Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LOW BMI Pre-OP? I have questions...

Hi All,

I have a BMI of 35 with comorbidities and am hoping to finally have surgery in Dec. I was just wondering...should I expect to lose more slowly than others, since I ony have about 70 pounds to lose? What were your experiences, timeline, etc? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Amy :)

I started off in the 37 BMI range....needed to lose 82 lbs to reach my surgeon's goal and 92 lbs to reach my personal goal. Surgery date was 2/4 and today, I am down 75lbs. Should be at my goal weight by the end of the year. So, I don't feel that it was slow. Also, I have done everything I was instructed to do with diet and exercise. Good luck!

Hoosier Girl,

I just read your vacation tips on your blog. HILARIOUS! Thanks for the laughs. I was hoping peanut M&Ms could be considered Protein. BUMMER! So seriously, did the cheese fries make you sick? (I can't eat them anyway, I have celiac, so I have to stay away from the deep friers that also fry batter) Since lactose and I don't get along very well, and wheat, barley, and rye also can't be tolerated, I wonder what the VSG will prevent me from tolerating in the future...definitely avoiding the cheese fries! :)

I was at the borderline of a BMI of 35/36 and I have done just fine losing weight. Just like everyone else. I don't eat those foods you mentioned because I eat high Protein with veggies. Sometimes I do eat a little bit of fruit to boot.. You will do just fine my dear.....Hang in there..... :P

Hoosier Girl,

I just read your vacation tips on your blog. HILARIOUS! Thanks for the laughs. I was hoping peanut M&Ms could be considered Protein. BUMMER! So seriously, did the cheese fries make you sick? (I can't eat them anyway, I have celiac, so I have to stay away from the deep friers that also fry batter) Since lactose and I don't get along very well, and wheat, barley, and rye also can't be tolerated, I wonder what the VSG will prevent me from tolerating in the future...definitely avoiding the cheese fries! :)

Cheese Fries are the DEVIL!!! Ugh - I feel sick just thinking about it! And I knew there had to be a catch with the Peanut M&M's because they weren't on the recommended foods list. Can't blame a girl for trying!!! Ha!

Other than potatoes, I am able to eat most things. Some of my pre-surgery favorites don't hold the same allure anymore. Personally, I don't think the changed tastes are sleeve related. I think my old favorites taste badly because I have been eating good food since surgery (all organics, nitrate/nitrite free, sulfate/sulfite free, no HFCS, wild caught fish). So all the "junk" isn't tasty anymore.

Example...fixed nachos for the Colts game yesterday. (Pre-sleeve, nachos were my favorite!) I stopped eating well before I was full because they just didn't taste that great.

So hopefully, your taste preferences change after surgery because you are eating healthful foods.

Absolutely. The loweru weigh the slower ull lose. I started at 174 (bmi of 29) 12 wks ago and have lost only 18 lbs. I spose I could speed up my loss by actually dieting but that's why I had wls to begin with, so I never have to diet again. I guess it'll take forever to lose the last 26 but I'm not going anywhere....

If I stayed the same and didn't lose 1 more lb, @I'm happy to have lost almost 100lbs. I wear a size 8. Id luv to bw a 4 someday, but if that never happens, I'm ok being an 8 (rather than a 22)

I started at BMI 36 I think. About 10 weeks since pre-op liquid and I've averaged 3.2 lbs a week. In a normal world that is not slow but I am unsure whether sleevers would consider it fast or slow. Me, I'm happy to be losing at whatever pace, as long as I'm losing.

cheese Fries are the DEVIL!!! Ugh - I feel sick just thinking about it! And I knew there had to be a catch with the Peanut M&M's because they weren't on the recommended foods list. Can't blame a girl for trying!!! Ha!

Other than potatoes' date=' I am able to eat most things. Some of my pre-surgery favorites don't hold the same allure anymore. Personally, I don't think the changed tastes are sleeve related. I think my old favorites taste badly because I have been eating good food since surgery (all organics, nitrate/nitrite free, sulfate/sulfite free, no HFCS, wild caught fish). So all the "junk" isn't tasty anymore.

Example...fixed nachos for the Colts game yesterday. (Pre-sleeve, nachos were my favorite!) I stopped eating well before I was full because they just didn't taste that great.

So hopefully, your taste preferences change after surgery because you are eating healthful foods.

[/quote']

Sooo good to know, that was one of my fears that I would still crave foods but not be able to eat them. I'm glad to hear that they don't temp you as much now.

It is true.. I used to love Ambrosia Devon Custard. Tried it the other day and it made me feel dirty inside. Conversely, I rarely eat fish and for the last week, I have been craving Prawns. Today, with full doctor approval, I ate prawns and they went down slowly and beautifully. I'm putting my money on the things I'm craving, being the things I need...

I started off in the 37 BMI range....needed to lose 82 lbs to reach my surgeon's goal and 92 lbs to reach my personal goal. Surgery date was 2/4 and today' date=' I am down 75lbs. Should be at my goal weight by the end of the year. So, I don't feel that it was slow. Also, I have done everything I was instructed to do with diet and exercise. Good luck![/quote']

Hoosier Girl- I'm a Hoosier Girl myself :)

Was ur surgery @ StV's r StFr?

Hoosier Girl- I'm a Hoosier Girl myself :)

Was ur surgery @ StV's r StFr?

Neither. My insurance denied me (my BMI was under 40 and had two co-morbidities, but they were managed by medication - so DENIED!). After getting over being mad, I got determined and found a center of excellence facility in Tijuana, verified the doctor's credentials and had surgery in Mexico. Would have preferred to stay closer to home, but believe things happen for a reason.

And your date is THIS WEEK! So excited for you...who is your doc?

Thanks to everyone for replies. Largely due to my comorbidities, I have been eating organic for a long time. I have been working with a nutritionist for 11 years! (And a personal trainer for 4...) So this surgery is as much a treatment opportunity for my autoimmune conditions as it is a tool to help me see the results of my efforts. I am definitely an emotional eater though, and even though I eat healthy food, I eat way too much. VSG should help with that. Keeping my fingers crossed surgery can be scheduled for Dec!

Amy