Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Re-Op Appt

Hi I am 5'5" 230lbs I started my weightloss journey with a lap band in 2008 successfully losing 50 lbs the first year. Not all without bumps in the road.

2009 I had a new band put in due to a leak. Appearently this developed scar tissue from both surgeries. This happens to some not all lap banders.

Call me challenged. I met with my wonderful surgeon this afternoon and he answered all of my concerns and questions regarding removal and conversions.

My biggest fear Vitamin and Iron deficiencies which he explained how and why people have these issues. Sooooo I will be scheduled for a removal of band wait and see or removal of band and bypass all in one conversion. My choice of course....I am looking forward to talking with all or some of you on this blog....

More later.....

Good luck with your surgery !

Good luck with your surgery !

Thank you I am excited and a bit nervous:-)

Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I hear a lot of people switching from band to bypass. I had the surgery 7/24/12 and have lost a total of 47 pounds. I highly recommend rny. I am currently at a stall, but wouldn't change it for the world. I am never hungry which makes it easier to stick to the new way of life. I find myself not even wanting the unhealthy food choices I would have picked before. The biggest challenge is for me right now is the stall I am in, but patience is the key. I know if I stick to the program the weight will come off in the end. Good luck on whichever surgery you choose! This is an excellent resource.

I should clarify. I just had the rny surgery not the band to bypass.

I should clarify. I just had the rny surgery not the band to bypass.

How are you doing so far?

So far so good. I feel much more in control over what I am eating. Mostly since I am no longer hungry. You just have to fight the head hunger, which seems easier after the surgery. My only bump is that right now I am stalled which is frustrating. But I just have to remind myself that I have to be patient. As long as I stay within the guidelines, the weight will come off. You just have to give your body time to adjust. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to do my best at answering them. I am a little suprised no one else has jumped in to give their 2 cents. Also there are forums specific to the band to bypass conversion. You could check those out as well.

So far so good. I feel much more in control over what I am eating. Mostly since I am no longer hungry. You just have to fight the head hunger' date=' which seems easier after the surgery. My only bump is that right now I am stalled which is frustrating. But I just have to remind myself that I have to be patient. As long as I stay within the guidelines, the weight will come off. You just have to give your body time to adjust. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to do my best at answering them. I am a little suprised no one else has jumped in to give their 2 cents. Also there are forums specific to the band to bypass conversion. You could check those out as well.[/quote']

I am looking forward to not being hungry that's a bonus. I have a double whammy going on menopause and hypothyroid. I am hoping my conversion goes easy because of the scar tissue from the band.

My surgeon is a great guy he is conservative when it comes to the malabsorption portion of the procedure. Thank yes I have read some forums on the band to bypass.

Thank you for your encouragement and support it's very much appreciated. You will come out of your stall, hang tough.

Ps when was your surgery?

My surgery was 7/24/12. You said your Dr is conservative when it comes to the malabsorption. how so? Just curious

My surgery was 7/24/12. You said your Dr is conservative when it comes to the malabsorption. how so? Just curious

DIfferent surgeons use lengths of the intestine which changes the malabsorption. Some MD's use a silastic ring during bypass some don't.

Welcome!

Im nearly three week post op - removal of band ( from 2004) conversion to gastric bypass plus there threw in the removal of my gall bladder as a surprise gift! Lol. Im feeling very good - the whole op took just over 2 and a half hours

everything is going down with ease. I have to drink alot of Water aday, and sometimes forget to do so!

Eating feels different now.. Im learning what the feeling of full means.. And when to stop before i get too full. No more feeling of that horrible " stuck" feeling the band gave. No more standing up to eat, no more vomiting no more feeling of drowning in my own saliva! Its great

Good luck!!

Welcome!

Im nearly three week post op - removal of band ( from 2004) conversion to gastric obypass plus there threw in the removal of my gall bladder as a surprise gift! Lol. Im feeling very good - the whole op took just over 2 and a half hours

everything is going down with ease. I have to drink alot of Water aday' date=' and sometimes forget to do so!

Eating feels different now.. Im learning what the feeling of full means.. And when to stop before i get too full. No more feeling of that horrible " stuck" feeling the band gave. No more standing up to eat, no more vomiting no more feeling of drowning in my own saliva! Its great

Good luck!![/quote']

Congratulations I hope I have the outcome as you. I told my surgeon if he sees anything like a hernia or ? To fix it then. I hear some MD's take gallbladders out so they don't have to later....

My surgeon removed it due to the fact that i had a " gall stone attack" a week before the surgery and when he open me up he saw enough stones to " make up a rock garden״ ... If ihe didnt do now i would have been prone to infection and would have had to remove it anyway in a month or so

I dont feel anything different apart from i defiantly not " holding" Water like before the op! My feet look normal not all puffy .. Not sure if this is due to lack of gall bladder/ stones/ sludge ...

My surgeon removed it due to the fact that i had a " gall stone attack" a week before the surgery and when he open me up he saw enough stones to " make up a rock garden״ ... If ihe didnt do now i would have been prone to infection and would have had to remove it anyway in a month or so

I dont feel anything different apart from i defiantly not " holding" Water like before the op! My feet look normal not all puffy .. Not sure if this is due to lack of gall bladder/ stones/ sludge ...

Congrats sounds like you have made it to the other side now after all the drama.....So how are you doing 3 weeks after op? How much weight have you lost since?