Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on which surgery to have . Between sleeve and. Bypass

If you haven't read the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" by Marina Kurian, it is a great reference book and goes over bypass and sleeve surgeries. I would highly recommend this book!! Each surgery will have there pros and cons. I choose the bypass because many friends went that route and had great success and my surgeon had an excellent record for performing the procedure. You may want to research the surgeon that would perform the procedure and find out how many bypasses vs sleeves are performed at their facility and ask for a record of complications for each surgery. Good luck with your choice.

PS: you can get an e-book version of "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" on the Kindle or on the Kindle app for iPhone or Android phones also.

You are right! The book is excellent. My BF had bypass and had great success. I was always considering the band because I am scared to death but the whole port thing is not my deal. Also I need the scare of dumping. Sugar is a big weakness for me. I know over time it will be self control but a year or so of that risk will help me get it out of my system. Good luck

i went to the seminar thinking i wanted the lapband but after sitting thru it realized the bypas was better for me with my health problems diabetes hbp and cholesterol so thats how i made my decision good luck which ever way you decide .

I originally wanted the sleeve (because you only need a small portion of the medication and supplements and I felt it was less unnatural) but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I'm happy that I got the bypass though, because it has a much higher success rate and I needed the most drastic surgery to be successful

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgiversary: 6/11/12

From friends that have had WLS those with bypass were much more successful. And I didn't want to go through all the emotional ordeals of not being successful. I would be hard on myself and ashamed. Having consequences for not following the rules (dumping) was attractive to me too. Supplementing is a small price to pay for being a normal weight again. Go big or go home:)

I researched the band in 2006, but never followed through with it after my first consult, which I'm glad. I then wanted the sleeve. My younger sister was in the process of doing pre-op testing for the sleeve, so we researched it together. I wanted the sleeve because It seemed less serious than the bypass and I liked the fact that there was less malabsorption issues. My friend in college also got the sleeve and lost over 100 and told me it was the greatest thing she ever did. My sister is two weeks post-op from the sleeve and loves it BUT....

1) Found out my insurance won't cover any weight loss procedure except gastric bypass

2) Found out most people who get the sleeve end up NOT losing as much weight as they hoped for

3) I figured if I'm going to have a weight loss surgery, I want the BEST one out there with the best long term results, etc.

Now After much research, I wouldn't have any other procedure done besides bypass :)

I agree with Christopher the Dummies book is great! It was recommended to me by my bariatric group and I can understand why. Very informative!

I chose the gastric bypass because I had already had the lapband for 4 years. I had complications from the lapband until if finally came out in 2010. After that I knew it was the gastric bypass for me because I didn't want to fail "again" even though the lapband issue wasn't my fault. I was very successful with the band for the first 14 months then I had issues. The issues lead to unfills that lead to weightgain. Had the band revised in 2008 and then never had it adjusted correctly again. For the next two years I suffered with overfills, unfills etc until it finally prolapsed and had to come out. So far so good with the bypass - I"m 3-3.5 weeks post op.