Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach H. pylori bacteria

I was also tested for this before surgery. I though that was part of all the normal pre-op testing?

Apparently it SHOULD be!

I dont think Bariatrics did this test, I was informed. After pathology analyzed my removed stomach :-(

I was also tested b4 surgery as well but my surgeon said nothing showed up on my preop testing they found it when they went in to the stomache for the surgery

Not wanting to add to the controversy, although the view on overuse of anti-biotics is absolutely valid; In light of the subject having had bariatric surgery, there are pretty compelling reasons as to why the H Pylori infection should be eliminated with antibiotics. This information has just been obtained from the Medical Library of a very well respected University that I have online access to:

Reasons to treat H Pylori:

Source: Marshall, B. J., Windsor, H. M. and Kimura, K. (2010) Helicobacter pylori, in Practical Gastroenterology and Hepatology (eds N. J. Talley, K. R. DeVault and D. E. Fleischer), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444327311.ch44

Table 44.2 Non

- gastric conditions associated with H. pylori.

Studies/reports

Diseases

Substantial evidence

from several studies

Iron defi ciency

Proven association; possible clinical relevance when nutrition

poor [33]

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)

Several reports but prospective data are weak

[33]

Atherosclerotic heart disease

Correlation between

H. pylori infection and atherosclerosis and

cerebral infarction reported

[33]

Chronic urticaria

Systematic review concluded that bacterial eradication correlated

with remission

[34]

Several anecdotal reports

and small clinical series

Hepatic encephalopathy (HE) in cirrhotic

patients

HE was more frequently observed in patients with

H. pylori

infection than those without [35]

Bronchiectasis

High incidence of

H. pylori seropositivity was reported in the

patients [36]

Alzheimer disease

Correlation was reported

[33]

Guillain

– Barr é syndrome High H. pylori prevalence was reported among the patients

[33]

Isolated anecdotal

reports

Ocular rosacea

Improvement after eradication was reported

[37]

Blepharitis

High H. pylori prevalence was reported among the patients

[38]

Type B insulin resistant diabetes mellitus

A case report

[39]

Acute anterior uveitis and

spondyloarthropathies

Relationship with these diseases was reported

[40]

My primary doctor and bariatric surgeon have a talk and call me to said that I must finish the 14 day antibiotics treatment and deal with the side effects , seek emergency if I get stomach pain..so After reading This information I think I should listen .., thank you all!

I was also tested b4 surgery as well but my surgeon said nothing showed up on my preop testing they found it when they went in to the stomache for the surgery

Thank you for this. I thought was once your test came back negative you were in the clear...now I know different.

My stomach was sampled and tested for H Pylori during my EGD as part of my pre-op work up. I was so worried the test would come back positive and my surgery would be delayed that I ate Black Sesame for several days before my test. Not sure if it was necessary or did anything, but my test results were clear. :)

Now I'm worried. When one of these topics came up a couple of weeks ago, I looked into it and very well could have it. THEN, the post above associated Iron deciciency with H. Pylori. Well, I am on prescription Iron and take 3 a day and am still low. I did some further researching and found study on the NIH.org website that confirmed the study above and linked iron deciency with H. pylori. Further articles discuss the tiredness and fatigue of iron deficiency. I kept telling my doc that I'm still tired on B12 shots and 3 iron a day. She said to have sleep study because I should not be tired. However, I have NO symptoms of sleep issues at all. So in my reading it discussed how general doctors don't usually associate fatigue with intestinal issues. Well, I have had physical intestinal issues for over a year, especially after my gallbladder was removed.

Also, last night I was researching hair loss because I am PRE-sleeve and my hair is noticeably thinning since the last year at least. I have/had thick hair but now you can see my scalp in the front. In looking up reasons for Hair loss, I also came up with iron deficiency!

So, I was already worried about the hair loss after surgery but I'm having it now, 2 months BEFORE surgery!

The bad thing is, my hubby got a new job and our new insurance doesn't kick in for another month, November 1. So, I have to wait another month to get tested and then do treatment and get an iron infusion and hope my hair starts growing again in time for it to start falling out after the surgery!

I cut my hair really short in anticipation of the surgery and thinking it was so long, it was heavy. My hair is usually wavy/curly. However, I cut it and it didn't poof up like I thought it would (to cover the thinning) and it isn't even curling like it is supposed to. Yesterday's shower, gobs of hair.

So not happy I have to wait a month. A bit frustrating (although from what I read, normal) that my doc couldn't link the two a while back!

Just venting....

H Pylori is either symptomatic or more commonly a-symptomatic. Half the world has it, but don't know it. The only reason I was picked up, was because I was one of the unfortunate few who was symptomatic.. and let me tell you.. it aint pretty. If you're worried about it, you could drop it casually into the conversation the next meeting you have with the GP... 'I heard of people who tested positive for HPylori after the surgery and then had to ingest a whole horrid cocktail of chemicals on their damaged stomachs. Do you test for that prior to surgery? Because I don't fancy having to do the treatment afterwards...' See what they say...

That aside, try not to panic. Although there are linkages in the academic research, there is no way, given your medical history, symptoms and medications, that a doctor will overlook these factors when presented with them in consideration of your VSG. Particularly if you have an established Iron deficiency. I, too, had my gallbladder out in 2005. I recovered swimmingly from that and to be honest, if I were suffering symptoms from it, I wouldn't have known. Primarily, because my PCOS which was left undiagnosed until 2007, was royally kicking my butt both with my energy levels, hair loss on my scalp and too much growth on my body.

Hair loss can be caused by a number of things, but fundamentally and with regards to this surgery, the loss of it is largely thought to be down to the shock of the surgery and low Protein levels. Although many people on here have had sufficient Protein, hair loss has still occurred. Sadly, I think it's just one of those things we have to anticipate, try not to worry about and deal with if and when it happens.

Try not to sweat it too much at this stage. Get your eggs in order with the quack first and foremost - ideally getting a diagnosis on why it is you feel like you've been run over by a bus every day and then take it from there. Better to go into the surgery match-fit, than go in already depleted of your levels.

Best of luck for November. Let us know how you get on :) x

Thanks so much.

I wasn't too worried about the hair loss afterwards but I'm more worried now because it is already coming out. :( I absolutely will bring it up, directly. I do have testing orders from the surgeon for H. pylori so I definitely will be tested. My insurance doesn't cover the surgery so I am self pay. But I'm waiting for the insurance to kick in to cover the upper GI and EKG that I need. Due to me already having issues, I feel my PCP can order the tests based on my last year of intestinal issues and get them covered. I just hate waiting another month. It will be great (sort of) if I do have h. pylori so I can get it treated!!

I will print out the study from the NIH and bring along so hopefully she will feel compelled to agree with the Iron infusion before my surgery.

Would be awesome if intestinal issues AND fatigue went away! I don't nap at all but am just tired. Looks like November might be a busy month before the surgery in (hopefully) December.

I think you need to be praying NOT to have H Pylori. The treatment is no picnic.... How's about we aspire for a conclusive diagnosis as to why you feel so worn out all the time, get that sorted and then you're free to choose whether or not you want to be sleeved and by whom. Also, you may want to be a bit careful about waving academic research journals in front of Doctors. As I found out, they tend to get a bit 'bristly' if you go in FULLY armed! lol Go get 'em, tiger :) x

You do need a specialized Dr. I had h polarity 21 days before surgery and my Bariatric surge ant found it and treat it it within 21 days. By the time of surgery, I was fine!

Great! i hope I can get all the tests done and start treatment asap in november when my insurance kicks in!!

Wow.. I am also having an Iron deficiency and chronic urticaria that are associated to H. Pilory .. I am in shock to find out that /:(

Found out I can go to Any Lab Test and get an H. pylori test without a doctor's orderas a walk-in for $92. So glad I don't have to wait another month to get checked!