Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Hi All,

Re Tammys and Mrs Huskers post about telling only people that need to know:

I was in an awkward situation yesterday, I told my boss that I was going to be off for 2 weeks in April, and he kept questioning me what it was for, so I told him...and do you know what he said?? Why dont you just diet!! So I said I have, for many many years and each time I lose the weight I put it back on and more some, and I have reached the stage that I need help....then he asked me what my BMI was and I explained that I didnt want to say, anyway he got it out of me, then he turned round and said well Sara...you may need to check this out with HR (as its my choice etc) I nearly exploded, and said Im doing it for health reasons, and my own Dr is supporting me and feels it is a good idea.....I just felt crap folks :)

You know what sweetie?? YOU DO NEED TO TALK TO HR>>> about your freaking Boss. He crossed all kinds of lines and could/should get into all kinds of trouble. You are not required by any law to discuss personal matters such as that. I am very angry about this... They are not or should not be allowed to do that.

grrrrrr

Thanks synicalchick, I agree he has crossed the line....Im going to see what happens next...I'll go to HR if he does question me or says anything else, I hate conforntation.

oh Sara sweet friend that just sucks!!!!! i agree you should report that behavior. it stinks that on top of everything you have to deal with idiots!!!!

I went to the grocery store and stocked up on "clear liquids" for when I get home - now a trip to Walmart for a granny gown, sports bra and strechy clothes to wear in TJ after the operation and I'm all set :)

Actually my surgery is March 8th so a week from today. What type of Protein Shakes have you heard are the "best"..or at least which are the most tolerable?

I like the Unjury. Others swear by Isopure mix but I think the sample I got wasn't a full serving or something.

Hey all! I plagiarized this list from NancyRN on another thread so that I could make sure you all got a look at it. It is REALLY good:

PREOPERATIVE SHOPPING LIST

This list contains items that some patients wish they had before their surgeries but didn't think of til later. It is compiled from suggestions by Mandy, Photonut, Archermom, NancySmiles and her LBSG support group (including Nancy, Del, Cindy, and Toni), Gadgetlady, and NancyRN.

Feel free to post your suggestions to add to our list. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

food

For Fluid stage:

• Bottled Water – plain or flavored, some like Propel or fruit 2-0

• Popsicles (sugar-free as needed)

• Crystal Light

• Crystal Light “On the GO” in different flavors - add to bottled water

Jello (sugar-free)

• Gatorade

• Bouillon or chicken/beef/veggie broths (low sodium as needed)*

• Ensure, Boost, Glucerna - or whatever Protein drink the Dietitian asked you to drink based on your history*

Protein powder for shakes*

• Frozen fruits for Protein shakes

• Clear Soups

Decaf tea

• Hot cocoa mix (sugar-free)

For creamy stage:

• Cream of Wheat

• Creamy Soups

• Applesauce

• Yogurt - Dannon Lite N' Fit

• "Imagine" Soups - in cartons (Potato Leek, Butternut, Squash, Corn, Creamy Tomato....and more. They are considerably lower in sodium than Campbell’s soups.)

• Soup-at-Hand soups

• Small pudding cups (sugar- and fat-free) - Take a spoonful to get meds to slide down easier

•Sugar-free gum (ask your doctor)

•Sugar-free breath mints (Ask your doctor)

*Make sure to taste each item before you buy them in bulk

DRUGSTORE

liquid medications

Tylenol (adult strength)

Pain medications

Gas-X or Phazyme

You will want these meds right away when you come home. It can be very difficult to find them in a liquid form. Check with the pharmacy beforehand to see if they stock them or how far in advance you will need to order them. At your preop visit (or earlier if needed), ask the doctor for prescriptions so that you will have them ready when you return home.

chewable Vitamins

• Stool softener

• Antihistamine cream, if you tend to get irritated by tape or bandages

Do not put directly on incision.

• Heating pad

• Flexible ice pack

• Pill cutter

• Gauze pads 4x4

• Non-irritating tape, such as paper tape

• Kitchen timer – for 15 minute sip intervals for the first few days

• Blender

• Wet Wipes or “adult baby wipes” like Cottonelle

• Toilet tongs (long barbeque tongs) – Use if you are just too sore after the surgery to reach around and wipe your “behind”. Just wrap the wipes around the end to get an additional few inches so you don’t have to contort yourself.:funnypost:

OTHER THINGS TO MAKE YOU COMFORTABLE

• A few books or movies

• Comfy clothes, such as loose-waisted shorts

• Slip-on shoes

• Squishy pillow for car ride -to cushion seatbuilt

• For women, a sports bra – “doc said no underwire for a few days”

THINGS TO DO BEFORE SURGERY

• Prepare your advance health care directive form, so key people can carry out healthcare decisions important to you if you are unable to so. Discuss your decisions with these key people, including family and doctors. One excellent way is to fill out your “Five Wishes” booklet. Obtain several weeks in advance from “Aging With Dignity”, 1-888-5-WISHES (1-888-594-7437). You can obtain other formats from your hospital or online.

• Cook some chicken before surgery. Save the broth and freeze it in very small containers (ice cube trays work well). This broth has less sodium than store brands, if you have a salt problem.

• Check if your medications are “crushable” (able to be crushed without causing problem with effectiveness).

• Get rid of all the foods in the house you are not to eat, before you go to the hospital.

• Buy all the groceries you will need for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

• Catch up on your laundry and housecleaning.

• Make arrangements for someone else to prepare family meals – You may not feel like cooking for some time.

• Get a manicure or pedicure.<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

I just woke up. I work nights 6pm til 6am....so even though I go in tomorrow....I don't sleep between now and then so it feels like it's today! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All I have left to do is wipe down the kitchen counters and take out the trash, other than that I'm prepared for the weekend. Not mentally of course, but I think I've mentioned that before. One thing I thought of that is going to help me through...maybe some of you have had the same experience...the only other surgery I've had was one where they had to cut me wide open (well it was like a c section cut...even though I don't have kids)...and this can NOT be NEARLY as bad as that. So that helps calm me down a little bit. Only a little bit. Hopefully it'll all be over before I know it.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brandi and this is my first post. Thanks to everyone for all the great info out there. I go for my pre-op apt on the 7th and my surgery is scheduled for the 14th. I am not quite sure what to expect but I am excited also. I was reading the list of pointers but any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make a list to start getting this weekend so I will be somewhat prepared.

Thanks,

Brandi :clap2:

:welcomeB: CuddleNymph!!!!!! I will add you to our list. When is your surgery date? The 14th or the 17th??? Good Luck to You!!!

Go to www.tickerfactory.com for a ticker, then click on User CP, edit signature and paste the forum code into your signature.

I think today is going to be my worst day. What is it now.. technically my 2nd day post? surgery was Tuesday. ANywho.. I woke up feeling like acj_monkey.gif pack of wild cj_monkey.gifdrunk cj_monkey.gifmonkeys cj_monkey.gifwas partying in cj_monkey.gifmy abdomen all night. cj_monkey.gif

The part up by my ribcage/diaphram where the ports located is hard and swollen and all my other places I didn't feel before are starting to protest. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little better.. I'm having a few minor gas pains for the 1st time today too. It's v. uncomfy to breath deep at all and I lose my breath v. easily.

Also, it is v. uncomfortable when my stomach starts growling It almost hurts... and I'm just on liquids right now so that's a lot. I shall prevail though.... sniffak_crying.gif

Synicalchick, I was thinking about you this morning! You are doing great! Take it easy and this too shall pass!!!

Actually my surgery is March 8th so a week from today. What type of Protein Shakes have you heard are the "best"..or at least which are the most tolerable?

I'm using Six Star whey Protein Powder in vanilla from Walmart. It's the only one I've tried so far. It tastes pretty good and it does the job!

Good Luck annalee and hlayne and to the others being banded tomorrow!!! :)

I'll put in my two cents. My favorite, so far, is the Muscle Milk Light.

(I've only tried the vanilla cream.)

The Unjury vanilla is my 2nd favorite.

HATE the Designer Whey brand, thought I was gonna vomit!