Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UK Local Lap-Band Support

Hi,

I was surprised to see that there's not a UK specific group, anyone know how to get it started?

I know that a the WLS site has a lot of members but you have to pay :omg: and I'm saving all my money for the op! Anyway, this site is more fun - I find the tickers fascinating!!

Any ideas?? :help:

Tazza

Hi , I would defo visit the tread if there was one specific for UK.

I have no idea how to set one up though ,Sorry . :Bunny

I am going to have my banding done on the 9th March 2007 at the St jan hospital I live in the north East of England and would like any practical advice. I have not arranged flights or ferries yet any info would be gratefull

Hiya everyone!!

Tazzamaraz

I'm with you on the 'needing to save every penny'!

When and where do you hope to get your op done?

I should have enough by August which would be a good time for me to have it done with the kids being off school, I will find the liquid diets easier in the summer with all the steaming hot weather we have (NOT!!!!!!!!).

I reckon I will be going off to Belgium to have mine but I am interested to learn a bit more about the new band that is adjusted by computer rather than having a port and fills. Sounds better but I bet it'll be expensive.

patbb

Where is the hospital you are having your op done?The name doesn't sound familiar but then I am new to all of this!

xKatie

Hi,

I had my op on the Nhs - I'm one of the lucky ones - but not when it comes to fills - the Nhs leaves a lot to be desired in that department - where I am anyhow - got to wait 5 months for mine - here's hoping I keep losing till the 26 Apr.

Good luck with your ops,

Yvonne

x

Yvonne you have done really well considering you have had no fill!:clap2:

Imagine how the weightwill come off with restriction!

By the way everyone, I am going to contact a moderator to find out if we can have our own uk thread under this category.

Hi

Just to let you know I had my band fitted by Dr Dillmans in The St Jans, lovely hospital, they could teach ours a thing or two. Have my fills in Barnes London, I am from Portsmouth and have had the band since May 2006. I have only lost around 30lbs at the moment and have now had five fills and think my last one may be the one, it's only been a week so hopefully I will now see a bigger weight loss.

Hello there,

Glad to see some UK bandster in this website. Had my op back in Jul06 in Belgium and only lose 1 stone. Had my 4th fill to the max (6.8cc in my band now) 2 weeks ago,and finally feel the band could be doing the job. Lose another 1/2stone so far. Because I suffers fm an underactive thyroid, I fear my weight lost will be slow but Im hopeful as I have tried everything else. I started at 14st, now down to 12 1/2 stone (7 months duration). If you have any advice for me, please roll them in.

Hi Saggi,

I suffer from an underactive thyroid as well and I had my band done in Belgium as well!

I had my band done in October 06, had my first fill a week ago. I have been pretty fortunate I have managed to lose 2 stone so far, I still have a long way to go, but it is important to focus on the positives.

It is so easy for things to go awry if you want to sabotage yourself! I noticed that when I plateaued and nothing seemed to shift the weight I hit the sweets again and they slide down so easily. Luckily I only put 5lbs on and it bounced up and down between the 5lbs til I got the fill. I am now officialy into the 15stone arena so only another 4 stone to go! God doesn't that sound huge when you say it like that??

By the way Saggi, you have done really well with your weight! Especially with having the underactive thyroid. Just think without the band you wouldn't be losing any weight. I had hoped when it was finally diagnosed that the tablets would help my body to kick off the weight, I was sorely disappointed. The band was my last hope and it really was the best investment I have made.

The fill doctor told me to expect it to take a year for me to get close to my ideal weight, so don't be impatient. I must admit I laughed because I had been bewailing what to me seemed like a mediocre weight loss.

So what areas are all the UK folks from?

Suzannexx

Hi,

I've got the thyroid problems too - how much thyroxine are you on? I'm on 250mg daily. Wondering if it'd be cheeky to ask the doc for an up in the dosage cos I'm sure I'm still underactive - will need to ask for a new blood test too.

Four stone to go - that's brilliant - I'm jealous - I've got twice that yet.

We'll get there.

Yvonne

x

I've got the thyroid problems too - how much thyroxine are you on? I'm on 250mg daily. Wondering if it'd be cheeky to ask the doc for an up in the dosage cos I'm sure I'm still underactive - will need to ask for a new blood test too.

Four stone to go - that's brilliant - I'm jealous - I've got twice that yet.

I am lucky I only have to take 75mcg. They caught me early enough. But, I must admit I rounded up to a 100mcg, haven't told the doctors yet, but I have felt a lot better since doing it.

It's certainly worth chatting to your doc. I was quite suprised at how you suddenly start to recognise when your thyroid is out of whack. One sign for me is dark hairs growing on my chin! Also waking up as if I haven't slept much.

I suspect the docs have recognised I've upped my dose. When I got my repeat prescription, they only gave me 50mcg tablets instead of a mix of both!

You have done brilliantly with your weight loss Yvonne! I'm jealous ;) I'm sure you will be soon on the go fast downward slope and whizzing past me!

Way Ay the UK girls!!!! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :bump2: :rockon: ;):)

Hi Liberty,

Im on 100mcg for the last 3 years. When my weight started climbing upward, I kept going to the doc and my thyroid consultant for blood tests and beg them to up my dose. Some days I get so fedup, I up it to 200mcg myself. Im constantly cold too. But the doc kept saying the dose they gave me is correct. Recently I went back to my country (not UK) and went to see my family doctor and asked him to prescribed me to with more thyroidxine. Since coming back to UK last month, I have been using 200mcg. I have more energy now. Still feel the cold, but I dare not up it to 300mcg incase I go back to overactive thyroid again. (I was previously overactive thryoid for 4 years and never put on a single pound before the doc sent me to the hospital to treat it. After the treatment, whereby I had to take some radioactive iodine drink, I went underactive, and put on 3stones)

Its very hard to stay positive at times because the weight is not coming off quick enough. As I mentioned before, I've filled up to the max now. My band only take 7ml. And Im filled up to 6.8ml 2 weeks ago. Im very worry that because I am underactive the weight WONT come off. But reading yours and Yvonne email put me in a more positive mind frame. Thank you. I went to Chimay as well under Dr Debray.

:) :) :) Lots of hugs for you Saggi. I know how you feel, it is heartbreaking when the weight climbs on and you do everything to stop it and nothing moves or keeps climbing steadily up.

I truly hope that the band will do it's job for you now that you are feeling a bit more restriction. Have you talked to anyone about what you eat?

I went to a fill doctor in Telford and one of the first things we talked about was the sort of eating regime I should be on. If I had any gripe about Chimay, it would be that they did not give us enough information about how we should eat.

Dr Diggory told me that basically I should be on a Atkins style diet, concentrating on eating the Protein first, then set to work on the rest of the plate. That simple sentence has made the whole thing make more sense to me. And, he also poo poos not drinking Water during a meal, he considers it stuff and nonsense. It has made my life a lot easier. Drinking helps me feel fuller without cutting my food drastically, I don't stress trying to balance drinking and eating.

I hope that everything works out for you and you start to conquer your thyroid!

Hi Guys,

I am being banded next week by Mr Rogers at The Princess Grace Hospital. Has anyone been banded by him?

I have full confidence in him but am a little nervous about the whole thing.