Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 24 and working on the process to have WLAN done. What kind of results are people in their 20's having ? Has anyone had problems with extra skin ect? New to this sorry, and help is great.

I'm 27 and had gastric bypass 2 and a half weeks ago. I've lost 17 lbs so far. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of loose skin bc I'm younger than a lot of people who have the surgery. I also like to workout which helps I've heard. Good luck on your journey!

I'm pre-op, 27, and plan to have bypass surgery in December/january. My sister just had the vertical sleeve done, just turned 21, and has lost 40 lbs in 4 weeks. She works out like CRAZY so I don't think extra skin will be an issue for her if she keeps that up. I think exercise is key.

There are lots of factors

But because you guys are young your skin has more elasticity

So you probably won't have a lot of excess skin

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

Young & how much weight you were before surgery. My arms are starting to sag but nothing surgery can't fix.

I'm pre-op' date=' 27, and plan to have bypass surgery in December/january. My sister just had the vertical sleeve done, just turned 21, and has lost 40 lbs in 4 weeks. She works out like CRAZY so I don't think extra skin will be an issue for her if she keeps that up. I think exercise is key.[/quote']

Keep me updated on Ur sisters skin issues lol Bc I'm 21 also very anxious to know my surg is in oct

Keep me updated on Ur sisters skin issues lol Bc I'm 21 also very anxious to know my surg is in oct

Sure, I'll keep you updated! So far she looks great!

I am 27 and just over 6 months out and 126lbs down and yes extra skin is a problem for me or will be. Because I have lost the weight so quick. I work out 5 times a week and it helps my fitness levels but not so much my skin. One good thing is it doesn't seem to effect my face or neck I can only notice it on my arms legs and belly.

It doesn't really bother me at the moment but I know I will have to have something done about it in a year or so.

I'm 26, had surgery 13 days ago, down 13lbs and I can already feel my skin getting loose especially in my belly area. Keep in mind I have had 2 kids already and they were both c-sections. I see excess skin being an issue for me. I hope working out makes it a little better at least...

Surgiversary 8/27/12 @ 255lbs (Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk)

Only my arm is saggy. I had 3 sections & my stomach isn't sagging yet.

I posted about this in another post, there are lots of factors that = saggy skin, age, how fast you lose the weight. Working out is great and you will lose the fat but fat and skin are two different things. Skin is your largest organ and well fat is fat. It also depends on how big you were for how long. Once you stretch your skin so far to the point of no return it does not matter how young you are you are giong to sag. The slower you loose the better because your skin will have time go back it you were not very large, keep hydrated and keep your skin well lotioned, that helps but it will not prevent saggy skin.

I posted about this in another post, there are lots of factors that = saggy skin, age, how fast you lose the weight. Working out is great and you will lose the fat but fat and skin are two different things. Skin is your largest organ and well fat is fat. It also depends on how big you were for how long. Once you stretch your skin so far to the point of no return it does not matter how young you are you are giong to sag. The slower you loose the better because your skin will have time go back it you were not very large, keep hydrated and keep your skin well lotioned, that helps but it will not prevent saggy skin.

^Thank you. I knew this was going to happen to me but it is good to see it in black and white. I have been overweight since middle school and it just kept getting worse. I know I will have skin issues and I am 27 yrs old also

I'm not sure we can do anything about it- my doctor told me there is simply not a way to predict whether you'll have excess skin or not. Being younger is a factor, but not a rule, if that makes sense. Same with the amount of time being overweight and how much weight you have to lose (your BMI is a better indicator bc it takes height into account).

How fast you lose isn't going to matter, my doc says.

Lotion can make your skin less dry, which might make it look better but it can't add elasticity. And exercise is helpful for excess skin only if you build muscle to fill some of the empty skin.

We've done some big damage to our bodies. We can't expect them to respond perfectly, just like we can't expect ourselves to be perfect :) And imperfection is okay.

I was disappointed to learn about excess skin as well, but I think, in the end, I'll be happier if I learn to accept my very human flaws, not eliminate them.