Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who is your doctor? What hospital are/have you used?

I have to say I have been very impressed with Baptist Hospital in Penscola on their pre-op care and thoroughness. I was originally banded at Palmyra Hopsital in Albany GA. Preop was showing up for the surgery and bathing with dial soap. I didn't meet or talk with anyone - just showed up. I was so excited about the surgery at the time it didn't seem odd to me.

Monday I went to Baptist to meet with pretty much my surgery team and doctor (John David Nye). Not only did I make all my appointments on or before time - they didn't rush me or make me feel like a number. Here was my pre-op day:

10:00 a.m. - Radiology. They did my ultra-sound on my liver, stomach, abdominal area - I got there early (about 9:30) and I was done by 10:00

12:30 p.m. - Registration, Anesthesia, Bloodwork, Radiology and EKG. I ended up early for my registration appointment (after getting to finally eat - nothing to eat after midnight). They got me registered in 10 minutes and sent me talk to the Anesthesiologist. I ended up talking to a nurse - who measured my legs for my support hose and explained in detail what would be happening the day of surgery and gave me Aplicare, Ahtiseptic Solution to bath with the night before and day of surgery. From there they drew my blood for bloodwork and performed the EKG. Afterward the girl that did my bloodwork and EKG took me down to radiology. I waited about 20 minutes (due to a gentleman before me that had a lot of xrays to do). I put on a lovely hospital gown and robe (which was too small) and they did my chest x-rays. by 1:30 I was done.

2:30 p.m. - Met with my doctor. I ended up heading to him early as everything went smoothly. We discussed the surgery, he marked the incisions he would be making and checked my port. His nurse came in (which is also his wife) and we discussed the surgery as well. He told me all in all with the removal and revision he should be done in less than an hour. We discussed my liquid diet and Vitamin as well as after care and what I would be doing in the weeks post-surgery. What to expect as well as my follow-up appointments.

3:30 p.m. - me and another RNY patient met with the nutritionist (along with our spouces). I was expecting to meet with just the nutritionist, but I also spoke to the Bariatric Coordinator (which also had RNY), she went over the surgery again and then we met with the nutritioninst. We were done at 5:00.

My surgery will be at 7:30 a.m. on August 1st. I have to be there two hours in advance. I have a 48 hour liquid diet my doctor has place me on prior to surgery. I'm also taking potassium supplements (my bloodwork came back showing I had a deficiency).

What was your experience? Any positives or Negatives? I know all doctors and hospitals are different - just wondering if anyone had a different experience than I. I think the more prepared we are, the better off we are...

I was banded by David Voellinger in Charlotte, NC and he will be doing my revision. I have been very satisfied with the care that I have received from him and his staff. He even me met at the office and unfilled me on a Sunday because my band was too tight. I don't know very many doctors that are willing to do that. I had my surgery at Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy and everything went according to plan.

I had my lapband surgery by Daniel Jones MD at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA. I'll be having him do the revision to RNY or one of the other two surgeons in the group. I'm confident in all of them and the care that hospital gives.

I just realized I didn't reply after surgery...

I still absolutely love my revision doctor, John Nye. He is a very thorough doctor. I've had some complications recovering though, but no way to I blame him for the BS I went through...

I loved Baptist Hospital the day of surgery and through the first night. However, after the nurse left I may as well been at home and had my husband see about me. The drain in my chest (hooked to a pump) was only about 1/8 full when we left. I don't then after the first night that they turned it back on...nor my IV machine...it constantly beeped. They would unhook me to walk or to to the bathroom and then "poof" disappear. Shawn (hubby) finally asked them to show him how to turn the machine beeps off, hook back up my leg pumps...everything...

The reason I believe the drain wasn't working (or turned off), is my best friend just had revision surgery (same hospital) and she had 3x the amount of drainage I did. She is two weeks post op and all her incisions and drain areas have closed.

Mine finally closed three weeks ago. It took two months to heal...Nye says I had a reaction to the sutures (my incision kept coming open - he didn't stitch me closed for a month due to drainage)...so it took two months for me to "naturally" drain and dry up enough to heal and close. It sucked! It hurt! At my two month check up he had to "burn" the drain area (right below my sternum) - set me on fire. It f'ing hurt...bad...couldn't sleep for over a month...

So that is the bad...and probably one of the worse things that can happen when it comes to recovery. Honestly, I blame the inept nurses that kept forgetting or neglecting me.

Oucy Leslie....glad to hear it's finally over for you. Other than that...has everything else gone smoothly?

Dr. Andrew Dewitt, Princeton hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. He's a wonderful surgeon. I chose him for a few reasons:

1. I met other people he'd performed surgeries on. RNY and other stomach surgeries.

2. I'd spoken with people that he had done revisions on and they had great things to say about him.

3. Many friends and family members that work in medicine and local hospitals said they'd choose him for themselves or a loved one.

4. I just liked him and felt at ease with him.

5. I liked his staff.

I'm switching doctors because my insurance changed in the middle of the process. LUcky me! Anyway, I'm starting the process all over again this time going through the Wellness and weightloss center at Signature HealthCare in Brockton, MA. If all goes well I'll be having my surgery at Tufts Medical Center in Boston and the follow-up stuff in Brockton. FIrst meeting is March 12!

I had mine at Emerson hospital in concord ma 15 months ago with dr roy Chen every thing went great wish I had done it sooner .the only problem I have now is I have 30 more pounds to go and I'm stuck it wont move either way

Hello everyone I just wanted to add that I had my RNY surgery on 3.26.12 with Dr. Robert J. Chastanet at Chesapeake Regional in Chesapeake VA. My recovery thus far has been soooooo much better than I had expected! Thus far, the only real complaint I have is man do the meds taste awful but it's a small price to pay considering the end result right :D

Mtjoy congrats on your surgery and sounds like your recovery is going well :) Can't wait to get to the losing side.

Mtjoy congrats on your surgery and sounds like your recovery is going well :) Can't wait to get to the losing side.

Thanks I'm super excited too I just went to my one week post op appt and lost some more wooooo hooo now I can't wait until he cuts me loose in three weeks so I can't get my bum into the gym and really watch it fly off lol :D

I'm now waiting for approval but, my surgeon will be Deborah Abeles at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, MA. Their Weight and Wellness Center crew has been fantastic and very informative. Come on approval!

I had my gastric bypass at Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston by Dr Schneider. Excellent team. Thorough preop evaluation process. They are on Patientsite which is a secured health care site. You can email the team if you have questions or problems. I developed lactose intolerance after surgery. The nutritionist got back to me with a solution and I felt better within a day. I can't wait til my 1 year appointment in a couple of weeks. 117 lbs gone and still losing.

I'll add my two cents to the Boston crew. Mass. General here. It'll be five years in September. My surgeon was Charles Ferguson, who is retired now, but anyone there is top notch. People come from all over to get surgery there. They have a complete Weight Surgery Center, and a lot of the research on obesity and WLS comes from there and the other Boston centers.