Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

Ukangel - i've spoken to a lovely nurse at droitwich when I first started my sojurn but as I'm only an hour from Sheffield that is where I had my consultation and where I'll have the procedure. My Surgeon is Mr Ackroyd. How much have you lost since you started? My sister and I have just been discussing portion size ( she's been offered surgery on NHS as she has type 2 diabetes) I still haven't let on to anyone about my forthcoming surgery though!

annie

Good luck Annie,

It may be tough to go from grazing to regular meals before the band, but I am confident that you will feel such a difference with the band, that you will feel fantastic.

Mind you pancake Day has been tough I managed to eat a half of a wheat free pancake! Still that is defintely keeping the pounds off and possibly losing :)

Hi Annie & LibertyS,

Im a confirmed grazer too and I used to tell another of my band mate that the hosp should hv banded my brain rather than my stomach cos Im thinking of good 24-7, even though I cant eat them. I do try it on but always end up having to finger it out cos its stuck like a golf ball in my chest and it hurts like hell. As Im filled to near max now on a band that only takes 7, Im finding it hard to eat anything these days. However somedays are better than others. I went pizza express yday with my kids, and can only stare at them eating, feeling sorry for myself cos I tried 2 pcs of their magarita pizza and ended up throwing it all up. But I soon cheer up at desert time, (which is bad) but I comforted myself thinking as I cant eat anything, 1/2 a pc of desert is not too bad. Im going to Dom Rep in 2 wks too and its All Inclusive and to Spain in July (half board), and Im thinking, oh no I wont be able to eat anything. I know the whole objective is to lose weight but HABITS are hard to conquer.

LibertyS, and any other uKBandster, Please can you all share any ideas on food on what you can eat esp when you are on holidays. Im abit bored with my smoothie, yogurt, Soup, fish & shepperd pie ALL the time. Those are the only food I can eat without throwing up.

Recently Ive started eating banana and it seems fine if I CHEW 20x b4 swallowing. As mentioned before I've lose 1 1/2stone (21lbs) since Sept 06. I would like to lose another 2 1/2stones (35lbs) which would take me down to 10stone (140lbs) which is the weight I would like to be. I have previously went down to 9 1/2 stone before and I looked truly haggard so wont want to go down anymore than 2 1/2 stone (35lbs)

So all advice on what food you all can eat would be much appreciated.

Regards

SaggiJ

Ukangel - i've spoken to a lovely nurse at droitwich when I first started my sojurn but as I'm only an hour from Sheffield that is where I had my consultation and where I'll have the procedure. My Surgeon is Mr Ackroyd. How much have you lost since you started? My sister and I have just been discussing portion size ( she's been offered surgery on NHS as she has type 2 diabetes) I still haven't let on to anyone about my forthcoming surgery though!

annie

Anniregs

I have lost nearly 2 stone in just over two weeks. Just shows how badly I was eating before the op!!!

Talking about telling people I had a friend visit from London and she is also overweight and she stated the evening conversation with ....would you consider having a lap band fitted..... She nearly fell off her chair when I lifted my shirt up and said I had more than considered it !! I had actually just had it done.

She was also worried about the surgery for herself but as she said her husband had just had his wisdom teeth out under general anesthetic!! So go for it and have confidence in your decision. At least you can talk to your sister.:clap2:

UKAngel I cannot belive 2 stone in 2 weeks!! omg!you have done brilliantly and really encourages me to carry on .. I have just paid the balance on this op and just hope it's all worth it. I have a fridge full of slimfast for the pre op stage :¬[

Saggi I have to tell you I went to an all inclusive in Cuba last summer - It was the only time I lost weight on a holiday!! there is only so much you can take of buffet style food- the thing you need to watch out for it the unlimited alcohol!

annie

Hi anniegs

I had surgery at sheffield by Mr |Ackroyd on the 24th january .

Good luck for your fourth coming surgery .

Just want you to know i could not of even contemplated driving home after this op . I also stayed overnight , but wouldnt of been able to drive . Please reconsider this .

Hi All

My names Sara, I live in Dorset and Im having surgery on April 2nd at a BMI hospital in Winchester, Im so pleased to see you have a UK thread! Everyone Ive talked to on here have been so helpful, its such a life line, to know whats to come and everyones experiences. I went out for my last 'dinner' tonight with my family, Im going to try and lose a stone before my op, as I was advised to by the dietician. They gave me a British heart foundation diet book, Ive sort of half heartedly tried to follow it, but my bad habits creep back in, do you guys have a local support group you attend where you live, or do you mostly get all of your support on here.Look forward to chatting to you on here soon.

Sara x

Oh dear lynne - everyone has you believe it's just mild discomfort - I figured I would just take it easy driving back! my daughter is at sheffield university so I may just go back to her digs for a few hours.

Dear Sara,

Good luck to yr forthcoming band op. Im live in Bstoke so, not far from you. Perhaps we cud meet up one day & exchange notes.

now here is a question I've been meaning to ask: immediately after the opp (now in exactly 1 week for me!!) can I use ordinary meds (painkillers etc) or do they have to be liquid form? I'm gonna have to go to the chemist and get a job lot of Vitamins and potions so I could do with a shopping list.. any advice?

annie

Liquid pain killers would be the best. As long as you want none prescriptive pain killers. I have to take a varied amount of different painkillers. For the night time I had to empty the capsule into a drink and take it that way. NASTY! Also you can chop them up into tiny pieces. So liquid is definitely the way to go.

As for Vitamins Bassets do a giant jelly chew (well not giant but big) that you can suck to deat. Now check the packaging the blackcurrant is for children, the red box is for teenagers and adults.

Hope this helps

Sx

Hi Annie,

The best things I found are: chewable Vitamins from Boots, Remegel chewable indigestion tablets and Nurofen meltlets (lemon flavoured pain killers that melt on the tongue) which I swore by! Hope this helps and good luck with the op.

Donna x.

Hiya,

just read saras post - so what did you all have for your last supper - I had about a month of them - lol - but my fave is chinese - kung po king prawn - just typing it is making my mouth Water. I haven't had a fill yet so more last suppers to come before then too - bloody terrible! somebody slap me.

Yvonne

x

Hi Yvonne,

I can guarantee you once you have your fill to a certain amount, you can wave goodbye to kung po chicken. I should know. Im chinese and Im finding it so hard cos I cant eat any chinese food now. 2 weeks ago was Chinese New Year, and we all went to a chinese restaurant to Celebrate. Poor me, I could only stare at the food, cos I tried to eat some black bean beef, and ended up pb it all out. Im definately not going for any chinese ever again cos its such a waste of money.

Hi saggij,

I've heard other bandsters saying chinese food is a no no with restriction - don't know what I'll do? :cry but where there's a will there's a way :(

Take care,

Yvonne

x