Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Breaking Point?

What triggered you to finally attend a seminar or call the doctor about wls? I've thought about it for years but never acted. I was in a meeting for work and they passed a article put being fat and why your are. I was new in my job and realized, again, I was the largest woman in the room and most obese person. I then realized I just could not do it on my own. I really did need help. Plus I turned 40 this year and vowed not to live the second half of my life like this and embarrassed everytime I get on a plane. Thoughts?!

I've struggled with my weight all my life. I turned 40 and was still overweight after saying I didn't want to be overweight when I hit 40. Finally had enough with high blood pressure meds and getting even bigger but so afraid of re-routing my organs. I remember seeing the commercials for it and I kept saying if there were something less evasive I would go for it...then saw an add for lapband. I went for it just before my 42 birthday. Well 6 years and a revision to a bigger band, a really bad prolaps and emergency surgery to take the band out...I was done and figured I was going to be overweight but, at least feel good. Well the big 50 is around the corner, the weight started coming back on again because the band was gone and I finally said....I just need to do this. The medical world has gained 6 more years of experience performing the RNY surgery and taking care of patients and it's become so much safer - I'M GOING FOR IT! I need help to help me stick to eating right and getting healthier. So......I want to be healthier for my 50th birthday! Started the process back up last year with the same surgeon that did my lapband but, discovered that was part of the problem...he didn't listen to me. So after going through hoops and being left on my own with them, I changed bariatric centers and started again. TOTALLY different experience and I couldn't be happier with my surgeon and the bariatric center she works in. I'm down over 40 pounds - it's coming off slow but, I know that's how my body works but, at least it's coming off and coming off healthily because I'm following the rules. The best part is I'm no longer gaining so to me that's worth it all!

Great thread!

I've always been the big girl in school, biggest out of my friends, dated guys who love big and full size etc. So I was happy in my skin. When I got married and got pregnant with our honeymoon baby I thought ok I'm going to gain.... And I did. After having her I said I would never be "that"big again... But I did. I got there again (not pregnant) and higher! :( I could not go anywhere without sweating (gross) and with a now 2 yr old keeping up was hard. My Dr had always suggested it but I was in total denial- so I went through all the classes thinking I'll learn how to lose and be okay... Well after all classes I decided i needed more help! Sat down with the hubby and we decided its best for me and my family. And its been the best thing. I can't wait to be out of the 300's and will never see 389 again!

I used to be the person who thought wls surgery was the easy way out, well im eating my words because its not! It has not been easy even making the decision!

Surgery 7/25/12

I have wanted WLS for years now but could never afford it. I have been at same weight 285 for over 10 years now. I was told my whole childhood how fat I was. When I was senior in high school I weighed 173 and then got pregnant and 3 kids later boom!!! Well finally in March I had started a new job and one of my Co workers was in the process of her 6 month process and I was talking to her at lunch and found out her husband works for same company my husband does and that our insurance covers the surgery. I was so happy and excited I started crying because of wanting this for years now. I immediately clocked out and went home and called the weight loss center and was at the seminar the next morning

I have wanted WLS for years now but could never afford it. I have been at same weight 285 for over 10 years now. I was told my whole childhood how fat I was. When I was senior in high school I weighed 173 and then got pregnant and 3 kids later boom!!! Well finally in March I had started a new job and one of my Co workers was in the process of her 6 month process and I was talking to her at lunch and found out her husband works for same company my husband does and that our insurance covers the surgery. I was so happy and excited I started crying because of wanting this for years now. I immediately clocked out and went home and called the weight loss center and was at the seminar the next morning

I'm happy for you. I know the feeling I struggled with my weight my whole life! After havin 3kds I blew up. I'm 221 and 5'1". I thought about this surgery for a few years but I always convinced myself I could Lose the wight in my own, lost 10 and gained 20 ! I met with my surgeon already .".. Problem is my husband is against t

T his and is no support at all!!!!!!my dad is too!

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

My husband attended the seminar with me. The rest of my family is all for me having the surgery. I come from a family full of vanities and if you don't weigh a certain amount your kind of shunned. My Grandpa is the worst saying if I get any bigger they will have to take me to farmers market and weigh me on the livestock scales

After having my 3rd & final child. Tubes tight. I decided I want to be skinny again. Yes I wasn't fat until I had kids. I decided I didn't want to continue being fat so I told the doctor I wanted to have WLS. He agree with me & wala 3 months now I'm finally getting slim.

I had to see a surgeon for an abcess under my arm, and he asked me if i had considered wLS. I knew i had to do something about my weight, but i hadnt considered something so drastic. He explained it all to me and was great. I attended a seminar, and just knew this was the right decision for me.

I went on family vacation to disney, when we came back i developed pics and i was shocked at how big i was in pic, i cannot believe i let myself get that big...... It triggered weightloss thoughts, i went to weight watchers loss 25lbs.... But realized i needed more help and ressearched gastric bypass...... And here i am surgery is scheduled for oct 3.... Yay

For me it was when I could not adequately clean personal areas in the shower. Once I hit that I was done and had my surgery about a month later. My weight gain has been due to medication so my approval was quick and easy!

For me my sugar was getting worse I was heavy at my pcp office he had suggested wls because I drive a truck can't have insulin so I told him I would consider it called and went to a seminar in nov of 2011 my high weight was 301 in recent yrs 330 many yrs ago fast forward 9 mos aug 22nd had my surgery gastric bypass Rny 269 day of surgery today I'm 234 well on my way never been happier

My breaking point was after I had my last daughter

I could barely walk my knees were so bad

My weight was off the hook at 405

I know I needed help and called my doctor

Thank GOD

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

Mine was a combination of things many of what has been mentioned here. Personal hygiene is becoming difficult, my knees are extremely arthritic and I've had a lot of breathing issues lately. I've thought of bariatric surgery for years but now seems the right time. God keeps holding the doors open and everything is falling nicely into place. I know it's going to be hard work I know this is the tool that is finally going to give me hope!!

I never struggled with weight until I started having children. After the first 3, I was able to get my weight off but since I have had my 4th ( who is now 18 months old) I have just kept gaining. I have tried everything I have done in the past to lose it but it goes nowhere. I am so very unhappy with myself and I don't want to live that way anymore. I started out at 254, am now down to 237 and my surgery is in a week! I can't wait for this adventure!!

All yours stories sound all to familar. I have always been a bigger girl but until I had my first son at 17 I never went over 170, I ballooned up to 240 and eventually lost the weight through starving myself. Started nurses training and got back up to 230 and had another child which made me go up to 270 and I have stayed there. I look back and can't believe I have been severely obese for almost 10 years. sleeping all the time being depressed to where I can't even work, never spending the quality time I needed to with my kids. Watching my life pass by. I had lap band a year and a half ago but it didn't work, it wasn't the right tool for me and I knew it but the RNY was to major of a surgery. Then I came to realize I NEEDED the RNY if I was ever going to be the person I wanted to be. I am a week post op today an have changed so much already I can't wait to see what the future holds.