Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

btw totally off-topic but I blame the vibes in CowgirlJane's head for all the strife we're seeing on the board. Remember when she wanted some high drama threads and we had none? now a person could go pick the ones they want.

haha and i really do apreciate the entertainment!

There is a huge difference between VSG addressing blood sugar issues and VSG addressing eating disorders. There have been many documented cases of VSG eliminating the need for insulin meds in diabetes patients. But this forum is full of people with food addictions who still have those addictions post VSG. Just look at all the "when can I have macaroni and cheese again'" threads. The sad fact is the food addictions can be addressed, but not surgically.

A person's self image can be improved through plastic surgery, but yet chronic low self esteem cannot be touched on an operating table, because the problem is not in the excess fat or excess skin...the problem is in the head and heart.

I think this is a really important point.

By the time I had my VSG I was so OVER food - know what i mean? Like I had enough "treats" for a lifetime. That helped me with compliance, I didn't go through the food grieving so much but, I after I lost about the first 100-120 pounds or thereabouts I had to really really work it, like I have said before, those last pounds were wrestled to the ground one at a time. I think I faced more of the good addiction/food demons then because I had to really decide if having that latte or whatever the small indulgences were preventing me from getting to a normal BMI was worth it. More importantly it was those times of eating when I didn't really need food, but really needed comfort. Now, so far, even in stressful times, I don't turn to food. i realize that is my long term issue with maintenance, but so far so good - food doesn't make me feel "better" when what I really need is a hug.

I researched plastics a long time before signing up for the big surgery - and mine WAS huge. One of the things I did in the process was correspond with and talk on the phone to several women who had gone through plastics... most of them a few months or even more out. The thing I noticed with some of them... it was never enough. It is like for some people there is this all or nothing thinking and they get obsessive about trying for a degree of "beauty" or "perfection" that is probably not attainable, and certainly not practical. It is like getting the big problem fixed tends to make people obsess over tiny problems.

I was originally scheduled for surgery in May but postponed it due to some life stressors. I am glad I did because I spent alot of time thinking about surgery, why I was doing it, my expectations about it etc. The surgeon says a hundred times that the goal is significant improvement, not perfection. I like how the guy I am dating puts it "you already look like a million bucks, after surgery it will be a billion". What he really meant was - you are fine just the way you are, but it is understandable to want to get rid of extra skin. For me the worst was my inner thighs and the belly skin. My belly wasn't too horrible standing up, but riding a bike for example, there was belly skin on my lap. I could have lived with that, and been happy, but it was pretty severe extra skin and just felt like wearing oversized sweatpants when the real me wants to wear close fitting yoga pants...lol.

I think that having plastic surgery is a big decision and although the pain wasn't that bad, the healing time is significant and the risks are real. Don't take it lightly. More importantly, be sure you really KNOW yourself, the why you are doing it and what your expectations are. The mind change will NOT automatically come with the physical change of surgery. I think a person needs to really do some self examination on the topic.

Ask me again about it in maybe 3 months... wonder what my perspective will be then.

Right now, I am thrilled with my results, but can certainly see where it could be better... it isn't perfect but i didn't expect it to be. I take that step back and realize that I look pretty dang good on the 49 year old woman spectrum, and now the same will be true even when i am not cleverly hiding my rolls of skin. i didn't want the huge scar down the thigh so my 'small' thigh lift doesn't give me those tight thighs you see on some of the websites, but, I no longer have elephant skin wrinkles and globes of cellulite on my inner thighs. I am thrilled with the tradeoff so far.

I totally agree! I did not have plastics to look perfect. It actually drives my dr crazy that I won't let him lift my nipple so that they are symmetrical. I just want to look Normal in clothes! I look sooooo much better even with swelling. I am not getting my arms or legs done even though I could, but I can just wear shorts or board shorts to swim in.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Plastics sure has given my ego a lift, yeah, that and the rest if my body. I like being perky.

Gamergirl, your "stretch receptor" theory is actually correct and this is the mechanism by which the sleeve and bypass work long-term. Look up "water loading" which is a trick you can use before a meal or to temporarily stave off hunger. It's also why dense Protein keeps us full so long.

Is it ok, if I ask you a few questions about your Tummy Tuck?

Is your stomach numb?

How long till mine will be flat?

Have you lost the extra weight from swelling? I have about 10 lbs. right now, from swelling.

BTW, you look GREAT!!! How are you feeling?

Oh I feel great. I'm 1 month post op today. I'm down 5 pounds from surgery day and the doc said he removed 6 pounds. So sounds like I'm maintaining perfectly with no excess swelling weight. Kinda odd since I haven't been able to exercise and I've eaten everything in sight.

I don't have much swelling at all. I've been vigilant about keeping my binder on and not doing anything but walking. I'm up to 3-4 miles a day now of easy, non strenuous walking. It may or may not be helping but it's keeping me somewhat sane.

The swelling may come and go for a couple of months if not longer. Just depends on your body. The compression garments help with that. Just be patient and keep resting.

Where did u have it done I'm still a ways out and how long after hitting ur goal did u have it done

Thank for the info

Is it ok' date=' if I ask you a few questions about your Tummy Tuck? Is your stomach numb? How long till mine will be flat? Have you lost the extra weight from swelling? I have about 10 lbs. right now, from swelling. BTW, you look GREAT!!! How are you feeling?[/quote']

Oh almost forgot. I have numbness in select spots. But those spots are small.

Glad you a doing well. Bet it feels great, when you look in the mirror. Does take some getting used to the new look, though. But in a good way!

my swelling is starting to go down, I have about 6 lbs. till I'm back to pre TT weight. She says I'm extra swollen, because of bruising. Says it will be 3-4 months till swelling is gone and I'll see the final result. I'm pretty happy with it even now. Bought a clingy shirt, yesterday, tried it on with no binder or bodysuit and it looked AMAZING!! FINALLY got last drain out and, you know what?? Don't even miss it! :D Showering was soooooo much easier.

She said I could sleep in bed, just not on my stomach. Did for part of the night, but woke with an uncomfortable burning inside. Back to the couch I go!

Been wearing the binder 24/7, but it should have probably been smaller, as it was 52-60". Now I can wear my bodysuits. :lol:

I've been walking alot, not necessarily resting or taking it easy, just moving in slow mo and VERY carefully. I don't sit still well AT ALL B)

I am very glad it went well for you! Way to go!

Had my almost 8 week follow up today. Got my full release to go back to exercise. Everything is healed up wonderfully. Almost no swelling anymore unless I overdo it. The surgeon was very thrilled with the progress. So am I. This surgery was no picnic....way more challenging than VSG, but well worth it.

post-120520-0-59682600-1385073225_thumb.jpg

wow! can't even tell you had anything done! How's the scar healing?

Looking good Butter. I know you're glad you can get back to exercising again.

You look amazing Butter - I am so happy for you! Honestly, you do not look like someone that was ever morbidly obese, that must make you feel wonderful.

I agree with you that plastics are tough, but it is so nice to see you coming out the other side and returning to normal!!