are loose around my waist and I'm wearing a belt. But all labs came back fine other than the 1 which is why I have to stay on 2 shakes a day. I eat til I'm full. So eating more isn't an option and still get liquids in. Should I be worried at 139 and wearing 6 about ready to drop to 4. I have an aunt that went thru this surgery. Was about my size to start, and is quite skinny. In high school I weighed 115, wore a size 3, juniors. I did express my concerns to my nutritionist but she didn't seem worried. Just told me I'm right on track.

Gen :-) 12/15/12[/quote']

Since most bypass patients regain some weight, I wouldn't worry. Probably end up right where you want to be.

I think mostly i am so scared of fainting or hurting my self. I know i am alot older then most of you. But on the inside or maybe my brain i feel your age. Lol my husband is very obese and being with him for 14 yrs i have taken on some of his traits of being a procrastinator. I fight it every day. I am going to do the walking and dancing to get my energy going. My MD has to fix the diabetes meds. Because i am having alot of sugar lows and its not a good feeling at all. But will get it all figured out soon.

I think mostly i am so scared of fainting or hurting my self. I know i am alot older then most of you. But on the inside or maybe my brain i feel your age. Lol my husband is very obese and being with him for 14 yrs i have taken on some of his traits of being a procrastinator. I fight it every day. I am going to do the walking and dancing to get my energy going. My MD has to fix the diabetes meds. Because i am having alot of sugar lows and its not a good feeling at all. But will get it all figured out soon.

You can do it Janice. Good luck. As always we are here for you.

That means alot to me. Yall are all i have. And i am so proud of all of you. Great group and everyone has done a good job

This is for the the ones who was very unhealthy going into to this' date=' with the sedentary life style that the only exercise you got was

When you went grocery shopping. What exercise if any does it for you? Now not talking about you gym ppl. Cuz I am not able to go to the gym, not anytime soon. If you picked just one or 2 exercises which ones worked for you?[/quote']

I love to ride my bicycle, mostly at night. I can easily ride 6-7 miles. I had upped my exercise and was half jogging half running for about 20-30 minutes, and started incorporating squats when I began having issues with my knees. Now I can hardly walk up and down my stairs-I take them one at a time. My treadmill is slowly collecting dust. I barely get in more than a mile walking, (and its certainly not as fast paced as I was when I was doing 3 miles, even my teenagers would tell me to slow down). But I still try at least 1 mile a day, and ride my bike about 5 x's a week. It's cooler at night, my hubby and I go together and sometimes my youngest daughter too. By riding the bike I put less pressure on my right knee, mostly using the left. Plus, I love that I can listen to music at the same time. :)

I love to ride my bicycle' date=' mostly at night. I can easily ride 6-7 miles. I had upped my exercise and was half jogging half running for about 20-30 minutes, and started incorporating squats when I began having issues with my knees. Now I can hardly walk up and down my stairs-I take them one at a time. My treadmill is slowly collecting dust. I barely get in more than a mile walking, (and its certainly not as fast paced as I was when I was doing 3 miles, even my teenagers would tell me to slow down). But I still try at least 1 mile a day, and ride my bike about 5 x's a week. It's cooler at night, my hubby and I go together and sometimes my youngest daughter too. By riding the bike I put less pressure on my right knee, mostly using the left. Plus, I love that I can listen to music at the same time. :)[/quote']

I have been thinking about getting a bicycle and still will , I just ordered me some resistance bands. To help with muscles too, I have bad knees too. But I always seem to push myself through it and hope I don't hurt later. I did dancing around my house today my dog loves it cuz he thinks I am singing to him lol but I am going to get back on track I promise.

I have been thinking about getting a bicycle and still will ' date=' I just ordered me some resistance bands. To help with muscles too, I have bad knees too. But I always seem to push myself through it and hope I don't hurt later. I did dancing around my house today my dog loves it cuz he thinks I am singing to him lol but I am going to get back on track I promise.[/quote']

That is so cute! Dancing is great exercise, a lot of fun, and music is good for the soul! Riding my bike feels like freedom, I feel light. Walmart has a good selection of inexpensive bikes under $100. But maybe you can borrow one from someone to try it out 1st before making the investment. Its why I don't have a gym membership, I don't really enjoy going and always procrastinate. I know if I enjoy something I'll be more prone to do it. You have the desire, you'll drive yourself to do it. Just remember where you started and keep thinking about where you want to be, soon you'll find a way to get there. There's nothing wrong with slow and steady, in fact I have to remind myself of that often. I'm only down 55lbs (since surgery 1/10/13) but I've hit 2 goals. One was to be under 200, the other to be at 185. I finally hit that mark today. I had a couple small gains and a 1 month stall, but now I'm the size I was in high school 21yrs ago, wearing a 12-14 in jeans and a med-large in shirts. Next goal is 165.

We got this! Together we'll get there. ;)

Wow gratz on getting to those goals. I must have been the heaviest in the group. Most all of you are in the 100s now i still have 40 lbs to go. When i read all of yours progress i wonder if i am doing it. But when i put on my old clothes i know i have lost alot. I do wear size 22 and or 2X pants, jeggings. I used to be 28 and 4 or 5 X . Also shirts where 4 or 5 X or 28. Now down to 2 X

I dont like anything tight on me because i do have a rolely tummy. Lol last to lose from.

I havent given up thats for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement