Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

Hi All!

SaggiJ: I'd love to meet up with you, it will be great to have someone fairly close to exchange notes! Ooo when did you have your surgery?

Yvonne: Ooooo Ive since had 3 last 'suppers!' and Im begining to worry slightly, as I have to lose weight before my op on the 2nd dietician said so....help...!!

I must have a chinese before its too late, and I cant too..

Yes Gc it's been really good to have a uk site, has really helped with the pre op nerves - am having my surgery next tuesday ooh er Mrs.. don't think I've done very well on my pre op diet though so hope they won't kick me out if my liver hasn't shrunk enough (not that anyone measured it at my consultation so how would they know if it had shrunk..). To those who were questioning my decision to drive myself home after the op as I hadn't told a soul... well you'll be glad to know that two of my friends volunteered to take and pick me up which is brilliant! Tomorrow Im off shopping for all the things i'll need so any more advice on what I might need would be much appreciate!

annie

Hi Sara,

Had my op back in Sept06. Surprisingly my Dr M didnt not tell me to diet as my bmi is borderline. Infact the eve before the op, the Dr told us (myself & 2 other bandsters doing the same op as me) to go and have our last summer. So the nite b4 my op I had steak with mushroom sauce and a mushroom Soup. But Im sure its varies depending on each indv.

Anniregs,

Good luck for next tues. Standby at home lots of liquid Protein Drinks, smoothie, light clear soup & yogurt as those are the only things u can only eat after the op, and u wont feel like driving to shop after the op.

Tracy, lucky you still able to hv chinese. How much fill hv you in yr band now??? Prob is Im near max so when I eat chinese, it only gets stuck. And believe me, its very very uncomfortable and painful when that happens.

I haven't been told what I can eat or not eat after the op but I assume it will be liquids, Soups, smoothies. I started my pre-op this morning for 10 days - all provided, milk shakes and Soups - all delicious too. I have a low BMI 32 but I was told about shrinking the liver so that it is easier for the surgeon to operate but also recovery is quicker so gotta stick to it.

Annieggs where are you having your op done??

when you say all provided GC53 do you mean that they came as part of your package?? hospital group don't do that - my god trying to make contact with them has been really hard - apart from them chasing the balance!! am having my op in sheffield ..

annie:spit:

Hi Guys,

Well Ive been trying to diet, yesterday just had a pear and a whooping evening meal! (not very good is it!)

Hows it going for you SaggiJ, weight loss wise?Since September? The dietician told me to folow the British heart foundation diet...and after she said not to buy slim fasts etc...but liquidise normal foods?

Gosh GCs3 you are lucky being given a pre op diet pack, maybe I should be doing that too, I wonder how much the liver actually shrinks by doing that? They said mine would be big (fatty etc)... I saw a reall good pre op list on the March bandsters site...I'll try and find it for you GC53

Ok here it is:

PREOPERATIVE SHOPPING LIST

This list contains items that some patients wish they had before their surgeries but didn't think of til later. It is compiled from suggestions by Mandy, Photonut, Archermom, NancySmiles and her LBSG support group (including Nancy, Del, Cindy, and Toni), Gadgetlady, and NancyRN.

Feel free to post your suggestions to add to our list. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

food

For Fluid stage:

• Bottled Water – plain or flavored, some like Propel or fruit 2-0

• Popsicles (sugar-free as needed)

• Crystal Light

• Crystal Light “On the GO” in different flavors - add to bottled water

Jello (sugar-free)

• Gatorade

• Bouillon or chicken/beef/veggie broths (low sodium as needed)*

• Ensure, Boost, Glucerna - or whatever Protein drink the Dietitian asked you to drink based on your history*

Protein powder for shakes*

• Frozen fruits for Protein shakes

• Clear Soups

Decaf tea

• Hot cocoa mix (sugar-free)

For creamy stage:

• Cream of Wheat

• Creamy Soups

• Applesauce

• Yogurt - Dannon Lite N' Fit

• "Imagine" Soups - in cartons (Potato Leek, Butternut, Squash, Corn, Creamy Tomato....and more. They are considerably lower in sodium than Campbell’s soups.)

• Soup-at-Hand soups

• Small pudding cups (sugar- and fat-free) - Take a spoonful to get meds to slide down easier

•Sugar-free gum (ask your doctor)

•Sugar-free breath mints (Ask your doctor)

*Make sure to taste each item before you buy them in bulk

DRUGSTORE

liquid medications

Tylenol (adult strength)

Pain medications

Gas-X or Phazyme

You will want these meds right away when you come home. It can be very difficult to find them in a liquid form. Check with the pharmacy beforehand to see if they stock them or how far in advance you will need to order them. At your preop visit (or earlier if needed), ask the doctor for prescriptions so that you will have them ready when you return home.

chewable Vitamins

• Stool softener

• Antihistamine cream, if you tend to get irritated by tape or bandages

Do not put directly on incision.

• Heating pad

• Flexible ice pack

• Pill cutter

• Gauze pads 4x4

• Non-irritating tape, such as paper tape

• Kitchen timer – for 15 minute sip intervals for the first few days

• Blender

• Wet Wipes or “adult baby wipes” like Cottonelle

• Toilet tongs (long barbeque tongs) – Use if you are just too sore after the surgery to reach around and wipe your “behind”. Just wrap the wipes around the end to get an additional few inches so you don’t have to contort yourself.:funnypost:

OTHER THINGS TO MAKE YOU COMFORTABLE

• A few books or movies

• Comfy clothes, such as loose-waisted shorts

• Slip-on shoes

• Squishy pillow for car ride -to cushion seatbuilt

• For women, a sports bra – “doc said no underwire for a few days”

THINGS TO DO BEFORE SURGERY

• Prepare your advance health care directive form, so key people can carry out healthcare decisions important to you if you are unable to so. Discuss your decisions with these key people, including family and doctors. One excellent way is to fill out your “Five Wishes” booklet. Obtain several weeks in advance from “Aging With Dignity”, 1-888-5-WISHES (1-888-594-7437). You can obtain other formats from your hospital or online.

• Cook some chicken before surgery. Save the broth and freeze it in very small containers (ice cube trays work well). This broth has less sodium than store brands, if you have a salt problem.

• Check if your medications are “crushable” (able to be crushed without causing problem with effectiveness).

• Get rid of all the foods in the house you are not to eat, before you go to the hospital.

• Buy all the groceries you will need for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

• Catch up on your laundry and housecleaning.

• Make arrangements for someone else to prepare family meals – You may not feel like cooking for some time.

• Get a manicure or pedicure.

when you say all provided GC53 do you mean that they came as part of your package?? hospital group don't do that - my god trying to make contact with them has been really hard - apart from them chasing the balance!! am having my op in sheffield ..

annie:spit:

Yes - Consultation, shakes and Soups for the pre-op diet, the 'op', adjustments for the next 12 months, soluble Vitamins, support all included.

I was like that with another group when I had my gastic balloon. The girl who sat and talked with me for about 3 hours before I had it done left the company within a week of me having it done. No one told me or contacted me so I was phoning all over to try to find out what was going on. Yes once they get their mitts on your hard earned cash ...........

Hi there,

Are your Soups and shakes in packs that you have to mix up?

Just wondering....

Also because I'm such a nosy mare,:) who are you having your surgery with?

I 'm booked in with Dr Anfroy in Paris, Flying out on 18th op on 21st!

No pre op diet needed, however I will be following Lighter LIfe for a week as I've got a week's supply in the cupboard.

Hi there,

Are your Soups and shakes in packs that you have to mix up?

Just wondering....

Also because I'm such a nosy mare,:) who are you having your surgery with?

I 'm booked in with Dr Anfroy in Paris, Flying out on 18th op on 21st!

No pre op diet needed, however I will be following Lighter LIfe for a week as I've got a week's supply in the cupboard.

Yes they are - they are called Weight to Go. Absolutely delicious I have to say. Imagined that they would be really bland. Did fine yesterday and didn't even manage to fit in the allocated amount of shakes and soups. Had a vanilla shake with a banana added for Breakfast, a chicken and herb Soup for lunch. Later made one of the shakes with more Water and added a spoonful of coffee granules so made like a thick coffee drink. Had a load of steamed vegetabled for evening meal and then made one of the strawberry shakes with very little Water and added raspberries and blueberries to make a dessert type thing [found this very very sweet though]

So first day went very well.

Having surgery in Manchester with Mr Ashton and two other surgeons - sorry can't remember their names without going to get my papers out.

I thought of going abroad but just thought that you still have to pay for everything else including fills/adjustments or any other consults so figured it was just as well to pay and have everything included.

So..... what price are you paying..... REallly nosey I know, I hope you don't mind...I'm paying 4500 Euro plus £75 per fill....

OOOOhhhhh that's gonna hurt your bank balance!

Still I hope that it's worth it for you.

Ought really to breakdown my costs further

4500 (£3126).band and clinic

£58.40 flights

125Euro (83.20)hotel room for two nights.

3 fills @ £100

Grand total: £3567

I've taken the average amount of fills needed to reach that all important sweet spot, but I'm probably going to be awkward and need loads of adjustments!! I haven't included the shopping opportunities that I'll have in Paris either!!!

OOOOhhhhh that's gonna hurt your bank balance!

Still I hope that it's worth it for you.

Ought really to breakdown my costs further

4500 (£3126).band and clinic

£58.40 flights

125Euro (83.20)hotel room for two nights.

3 fills @ £100

Grand total: £3567

I've taken the average amount of fills needed to reach that all important sweet spot, but I'm probably going to be awkward and need loads of adjustments!! I haven't included the shopping opportunities that I'll have in Paris either!!!

When you break it down like that it looks like a fantastic saving. But I would have double the flights and hotel room as I would want hubby to go with me. Also I didn't know how many 'fills' were needed. The band I'm having isn't filled as such it is adjusted electronically. And how long will you actually be away? Are you in hospital overnight or two nights? I will be going Sunday morning and will be home by Monday lunch [hopefully] - I run my own business and just need to be away for as little time as possible. I run from home so I can recover plenty at home but need to be near my phone and computer. Can't afford to lose business with this to pay for!!!!!:)